• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Extreme Dolfinism

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks Fondueset! I've decided this is going to be the year of the monofin for me and right now, it seems like either the Dolfin or perhaps the Lunocet (depending on how the reviews shake out) may be the way to go. Knowing that you've had a good experience with it. . . especially in relation to the Starfin and in cold water to boot is very reassuring that I'm not barking up the wrong tree. As it currently stands, my biggest concern with the Dolfin really has to do with portability. It seems like it could be quite a thing to pack on trips (not that a standard mono would be much easier). . . though perhaps I'll just stick to using bi-fins on vacations. Thanks again for all the information!

Thanks Fondueset! I've decided this is going to be the year of the monofin for me and right now, it seems like either the Dolfin or perhaps the Lunocet (depending on how the reviews shake out) may be the way to go. Knowing that you've had a good experience with it. . . especially in relation to the Starfin and in cold water to boot is very reassuring that I'm not barking up the wrong tree. As it currently stands, my biggest concern with the Dolfin really has to do with portability. It seems like it could be quite a thing to pack on trips (not that a standard mono would be much easier). . . though perhaps I'll just stick to using bi-fins on vacations. Thanks again for all the information!

The Orca is largish - though not as big as a mono fin. The blade comes off easily. the X-20 is smaller. I would rate them as very portable. - In fact, disassembled, they take up less space than a pair of freediving fins. No problem fitting either one into a reasonably sized suitcase.

The Orca is largish - though not as big as a mono fin. The blade comes off easily. the X-20 is smaller. I would rate them as very portable. - In fact, disassembled, they take up less space than a pair of freediving fins. No problem fitting either one into a reasonably sized suitcase.

Wow! Well that is certainly a pleasant surprise! It looks like now it's just down to performance/bang-for-the-buck and all. How exciting! Oh man, it's going to be a looooooooong winter. . . ;)

Wow! Well that is certainly a pleasant surprise! It looks like now it's just down to performance/bang-for-the-buck and all. How exciting! Oh man, it's going to be a looooooooong winter. . . ;)
You should contact Ron directly - I'll clue him into your interest. For rec diving I'd probably go with the x-20 - connor has been using a similar model and he is a very very experienced freeder.

You should contact Ron directly - I'll clue him into your interest. For rec diving I'd probably go with the x-20 - connor has been using a similar model and he is a very very experienced freeder.

Thanks for the advice. Conner had recommended the x-20 to me earlier and seems very pleased with it. Watching some of his videos, it looks like a very capable fin/foil. I especially enjoyed the interest the dolphins seemed to show in swimming with it. I'm definitely looking at that as an option, especially given the Orca's overall price difference. Since I'm not interest in competitions, I'm just looking to maximize the efficiency balanced with comfort, the x-20 may just be the way to go. My only concern with the x-20 is that, well, I'd have the x-20 and not the Orca. . heh heh!

Thanks for the advice. Conner had recommended the x-20 to me earlier and seems very pleased with it. Watching some of his videos, it looks like a very capable fin/foil. I especially enjoyed the interest the dolphins seemed to show in swimming with it. I'm definitely looking at that as an option, especially given the Orca's overall price difference. Since I'm not interest in competitions, I'm just looking to maximize the efficiency balanced with comfort, the x-20 may just be the way to go. My only concern with the x-20 is that, well, I'd have the x-20 and not the Orca. . heh heh!

Dolphins LOVE it when you swim the way they do.

Ron sent me these two models to test - I'm just letting you know I have no investment at all with him. I don't own the fins and if they sucked I'd probably just be quiet about it and let the videos do the talking. The fact is they definitely don't suck. They are extremely well-designed, simple and very durable. I don't know what would ever break. Based on what Eric Fattah and Connor have said -and having seen Natalia Molchanova's video - if performance is your key criteria - get a 32 inch blade. If portability is more important then go with something smaller. If you dive in cold water - size the shoes for thick socks! I'd like to see Ron come up with a two-piece blade design.

Last trip to KL I put an ORCA (32" blade), an X-20, my bi-fins, all my gear and clothes in one suitcase. Travel is easy with them, and with the Lunocet too, I suspect. Good thing my bi-fins are crap and easy to bend, or I could never have gotten them in there. As for a normal monofin - nothing but a nightmare to travel with, and probably costs extra money as well.

Since I got my straps sorted out, I have not used the X-20 in the pool. The ORCA is just as easy to use and put on as the X-20 now.

Last trip to KL I put an ORCA (32" blade), an X-20, my bi-fins, all my gear and clothes in one suitcase. Travel is easy with them, and with the Lunocet too, I suspect. As for a normal monofin - nothing but a nightmare to travel with, and probably costs extra money as well.
It's true - my star fin needs it's own box and I break into a sweat every time I change planes.

The fact is they definitely don't suck.

Haha! That's always good news! :p

In all seriousness, having read quite a bit on them they sound like a stellar option. While performance (in terms of efficiency, not speed) is important to me, I'm no where near good enough to worry about splitting hairs too much about it. I just need to make sure it is a significant improvement over my bi-fins as I really do love the mobility/flexibility they provide. I'm guessing the 32" is going to be my better bet for this if for no other reason than ensuring that the difference is more substantial.

Haha! That's always good news! :p

In all seriousness, having read quite a bit on them they sound like a stellar option. While performance (in terms of efficiency, not speed) is important to me, I'm no where near good enough to worry about splitting hairs too much about it. I just need to make sure it is a significant improvement over my bi-fins as I really do love the mobility/flexibility they provide. I'm guessing the 32" is going to be my better bet for this if for no other reason than ensuring that the difference is more substantial.
You should talk with Connor - PM him. He went from bifins (for like a zillion years) to the x-18 and can give you the most credible information. I've had the good fortune to dive with Connor. You could not do better for an accurate review.

Last trip to KL I put an ORCA (32" blade), an X-20, my bi-fins, all my gear and clothes in one suitcase. Travel is easy with them, and with the Lunocet too, I suspect. Good thing my bi-fins are crap and easy to bend, or I could never have gotten them in there. As for a normal monofin - nothing but a nightmare to travel with, and probably costs extra money as well.

Since I got my straps sorted out, I have not used the X-20 in the pool. The ORCA is just as easy to use and put on as the X-20 now.

Awesome! My current bi-fins are 20 Fathoms Edge (fiberglass) and those suckers are nearly indestructible yet still have a nice, flexible "whip" on them when you kick. Traveling with those, I just toss them into a duffle bag with the rest of my dive gear and over the past 5 years, they've held up great (Get to test that again tomorrow as I head down to Grand Cayman, so I probably just jinxed myself). I'm not saying I would do anything of the sort with a monofin, but it's nice to know that with the Dolfin or Lunocet, I won't need a whole other box/bag for them.

You should talk with Connor - PM him. He went from bifins (for like a zillion years) to the x-18 and can give you the most credible information. I've had the good fortune to dive with Connor. You could not do better for an accurate review.

Thanks Fondueset. He actually has mentioned that in the past (speaks highly of you as well) and has given me a wealth of information on his X-18 experience and FRC stuff. He's been a tremendous help! (It just occurred to me that you may not realize who I am, but this is Erich down in Grand Haven. . .you've given me some help the past 2 years or so through FB. . . sorry if that was vague otherwise!)

Thanks Fondueset. He actually has mentioned that in the past (speaks highly of you as well) and has given me a wealth of information on his X-18 experience and FRC stuff. He's been a tremendous help! (It just occurred to me that you may not realize who I am, but this is Erich down in Grand Haven. . .you've given me some help the past 2 years or so through FB. . . sorry if that was vague otherwise!)
Hey Erich,

If you'd like to try out one of these fins and can get up here - just let me know. I also plan to either attend - or send the fins to Freedive-a-palooza next summer.

This is the way I transport my blades - is a piece of plastic fencepost. I can stuff a bunch of t-shirts in there too. Cheap, simple, and effective.

Attachments

• P3020007.JPG
    P3020007.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 191
Fun! Thanks for the offer! The stretch of Jan.-Apr. I usually don't make it up there much, but once May hits, I'm usually up about once a week or so (gotta get out and find some morels). Perhaps I could meet you at the civic center or something one of those trips and give it a go. . . .provide my impulsive and over-eager nature hasn't gotten the better of me by then. ;)

Fun! Thanks for the offer! The stretch of Jan.-Apr. I usually don't make it up there much, but once May hits, I'm usually up about once a week or so (gotta get out and find some morels). Perhaps I could meet you at the civic center or something one of those trips and give it a go. . . .provide my impulsive and over-eager nature hasn't gotten the better of me by then. ;)
Sounds great. Open water should be available in May as well. (hard to believe with the current ice!)

Sounds great. Open water should be available in May as well. (hard to believe with the current ice!)

The way this winter has been going, I wouldn't be surprised if I still need a shovel in May. This has been one heck of a year. Lake Michigan looks like something out of a Sci-Fi movie. Talk about a frozen waste-land. We're right across the road from the lake and when I look out at it on my drives into town, I half-expect to see a Tauntaun traipsing around out there!

Reactions: neurodoc
Fondue, have you done enough open water with the Dolfins to compare how tired you feel after a session of equivalent dives, starfin vs Dolfin?

I found that I was less tired at the end of the day with the Dolfin vs fiberglass medium bifins. What is your experience?

Fondue, have you done enough open water with the Dolfins to compare how tired you feel after a session of equivalent dives, starfin vs Dolfin?

I found that I was less tired at the end of the day with the Dolfin vs fiberglass medium bifins. What is your experience?
Hi Connor, The difference in open water is less noticeable than in the pool. I would not say I was any more tired with the dol-fin.
It was interesting how quickly I could move along just using my ankles. As mentioned the shorter blade was a bit of a struggle to get down with in my 5 mil suit.

In the pool sessions I was using timed breathe-ups in a workout that I do every day, so I got a pretty precise readout on relative performance.

I will say it took a little longer to make my 400 meter swim, and pulling the float was more like being in low gear. Fatigue-wise no big difference though.

Please accept my apologies if this has already been posted. I contains the most incredible footage I have seen with dolfins interacting with the Dol-fin.

The Dol-fin footage starts at 7:22 and lasts about a minute. The narrator incorrectly identifies the fin as the Lunocet, haha sorry REVAN! It is a great testimonial to your work, that it receives such support among actual dolfins!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT