• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin Lineup - Any Questions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Agreed.

With the Matrix blades being flat I was figuring on having to do some foot stretching to make up for the lack of molded-in bend, but the flex made up for it and then some. The new Omer Millenium pockets have a tad of bend in them as well, so maybe that helps too.

I'm write :head smack in the middle of my fin write up with the Matrix and Specialfins blades, so stay tuned.

Ben,
Does the paint crack when the fin bends? I thought about painting my fins several times on cold weekends, but never actually done it.

review.php
Here are some fins painted locally here in Hawaii. Not sure if the paint cracks but looks pretty cool to me.

Great Post, Ben!.....ya big weakling :D. I kid I kid.

I was wonderin when someone was going to bust out the Mtechnics. I very briefly used a pair last August when Lisa and Rich (those cheery Brits) visited Jon and I. Lisa's foot was one size smaller than mine, but I managed to get my bare foot into the Omer 38-40. I don't know if her fins were med or hard, but from what I experienced, they were just as snappy as Jon's C4's, but were considerably softer. The construction/carbon-pattern of the two fins looked pretty similar.

I also got to use a pair of Attacks while I was in Cozumel, and I'm sorry to say, I was not impressed. They felt 'dead' compared to my [bent] fiberplastic fins. Of course, they were a bit stiff for me, and I was strictly freediving when I tried em; so I can't speak from a spearing standpoint. But hey, if you know a way to get em to work well, maybe rig will have to find a new TV tray.

Ted

I also had a chance to try the M-tech's, but could barely get my bare foot inside the foot pocket and only had them on for a couple of minutes. THey seemed like nice fins, but I wish I could have really given them a go.

I have used other fins that I don't think I listed before. The first pair of long fins I tried were some all-rubber Cressi-sub Gara's back in the early 80's. They were long fins, but the whole darn thing was rubber. Still, they were pretty sweet for the time. I also owned a pair of the old Cressi's, with the interchangeable footpockets and the yellow blades. I had Deassults that were distributed by Dacor at the time, and some Esclapez Black fins.

Adding up all of my hard earned money has led me to narrow my fin choices down to something similar to Ben's. I like my C4-40's for deep stuff, my Sporasub Radicals for spearfishing and my Sporasub Cruises for hockey.

I am still try to work out the details on this monofinning sutff, but I have only had a chance to take mine down to about 20 meters so far, then everything started to freeze-up on us.;) We'll have to see how that goes, for me, come spring. As of right now I am still way more comfortable with bi-fins as they allow me so many different kicking choices while diving.

BTW: who sells M-tech's in the US?

Jon

Picasso twisters

Picasso twisters? Those must have cost you some cash!

I remember looking at pair when I was at DEMA a few years back and they were asking $715 for them! :(

Where they any better than the C4's?

Jon

Nice post Ben, I can't disagree with you because I am just starting the "long and expensive pilgrimage" as you put it. At least this pilgrimage is cheaper than the one I was doing over the last few years with technical diving gear:)

I only own 2 sets of fins right now, neither of which are ideal for me so I decided to bite the bullet and get a set of the Hybrids from Specialfins instead of just mounting my Sporasub blades into Omer footpockets. I was toying with the idea of getting a set of C4 blades but I wanted something more durable because 90% of my diving is from shore and takes place in areas with a rocky bottom.

I am eagerly awaiting Sven’s fin review and in a few weeks, I’ll be able to add my own devalued 2 cents.

BTW- Jyri was as helpful as ever – it’s so easy to give him money:D

Ash

The evaluations are done and forwarded to Paul for use as an article, so it's on him now.

I will say that the C4-40s I have are now the the C4-40's I had. ;) What's the currency in Estonia anyway? :confused:

Hiya Ben,

I have to opportunity to buy some Sporasub fins at a really good price and they are new. Mares/Sporasub quattro's or Sporasub Variants. I primarily spearfish, but have decided to start doing a bit of depth too, I normally spear at a max of around 8m but am keen to get down to around 15. I have been leaning towards the quattros and you rekon they are no good for depth. Just wondering if the quattro's would be ok at this sort of depth or if the variants (with normal blades not carbon fibre) would be better or none of teh above.

Cheers
Oz

Ozzy,

you can get to that kind of depth with the Quattro/cruise's, but there are better choices out there.

You said you could get some Varient's, but what about just a regular pair of Sporasub's? The basic Sporasub fin, in plastic, is fairly cheap and one of the best plastic fins I have ever used. That way you could switch to better blades in the future is you ever felt the need.

The Varient's have had some durability issues and the fin blades are not interchangeable with other companies- only Sporasub. If you get the plain Sporasub fin you could use their foot pockets with many different blades- like Sporasub, C4, M-tech, Matrix, Specialfins, and Waterway to name a few.

Jon

thanks Jon,

So you reckon the variants are not too bad, with the plastic fins? Don't think they'd be too much of an over kill for me to maybe?? get to a depth of 15m? I can get hold of new blades for the sporasub variants if they decide to break no worries at all...and you are right the variants are a bit cheaper than the quattro's.

Oz

FYI:
SpecialFins deals in EUR not EEK.

Sven, I'm very much looking forward to your verdict!!!

Cheers,
Mikko

G'day mikko,

was wondering how long it would be till i spoke with you again. How you been?

The special fins look really good but I just don't have the dosh, can't try em on, and dread to think what will happen if i have a problem. and the euro costs about 60 aussie cents which means 299EUR = heaps of aussie$. :waterwork Money i just don't have.

Oz

Oz,

If you live near Brisbane (I have no idea where Gladstone is) you prolly could see them in flesh at Brett's store in weeks time or so.

I do understand what you are saying, but the distance will not affect our customer service in any way.......transport times are only longer.

No need to be sorry...we are not going anywhere.:)
Next time then.

Cheers,
Mikko

Ozzy - I know what you mean. The NZ dollar is even worse than yours in relation to the Euro, so those prices look harsh but I reckon the product is worth the money.

As for long bladed fins being overkill, I don't think so. The Quattros are a great scuba fin (one of the best perhaps although I still prefer Cressi Frogs or Scubapro Jets) but for freediving, even shallow freediving, a set of long bladed freedive fins just can't be beat.

I like the way the Sporasub blades feel in the water and I would suggest that you follow John's advice if you can. Grab a set of standard Sporasubs rather than the Variants and you get what is probably a better fin, which will also give you more options in the future.

You can get them at a great price from the DB Scubastore, even with shipping from Spain, they were still NZ$75-100 cheaper than NZ local retail prices.

Cheers

Ash

Variants v. Quattro

I totally agree with the comments above on normal sporasubs over the variants, and I can add an extra reason - the footpockets. These are really designed to be worn without socks especially in the case of the quattros, but the normal sporasub ones are best designed for wearing with socks.

Painting fins

Those hawaiian ones look OK. Mine are black, and I learnt a few things on the way....I orignally sprayed them with car paint and then covered them in a layer of fibreglass resin. Bad idea. It all cracked off on the first go where the fin flexes most. The polycarbonate paint is great. It can get scratched off, but dosen't come off from fin flexing (the paint is deigned to be flexible).

Attacks and Radicals

Should have mentioned this, sorry. As a stock fin, I much prefer the radicals. Due to the corrugations, they 'wiggle' a lot less. They are also softer, in fact the softest fin I have used. The only bad point to these fins is the Colour of the upper side. If it had the same colour as the underside on top - I would still be using them. As it is, my wife uses them (on her annual dive....). I like the attacks with rails slightly better as they are a wee bit stiffer which makes them better for spearfishing.

Twisters

They cost me 175 quid from the UK importer. They aren't worth it, and they don't come close to C4s or Mtechnics. I ended up customising mine by recutting the ends to make them stronger. Then they got stolen. :rcard

The rail

This is a pain. I have no idea where you can get hold of the rubber that is used for fin rails. If someone knows - tell us now! I cut and sanded down a rubber seal from a cargo container. I don't reommend it. When I find out where to get hold of the proper stuff, I'll cut my poor efforts off and put on some better rails.

Extra, extra!

I forgot - I used an old pair of Mares Concord fins too, and they were way too stiff too. :D

Are the regular pair of sporasub's the ones without the replaceable blades, like the Dessaults? I have been looking around but have not been able to determine what the regular pair of sporasubs look like.

Ozzy....

If given the choice between the Variants and the Dessaults, go with the Dessaults. As been said previously, there are reliability issues with the Variants. I personally have never had a problem with mine, but I know several people who have snapped or cracked theirs, all in the same place, near the joint area where the fin merges with the footpocket. If you like the interchangable blade feature of the variants, you can do the same with the Dessaults. It just takes a minute or so to change the blade.

Also, in my opinion, the Dessaults are more efficient than the Variants. Just as a comparison, in a 25m pool, it takes me ~15 kicks with the Variants to cross the pool. With the same kick and my Dessaults, ~13 kicks. This equates to deeper depth with the same energy. To further compare, it only takes me ~11 kicks with my Matrix AND C4's (C4's more like 10.5). I know it is a REALLY generalized test with the posibilities of large variations, but hey, at the very least it gives me a comparison on the capabilities of each fin. Hope this helps....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT