• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fins for Beginner suited for Shore and Natural Spring diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
E

eeyorie

Hi ^_^ I have searched online and found a few old threads on choosing the right fins but I'm just too indecisive and need a little direction to give me peace of mind, lol! I'm a beginner/noob to freediving. I just have always enjoyed swimming, but never was really that good compared to my family/friends. So now I'm super excited because I'm finally (hopefully) going to serious about learning to freedive and spearfish! (=

So I dive mostly in a 40ft spring pond in Alabama near where I live. And then I go to the NC coast and Gulf Shores a few times a year. I obviously wish I could dive in the ocean like 24/7...

These are the fins I've found that I can't decide between:

Beuchat Mundial Elite
Amazon product

Seac Shout S900
Amazon product

Rob Allen Scorpia
Amazon product

Mako Competition Freediver
Amazon product

Cressi Gara 3000 LD
Amazon product

Does anyone have experience with these fins to like compare?
Also, any tips is super appreciated as I'm a baby diver and super new to all this; thanks guys!!
-Ashley <3

I don't have a dive shop close so I can't go try fins out... That's why I made the list of amazon fins Lol.
Can anyone helpp a silly noob beginner? =P

I bought the Omer Stingray fins and im also a beginner. I really like them but buy the grey ones (Winter) they are a bit softer and perfect for beginners i think. I did buy the black ones and they are medium hard but im buying grey blades soon so that i can practise techniques without being so tired because your not used to swimming with fins like that in the beginning. So buy grey ones (soft) first and then buy medium ord hard ones after some time. Or medium first if your really strong.

I am glad to hear that MAKO made the short list. We have a wider selection of fins on our website.. Makospearguns.com.

Since you are looking for feedback from customers, rather than promotional information, I won't say much other than we also sell a kids freedive fin that also fits women with small feet and this fin is very inexpensive, yet is basically identical to one of the brands you listed.

thanks guys for the replies! ^_^
@Jakelol The ommer stingray fins are $180 so a bit out of my price range =(
@Mako I'm deff thinking about the competition fin because I would like (hopefully) to eventually upgrade to the fiberglass/carbon blades. But I've heard mixed reviews on the fins.

So my brother aparently just bought the Seac s900 because he heard they are medium-stiff and you can go like really fast if you're strong or whatever...
Now I have more pressure to decide on what to get because he wants to go diving next week!! Lol!

Annnnd I found another set Amazon product I can't find any reviews anywhere, but they look pretty and seem really good, idk though.

I'm stuck between the Mako Competitions, those ocean hunter ambush fins, and the Rob Allen ones... I'm just too indecisive =(

I would go with the Cressi 3000 LD's. One of the best plastic fins on the market. Unbreakable and soft enough for a beginner. Perfect.

Go for a soft fin, don't let anybody tell you different. Stick with plastic till you have more experiance. The difference is nice, but hardly critical and there is a lot of expensive poor quality stuff out there.

The Beuchat looks like a pair I had, quite stiff. I was not impressed with the pockets.

The Cressi Gara 3000 is an excellent, bullet proof, reasonably soft fin, but it has to fit your feet. Cressi pockets are traditionally on the narrow side. Fit me great, but I have friends with wide feet that dive in cold water (thick booties) that can't wear'em. You will not be wearing thick booties, so the Cressi's are probably all right.

Reactions: Manny_OCF
I bought my Omer Stingrays for like 100 USD on ebay in size 39/40 euro.
I couldn't find any on ebay for around 100 =( Maybe I just have to hunt for a week or two before they will show up for that price...

The Cressi Gara 3000 is an excellent, bullet proof, reasonably soft fin, but it has to fit your feet. Cressi pockets are traditionally on the narrow side. Fit me great, but I have friends with wide feet that dive in cold water (thick booties) that can't wear'em. You will not be wearing thick booties, so the Cressi's are probably all right.
I would go with the Cressi 3000 LD's. One of the best plastic fins on the market. Unbreakable and soft enough for a beginner. Perfect.
Thanks! So now the cressi gara 3000 LD's are on my list again. I decided to take off the Cheap Rob allens.

I am going to try out the Ocean Hunter ones this week. And if they don't work out, I'll have to decide between these 2 I guess:
Amazon product
Amazon product

Thanks guys again for the advice. ^_^

Oh, I also found these:
http://www.neptonicsystems.com/Spearmaster-Freediving-Fins.php
Despite being $50 above what I want to spend on my first fins, they look really good... What are your guy's thoughts on them?

If those Ocean Hunter fins do not work out, the Mako fins are nice because you can upgrade the blades to fiberglass in the future.

If those Ocean Hunter fins do not work out, the Mako fins are nice because you can upgrade the blades to fiberglass in the future.

What about the ones from neptonics for $150? So I would be saving money, but skipping buying plastic ones.

I believe Neoptonics fiberglass are longer than standard and the $150 is only for blades. Neptonics blades and footpockets are $215. Mako sells fiberglass fins too in standard and long length, priced a little less or similar.

Mako service is top notch.

I believe Neoptonics fiberglass are longer than standard and the $150 is only for blades. Neptonics blades and footpockets are $215. Mako sells fiberglass fins too in standard and long length, priced a little less or similar.

Mako service is top notch.

Ohhhhhhh; blades only, gotcha.
Sorry I'm dumb =/

Thanks for the help! I'm really leaning towards mako since the cressi's don't hav ethe removable footpockets or whatever.
I don't know how the Mako Competition's and Cressi Gara 3000 LD's compare with eachother...

Make sure to include the cost of shipping when comparing prices.
Shipping costs and return/exchange policies can make a difference when buying online. Especially for full foot fins since foot shape is so individual and fit is so important.

Shipping costs and return/exchange policies can make a difference when buying online. Especially for full foot fins since foot shape is so individual and fit is so important.
Oh right... Sorry; I'm being dumb again.
Though, are they worth the extra like ~$70 to skip the plastic fins? Like even if I went with Mako, and later on decided to upgrade to better blades or whatever, it would be another $150. Soooo I would be saving money if I got the leaderfins, but I don't know how they will fit. And the Makos get free shipping so I could like get a different size without spending more money really.
Oh my gosh... sorry I'm too indecisive =(

As beginner to beginner: my best discover Russian made rubber fins "Delfin" - perfect to nail legs work, soft and super comfy. (google search "Альфапластик" Ласты "Дельфин", u can buy online).
I totally might get those because they're ~$35 and would be nice if they're better to learn on.
But I still think I need fins for spearfishing...

Reactions: BrittanyP
Dear Eeyorie, you're stuck in the dreaded beginner-gear-quandary.
We've all been there. At some stage you need to make a decision and when you've made it, your learning curve will begin. I doubt there is anyone on this forum who hasn't bought a product which... isn't suited to him, doesn't fit, doesn't fulfil its promises/hopes, is a complete dud, still lurking at the back of the cupboard.
As a beginner you want a moderately soft, plastic fin. It doesn't really matter if it's Cressi, Mako, Mares or Omer. Most companies make decent gear, and hey, if it doesn't do it for you, send it back, sell it on Ebay, sell it to a friend or put it up for sale here on the board.
You'll be fine.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT