• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

florida freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Whew, am I Relieved!

- to know that no one would seriously consider taking a speargun into one of the springs.

Freediving in the springs is not universally welcomed by cave divers, spring operators, and park rangers, so I'm hopeful that all freedivers cherish the privilege for what it is and maintain the utmost in respect for the laws, the safety of fellows divers (whether they're kids or adults), and common sense.

[As Mark Twain reminded us . . .The problem with common sense is that it's not very common.]

Your not going to hold this agaist me are you Jeff, I'm making plans to bring my kayak with me.

I'm planning to leave for home around 5 or 6pm Sunday so that should leave plenty of time to kayak to and dive Cypress, what do you guys think?

Are there number of divers that still back into springs to dive, even though the only access is by water?

BladeRunner OUT

Last edited:
Does anyone know much about Merrit's Mill Pond near Marianna? Specifically "Twin Caves" , mentioned in DeLoach's book. Reads "two openings, 20 feet apart, connect with a room at 30 feet". Sounds neat, and I DO NOT WANT TO ALARM ANYONE!!! I am just curious.

Also curious about Troy Springs near Branford. Anybody got the skinny?

Charlie

Blade

I have no idea about diving activity at Cypress, but I will guess that because a number of developed sites are nearby and Cypress is not much of a cave system, it shouldn't be very popular for diving. This is only a guess.

Charlie

Did you do any diving this weekend Charlie?

oh I found this pics of Cypress do they it justice?

Attachments

• cypresssprings01_19.jpg
    cypresssprings01_19.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 412
Troy

Troy Springs is a great spring dive - one of the best in the area. It is a large bowl with depths to 65 feet, or more when the river level is high. It is best dived when the water table is relatively high and the river level is a bit low - that way the flow is sufficient to prevent much silting, and the dark Suwannee river water does not encroach over the clear spring water at the surface.

A small, very silty cave is accessible at the bottom. I am told by cave divers that it goes back only 100 feet or so.

-You won't alarm me if you decide to enter it . . . but have some courtesy . . . your corpse* might annoy the next cave diver who ventures in.

[Thanks for the spell check Jeff . . . you know, he's such a good guy, he doesn't even charge me for editorial support . . . saves me lots of time!!]

Last edited:
Blade

No diving this weekend:(

From what I remember of Cypress, the photo seems familiar. I think I recall several big branches strewn around the bottom and an irregular bottom topo; very aesthetic.

cjborgert

Thanks for the info. I've heard how a body in a cave can really be a bother sometimes.

Charlie

About the "corps"

I thought maybe Chris was a Navy guy and had issues with the Marines;)

Jeff
Hope we can get together and dive sometime soon, either up in the panhandle or down where you guys are.

Charlie

Charlie do you know what time Vortex and morrison open up on weekends?
Do know if anyone else is planning on diving?
BladeRunner OUT

Les

Vortex opens at 7:00 AM. Don't know about Morrison, I can call on Fri. to find out.

Re: About the "corps"

Originally posted by Aubie
I thought maybe Chris was a Navy guy and had issues with the Marines;) Charlie

Ahhhh, yeah, now that you mention it . . . I guess I like the U.S. Navy just fine, but I hope that neither they nor the Marines start training their divers in the springs . . . could get real crowded down there.

YES

Les

My plans are to be there Sat. around 10:00.

I checked the "gage height" of the Choctawhatchee River at Carryville and it is above 9'. What does this mean? Well, I'm really not sure, but I think Dennis at Morrison told me anything below 4'=good vis, 4-7'=iffy vis, 7-9' =bad vis and possible flooding, above 9'=flooded and closed. I'll check this on Fri., unless anyone else knows for certain.

Are you going?

Charlie

Yes of course I'm coming!!:D

yeah the Morrison thing sounds iffy. I was going leave my kayak behind but I probly should decide to take with with me after all. I don't know it might get better by this weekend though.

I'm probly going to end up stay in a Holdiay Inn down the road from the springs

BladeRunner OUT

Update on Troy Springs

Troy Springs (see previous CJB post) is now a State Park and is accessible by car. It previously was accessible only by boat. I was there this past weekend and viz was outstanding with depths over 70'.

Scott

I'll be moving to Miami in the next couple of moths, and i'm really interested in freediving buddys there!, so, i just want to know people, as many as possible, I dive every week here in Venezuela! my email is giovapnea@hayoo.it, so, please, i'll be waiting for replies, i'm also interested in pool training at night, Thanks and i'll see all of you soon,,,,, well i hope so!!!

I'll be in Key Largo on Sat. Jan. 31 '04. Anyone in the area want to hook up for some freediving? Also suggestions (dive charters ect.) would be great!

Aaron

Hi guys!!!
I live in southeast FL (Dania Bch.) and I'm always looking for new freediving/spearfishing buddies.
I usually have a chance to dive on wed, thu and sundays.
Regards,

rouspearo:p

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT