• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

florida freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Morrison Springs

Scott

I was at Morrison today and wanted to let you know the water was beautiful, even with a lot of divers in the water(20+). I talked to Dennis, the guy at the gate, and he told me the visibility would only be getting better from this point on. Dennis said about 40' today, but I would disagree and say closer to 50-60', even after an early morning thunderstorm.

Are you guys entering the cave here? If so, what depths are you reaching? Just curious ( and probably jealous).

Morrison Springs

Aubie,

I have only been about 10-15' fee inside the cave at Morrison (there is another cavern about 1/2 down on the side too - but very silty inside). I have never really pushed myself there, as it is just such a beautiful, relaxing dive for me - I do it for pure recreation and don't worry about PB's (although I have had good bottom times (for me) there).

The flow at Cypress is fairly intense at the cave entrance (stronger than Morrison, due to the smaller opening). However, pulling against the rocks makes it not too difficult to get inside.

All this talk has got me itching for a trip there.

Scott

Panhandle

Hey Blade,

You still planning on going down 3/1? My sights are set on driving down Sat. AM, arriving around 9:00.

Jeff, Scott, ...

I hope you guys can make it. Would be a big help for me for sure. I've not tried to enter the cave and probably not interested, based on my lack of experience and safety divers. Jeff, I think you are right about the layout; I've gotten to 54' at Morrison, in the "chimney", but that is still an overhead environment and I'm just not yet ready to push on into the cave opening.

The upper cavern has never really appealed to me so I haven't paid much attention to it. Even the scuba folks don't spend much time in there.

The visibility at Vortex two weeks ago was about 10', so all I did was dive to the entrance of the cave and my Mosquito registered 45', but I don't remember much flow.

Charlie

Aubie yes I'm still gunning to dive Vortex on the 1st and Morrison on the 2nd. Are you go try
to dive both days or just Vortex on the Sunday morning. I think I might arrive around 7 or 8 with red and a sore butt.

Well you have more skill than I do freediving, sounds like your going alot deep than me. I kinda had a goal to make to the bottom of the chimney at Vortex and Morrison if possible. I plan on staying in the water most of the day !!

BladeRunner OUT

Last edited:
Blade,

I really don't know how my schedule will work out for that weekend. I'll dive with you as long as I can stand it before getting too cooooold!! I may be able to drive back down on Sun. or possibly just stay overnight. However you want to do the diving, I'm game. It'll be great to have a dive buddy and maybe some of the Florida guys can make it.

I've got a feeling our skill levels are comparable, I'm just getting started too. But I've done all my diving solo, so I hope the elevation in safety and comfort will benefit us both. Any safety procedures you recall from diving in Florida earlier this month should be very helpful.

I'm confident we'll both be diving to the opening of the cave by the end of the weekend. Have you received your computer yet? I think diving with one really helps comfort and confidence. If not you can try mine to see how you like diving with one.

Now, about this red and sore butt:hmm :naughty ---you makin' a stop at the doctor's office on the way down?

Oh yeah!! you gonna be bringing your kayak. I don't own one but I may be able to borrow one. Let me know.

Charlie

LOL I meant to put red eyes and sore butt!!! I basically leaving straight from work at 12 that night and drive straight through. So I will be arriving with no sleep so I will be pretty tired!!

I can bring my kayak I guess but where are we going to paddle though. Are there places to paddle at Vortex or Morrison?

I ordered my computer but they told me it be a two week wait for a backorder, so I won't get it
in time for the dive. I probly won't get it untill the 5th so that really sucks I wanted to really play around with it during spring dives !!!

I'm going to have to use my timer on my watch, if the water is like 68 degrees it won't be a problem diving with no gloves. It's a real pain to push the buttons on my watch with 5mm gloves diving here.

BladeRunner OUT:cool:

Blade

I couldn't help myself on the red, sore butt thing!!

I haven't been wearing gloves and I'm a wuss, so you'll be fine without.

Kayaks will be helpful if we want do dive Cypress Sprinngs. It once was a commercial dive site but has since been sold to a bottling company and closed. Scott mentioned in an earlier post boat access is still possible, and this is a really beautifil spring. Time may really be a limiting factor, though.

Scott:
Do you know the closest site to launch, and is it a long kayak ride?

Blade

If you will be driving all night you may want to rest up for a few hours once you arrive, I can come down a little later and we can dive Sat. afternoon and Sun. morning. Just let me know what you think.

Charlie

Thanks Blade. That is a great site!! If we have time to try Cypress, I think you'll love it.

Are any of you Florida guys gonna be able to make it 3/1?

Charlie

I don't know if they will make it or not. I haven't seen them on the forum in some time now!!

you wouldn't happen to have an underwater camera by chance would you?

BladeRunner OUT

Last edited:
I'm here!

I will not be able to make it until after 4/15 (it's now tax time). I am a little busier than usual, and thus my freediving may be limited to just short day trips.

I did not open the link to Cypress Springs, but let me know if it does not appear to be sufficient.

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Scott

Well, you don't have much goin' on for the next 2 months:hmm
Wish you could make it.

Blade

I've got a camera and I'll bring it down. It's not top notch, tends to pick up a lot of backscatter, but it's better than nothing.

Charlie

Hey Charlie how do you like diving in the rain? I was looking at the weather and it looks like rain all that weekend but that can change I'm sure.

I'm not sure if I will bring my kayak down or not. If I go to Cypress it can really push my time limit. I can always bring it with me another weekend. I will bring it with me if I come down on the 15&16th. I was shooting for diving the jetties at St. Andrews but it looks like they have no camp sites available and all the hotel room are like 100 bucks more a night, no way! I could do a morrison and cypress or Vortex and cypress either one.

IF I went to St. Andrews Jetties that weekend would you be game to join me Charlie?

I'm not sure if I will decide to rest up when I get there or not, I will probly be to charged to dive. So you can come down whenever you want I guess.
Just don't expect world class diving skill, I think I disappointed Scott with my diving ablities!

what kind of gear do you have? I can bring another low volume mask and my BT fins, I switched over to something with a softer blade. I'm not sure if you could fit in the Black Teams there size 40-42(7-8). I can wear a 3mm sock have them fit tight on my feet

BladeRunner OUT

Last edited:
Jeff

Hope the schedules work out, but if not it sounds like Blade is as geared up about the springs and jetties as I am, so this definitely won't be the last trip. I've also gotten the OK from my wife to do a trip down to central FLA to check out some of your local spots! Just let me know.

Blade

I don't mind diving in the rain, can't get any wetter than wet. The only concern would be thunderstorms, and possibly mucky springs. But Cypress has been altered in a way that it really stays clear anyway.

Two things about the jetties: tide and cold water. The safest and best diving usually starts about 2-3 hours before high tide; but having said that, I've been there 3-4 hours after high tide and enjoyed some great diving. The place can be hard to figure out sometimes. If surface temp is above 65, I can probably handle that for short periods with some SI warm up time. After I post this I'll check the tides.

By "no camp sites available" do you mean they are all rented?

I don't need any gear, but I'll try your Picassos for fit and stiffness. My legs may not be able to handle them.

I can get down there any time after 9:00 am Saturday, you tell me if you want to rest first. Stopped by and talked to the guy at Vortex(snuck it in) and he said probably no need to reserve a spot, but if you call they can answer any questions you have.(850.836.4979)

Borrowed kayak looking iffy for me, but I'm still trying.

Don't be concerned about "diving skill", we'll both be better divers by the end of the weekend. :D

Charlie

Last edited:
Charlie 9:00 or 10:00 would be fine, I will end up only taking a cat nap so I will be just fine.
I'm not going to bring my kayak this time down.

Be prepared because I'm going take advantage of every second of both days. I have alot I want work on with my diving but still want to have a great time. I think with great viz of the springs will allow me to relax more and allow me to pay more attention to my kick and the start
of my dive. I've been trying to work on smoothing out my kick style and to work on making the start of my dive quick and smooth!

I'm hoping for better weather or atleast alittle bit of sun. I can't wait I'm getting so pumped for some good diving!! :D

BladeRunner ( aka: Les Laxson)

Everything sounds great! I'll say I'll be there by 10:00 for sure, probably earlier.

I've never really worked on any technique, so watching you do so will probably help me. My guess is you'll be working on stealth, and I can certainly improve in that area.

Now, about the kayak. No sweat, but........
I've been able to nail one down to borrow, and my guess is Cypress will be the most clear water by far(esp. if rain). So if you don't want to bother, no problem, just wanted to give you that info.

You asked earlier if I needed any gear. Actually, if you have a 3mm hooded vest, it would probably help me stay warmer longer. I've got a 5mm hood, but still a lot of water exchange down my back. Just thought I'd ask.

I'm looking forward to the weekend Les.

Aubie ( aka Charlie Wheat)

No sorry Charlie, all I have is my own suit. I should have explained the gear part more, I was refering to a low volume mask and long freedive fins, I could bring for you.:(

sorry about the kayak thing but if your really gunning to do Cypress then I can bring my kayak then, if we do that I might accidently drop my speargun into my kayak, and I might run across it, if there's no one else at the springs when we are there :D

I was just looking for deep places to dive but I've seen pics of Cypress and it looks pretty nice, it's only like 25 feet right ?

Bladerunner OUT

Les

Thought I'd take a shot.

Whichever way you'd rather go on your kayak will be fine. I think I'll borrow the one from a friend and try it out at Vortex, and if I have some time on Sunday I'll put in and head to Cypress. You are exactly right, it is a shallower spring, but does have a cavern with more depth, I just don't know the topo, may take a look. If you have time and an inclination, your suggestions sound fine to me, although I don't know local regulations.

Charlie

Blade

I've got the borrowed kayak and with a chance to work with it on Sat. I'll likely try the run to Cypress sometime Sun., whatever schedules will allow.

Jeff

I think I understand your reaction, especially if your kids are with you. But if you had planned on making the trip I hope this isn't the reason you don't and I hope this doesn't preclude diving with you in the future.

Charlie

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT