• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive-a-palooza 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be attending the FREEDIVE-A-PALOOZA 2012?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the "Party Pooper" comment made me laugh!

I've talked to a dude that was freediving there last week off the Cliffs and he never got sick. He had heard most of the virus was in the beach area. I'm not concerned and looking forward to the event.

Jon- are you coming to the Palooza? If not, can we borrow your rig? I can drive down and pick it up.

I'll be there....it'll be well worth the drive to hear Piotr talk.....about anything.

See you guys Sat morning.

I just got an email from FII- apparently I'm still the only one signed up for the Sept class, and unless 3 more sign up by Aug. 10 they'll probaby cancel it. So hopefully anyone who planned to do it will sign up very soon. I'm debating trying to make the class this weekend instead- but we are supposed to visit my wife's family in Birmingham (for the 1st time since Xmas)- and modifying those plans would come at some cost (financial and otherwise) plus my new fins will not arrive until next week. I do need this class though...Ah, decisions...

I think I will try to change my plans and come to the clinic at free-dive-a-palooza this weekend- ill contact the lady at FII tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
I know I've heard a couple other people "TALK" about the class in SEPT. But, that is a "couple" of people. For this class we had 4 sign up right away and about 12 others say they were interested. I would like to see another class happen in Sept, but I'm not banking on it.

Well after making all necessary arrangements, including rush- shipping a belt, the FII lady said that the two people who she had not heard back from about this weekend confirmed their availability and no slots remain in the clinic this weekend. I guess I'll just hope that 3 other people sign up for Sept very soon- this is frustrating.

I would still come if you can. There is always a possibility someone might not show up. Regardless, it will be a good time and you will meet some good divers and interesting people.

I know the "PALOOZA" doesn't start until "Friday", but for everyone's 43 (Info) - I will be up there on Thursday evening, probably around 6pm-ish. We have sites 9 & 11 for Thursday - Monday (In case someone decides to sleep over on Sunday night)

See you all THERE!!!!!

Word!

I would love to come up this weekend, but can really only make the 5.5hr trip once this summer- and remain hopeful that I'll be able to take the class in Sept. as everyone has already paid their $300 for the class this weekend I'm doubting anyone backs out at this point.

Thanks- have a great weekend- I hope all goes well at free-dive-a-palooza.

Real quick........... The Palooza was a BLAST!!!! Great weather, Great People, Great Food, Great Drinks, Great Entertainment!!!! If you missed it............ You Missed A LOT!!!!

Had about 22-23 divers show up over the course of the 3 days. Will post pics soon.

Good to hear you guys had a blast! Wish I could have made it, but I also had a blast at one of my best friends weddings, so I can't complain. Good to know we have more people getting certified and it seems like our group is growing!

I got there Thursday Evening to find that 5 other people were ALREADY there! The Palooza didn't offically start until Friday... But we had some Die-hards......... and the F.I.I. Instructor Mark Wallerstein.

I set up camp right away as it looked like it could rain....... it did, but not much.

Friday, People began to trickle in throughout the day and we eventually Jumped into Wazee at our most common spot: THE WALL aka "The Cliffs". This spot is close to camp and pretty much has everything: Fish Cribs, Platforms (25, 45 & 60'), Trees, Cliffs that go steep and a short swim off shore and you have 100 ft depth.

As with every year, I have LOTS of people tell me they are coming and don't. Mostly because something came up and they were not able to. IF everyone who said they were coming actually came, we'd probably be at 50+. BUT we had an awesome Turnout for the weekend. In all we had 23 Divers show up. There were some Younger people there that enjoyed the water as well as people's "Better Half".

Saturday we had the F.I.I. Level 1 Freediving class starting and some of us 'other divers' decided to go get some Depth. We went to the line that says "WARNING DEEP WATER". Well, Piotr (Nostress) found out for us that it is only 108 ft deep and really clear at the bottom. Several of us, started taking turns, working out some of the rusting techniques we had learned in classes ourselves. We worked on "Pull downs" until our reflexes kicked in, then gradually worked on depth........ All using safeties. I was able to get down to 83ft that day (clearing issues), but even at 83, I could see the bottom very well!

This year Wazee was the clearest I have seen it! With a Surface temp at 76 - I was comfortable in my 3mil all weekend.

Sunday, after some very interesting nights we finally got up and moving and back in the water for some more depth diving......... after all, when can you go Line-diving and have safeties there for you? This day I reached 94 ft. I was relaxed and when I was experiencing some intense pressure, I decided to turn around. When I turn, I saw that I was not far from the Bottom. I thought about making my way back towards the bottom. I didn't as I didn't want to put myself in danger of blacking out. The Dive at 94 feet was comfortable, I think it's just the pressure at that depth that I'm not use to. I need to get back into doing more line dives.

Our "AFTER PARTIES" as I like to call them were........... AWESOME!!! :friday
We had a Great Meal Every night! Lots of Drinks and shared lots of stories. We also made some good memories........... Like "remember that time, when Reason put a Beer can in the fire and it blew up?" I will never forget that! it was Great!

All in all, I would say this has probably been the most Memorable Palooza "I've" been too and I can't wait until next year!!!

I have a TON more pics on my Facebook page. Just find me. if you have Facebook, here is a link to my PHOTOS: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150991182403581.425936.689513580&type=3

Attachments

• DSCN6896.jpg
    DSCN6896.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN6901.jpg
    DSCN6901.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 258
  • vlcsnap-2012-07-29-22h29m30s31.jpg
    vlcsnap-2012-07-29-22h29m30s31.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 261
  • vlcsnap-2012-07-30-18h48m42s115.jpg
    vlcsnap-2012-07-30-18h48m42s115.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 277
  • vlcsnap-2012-07-30-18h20m16s194.jpg
    vlcsnap-2012-07-30-18h20m16s194.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Hot off the Press! Enjoy! The words are tricky to remember to this song..... So, Good Luck! :)

Don't miss out Next years Palooza! I believe it will be the 10 year Anniversary!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Scott liked the youtube video. I'm glad you got me on a dive as it really allowed me to look at my technique which will be helpful!!!!

Yeah, sweet video of the palooza! Were you using a flat lens at all or was that the regular curved lens? Wish I could have made it earlier!

Here's a video I think you all might like :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU_IF20t2R8&feature=fvst]Defending the Vandenberg - YouTube[/ame]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT