• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive-aplooza

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Fred went up last night and Ted and I are headed up today. It sounds like its going to be corwded up there so we'll see how many campsites we can reserve.

The weather looks great and it sounds like we'll have lots of divers there as well. We've also got lots of gear to try and perfect water conditions to do it in. I'll make sure to get a full write-up posted next week, when I get back and have at least a night's sleep in me.;)

Jon

Reactions: w3ac
Have a great time. It's only an hour and a half away from my house and i can't even make it!! Hopefully you get a good turnout and it becomes yearly so that i can drive down there next year. Be safe.

I just got back and it was a BLAST!:D

I'll do a full write-up later on, with lots of photos and expect at least one video from Ted- with lots of scooter footage!:cool:

Skarz, Fred and I met a guy this afternoon who is VERY interested in getting into freediving. He lives in your area and will try and email you off this site.

Jon

Here's a shot of a few of the divers who made it.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Adrian
Great picture Jon !!!

I cannot wait for the Video!

Love, peace and water!

Kars.

Sven,

I had my 16 month old pack up your Hyrbirds this morning. Now all I need is a return address so that I can get them back to you.;)

Thanks for proving, once again, why you are the Sultan.

Jon

Last edited:
Sven, I found your address off the back of a milk carton and sent them out this afternoon. You should get them in a couple of days.

Pezman, I sent the Classic's out as well and you should see them by the end of the week. Make sure to email Jyri when you get them so that he knows where they are. I already let him know that I sent them to you.

Connor, I dropped your fins off with Ted since he is the one with the box- I ran out after shipping everything else out.

Everyone can expect a story, with photos, shortly on the main page.

Here's another quick shot from last weekend.

Jon

Last edited:
Hi Gang,

Hope it's alright to print these out--'cause I missed it, and I can't resist it!
Water Rat, biting her tail

Looks like it was a great time! Wish I could've made it!

Looking forward to the story and some more pics!

Cheers,
Aaron

Looks like you guys had a fantastic time based on that video. That's just the motivation I needed to get one of those scooters:)

Thanks for posting it Ted.

Ash

Here's a shot of Ted on one.

We found the $500 scooter to be worthwhile, but the cheaper ones were almost worthless. All of them are a LOT weaker than normal scuba diving scooters, but at $500 you could buy 4 of them for the price of my Dacor Seasprint.

I shot lots of nice video and dropped it off with Ted last night. Now we just have to wait and see what Spike Lee jr. can put together for us.;)

Jon

Last edited:
Speaking of video.....

On Saturday night we put together a drive-in theater in the middle of the campground. All it took was a lap top, my buddy, Gert's, projector, and one high thread count bed sheet.:cool:

Of course we had to play "The Big Blue" to satisfy all of those freedivers in the crowd. We also has a bunch of scuba divers up there who suddenly got interested in the sport after watching the movie.

Jon

Last edited:
Hey guys, the video looked great. Thanks to my brother for supplying the dpv's. Everyone here, non-divers and fdivers alike are really getting a kick outta it (the video).
the Apalooza was a fun! anyone not there missed out. weather was fantastic too.
I should get some 3D photos back in a few days, hope they turn out.
Fred

Last edited:
Jon

What were the makes of scooter you guys tried?

I've been looking for an Apollo (which is the same as the Dacor I believe) for a while now but haven't found one at the right price yet. The cheaper makes just don't seem durable enough to me.

Speaking of scooters, a friend of mine runs a dive shop and this is a picture of his new employees:D I reckon I'll have to make a plan to borrow one of those for a day but I wouldn't like to be the one who has to carry it up the beach after a shore dive.

Ash

Attachments

• gavins.jpg
    gavins.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 267
the scooters were both sea-doo's. one yellow good to 65ft and a grey one with 2 throttles good to 100'. I think the new grey one was rated at 3.3mph. there was a BIG difference in the performance of the two. a person would definitly want the new 2 speed machine.

Those are some nice scooters Ash!

My father-in-law has one fo the Gavin short bodies that he uses for wreck diving. He has his video camera, and twin 50 watt HID lights, mounted to it. I was talking to Mark, from OMER, last week and he got to try one out for the first time last month. They are very addictive.

I use the Seasprint and it is much faster than the Seadoo's, but at 4 times the price.:(

The yellow Seadoo isn't worth much, but the grey one was a lot of fun. I could see why dive shops would want to put them in rental for snorkelers- but not really for scuba divers.

Ted, another great job on the video- as usual! I'll be looking forward to the one your posting tomorrow.

Here's a shot of Lake Wazee Saturday night.

Jon

Last edited:
Ted,

Great video, as usual. Was that shot using the 5050?

The grey seadoo looks pretty cool. JerseyJim's Apollo is awesome, but the lower-power scooters look like they give a more "fluid" ride.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT