• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive Dahab - photos and stuff

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
Freediving in Dahab - so what's it really like?

Here are some pictures that will tell you straight off - i dont have time right now to do an extensive trip report but I will tell you that diving with Lotta Ericson and Linda Paganelli is loads of fun - they are so professional, great sense of humour, they are talented and they really made our stay worth while.

The Yasmina hotel is half decent - the waiter service is terrible (they get it wrong everytime but it's all part of its charm) and the food isn't that great (except for the pancakes :p) but its a good deal and you have everything you need. Even the room service gets creative - i had a different bed decoration every day rofl

Dahab is a dump - but at the same time has loads of charm and it looks better by night :D with all the colours of the arabic style cushions and chill out lounges enhanced by the lighting and the wafts of shisha smoke...

The ride to the Blue Hole is a bumpy one and I dont think the Egyptian government will ever fix those roads... make sure you dont need to pee (or anything else for that matter) as toilets are few and far between and the the roads will play hell on your internal organs.

Going back again in May, unfortunately i have no u/w photos of own, as my new camera flooded on the first day :vangry :martial :ko

Attachments

• aerial.JPG
    aerial.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 259
  • bed.JPG
    bed.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 282
  • blueholecamel.JPG
    blueholecamel.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 323
  • gettingonsuit.JPG
    gettingonsuit.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 419
  • trio.JPG
    trio.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 456
and more....

Attachments

• mum.JPG
    mum.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 330
  • thebluehotelstuff.JPG
    thebluehotelstuff.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 274
  • withlinda2.JPG
    withlinda2.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 450
  • withlinda.JPG
    withlinda.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 291
  • yasmina hotel.JPG
    yasmina hotel.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 284
underwater....

Attachments

• linda.JPG
    linda.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 266
  • odd.JPG
    odd.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 264
  • surface.JPG
    surface.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 266
  • headless.JPG
    headless.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 254
  • playingabout.JPG
    playingabout.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 321
and more..

Attachments

• owmyear.JPG
    owmyear.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 242
  • ear.JPG
    ear.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 238
  • trond.JPG
    trond.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 258
  • wheredhego.JPG
    wheredhego.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 216
  • reef.JPG
    reef.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 279
Awesome pics sara.

Nice bikini pose too ;)

Is that your mum with you in the pic?

Looks like you had a great time, Sara. Thanks for sharing the photos.

island_sands said:
-The Yasmina hotel is half decent

-Dahab is a dump.

-The ride to the Blue Hole is a bumpy one and I dont think the Egyptian government will ever fix those roads...

-Make sure you dont need to pee (or anything else for that matter) as toilets are few and far between
I now must react and defend my number one vacation destination.
If you get a half decent hotel its because you pay less then half decent money for it.

Dahab is dump because tourist leave trash behind or they pay too little money for the garbagesystem to work. The trash is there because we are there.

The Egyptian authorities has already paved half the distance to the Blue hole. Unfortunately they will, I believe, pave the rest some sweet day. And then Blue hole will be more crowded.

As for toilets there are quite a lot of them considering that you are actually on an expedition into the countryside to a uniqe place in nature.

See you in Dahab Sara ;-)

Sebastian

PS. Photo of my Divebuddy Annelie at 30 meters depth in the Blue hole

Attachments

• Annelieat30.jpg
    Annelieat30.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
cebaztian said:
I now must react and defend my number one vacation destination.
If you get a half decent hotel its because you pay less then half decent money for it.

Sebastian

PS. Photo of my Divebuddy Annelie at 30 meters depth in the Blue hole

Seb
"half decent" in English actually means something that is quite acceptable :)

I agree with you on the tourists leaving trash behind or they pay too little money for the garbage system to work but also in the bedouin camps where they take tourists on safari they dont clean up. We have the same problem in Dubai.

I believe you were there in the hotel for a couple of days - i didn't see you.

There are toilets at the blue hole for 2 pounds but i took the advice from the girls and didn't use them :yack

I am not slagging off Dahab, it was great and i return on 30th of April for more punishment.

Cheers
Sara

Reactions: cebaztian
Spaniard said:
Nice belly-piercing Sands............Does it not catch on wetsuit????
rofl rofl

Chr-st did you zoom in on that or what?? rofl rofl

no it doesnt... :D not on the wetsuit, anyway ;)

Reactions: Spaniard
Sparkly things always catch my eye, I must have some girly hormones in me rofl rofl
Yes piercings can sometimes get caught up in other piercings

rofl rofl

Woah, Dahab looks cool. Are all the dive pics made in the blue hole? What was the water temperature?

Mr_Miyagi said:
Woah, Dahab looks cool. Are all the dive pics made in the blue hole? What was the water temperature?

The water temp was about 22degC... it was very cool. i loved the blue hole, fantastic for freediving. Saw some very scary scuba divers with no buoyancy and spare tanks heading down for the swim through at 55m.... was amazed to see them come up again!

all the dive pics were made in the hole..

looks great sara thanks for the posts and pics 22 c sounds nice I was in 8 c last weekend

Last edited:
Hey Sara, I'm GREEN with envy! The blue hole is one of my favorite spots. I remember it back when you could just be there for the whole day and not meet a soul. The Sinai has changed so much in the last 20 years, I'm so much at mixed feelings whenever i go there now - I try to take consolation in the fact that it provides so much of a livelihood for so many people, and so many can go there and see these wonders of mother nature - she's so generous with her guests, even if they do tend to leave a mess behind them.
Stay wet & enjoy,
:) Ofer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT