• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive Dahab - photos and stuff

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey there Sara .. you had a great time .. good .. I wish I was with you .. unfortunately I was too busy all the time that I couldn't meet you or Ali for the freediving clinics .. :(
but I have to cut of my time to do it, hope you will be free by that time to have a chat about it .. good luck on your next trip . :)
Ciao !

Great story, Sebastian!

Sara or anyone else, please post more pics from diving in Dahab. And how is the diving there compared to other places like Sharm, Nuweiba, Hurgada or Ras Mohamed?

hi sander,

if you want to see some awsome pics go on the gallery of:
www.tripledepth.com
all pics were made at the blue hole during our competition.

diving in neweiba is quite bad, shallow water, bad vis, no reef. about hurgada i have no idea. as for sharm, you can find deep water but access the sea is not so easy, as beaches are private property of the big hotels. ras mohamed is great, but you don't have access from the shore everywhere. there's big fishes around, but also strong current. it's definitely not a good place to do freediving training, but for recreational freediving is very cool.
i still prefer dahab, though!

Really beautiful pics Sara :) Thank you for sharing! It looks quite gorgeous..!

Nice article Sebastian - it's nice to read something that has substance to it as compared to the circus of events that seem to pervade freediving these days...

Cliff Etzel said:
Nice article Sebastian - it's nice to read something that has substance to it as compared to the circus of events that seem to pervade freediving these days...

eewwww! was that directed at me?
rofl

Last edited:
Of course not Sara.. ;)

I'm speaking of other things that seem to be in the news of late..

Cheers..

Reactions: island_sands
Glad you had fun Sara! how did the training go?(PM or mail me if its a secret!)

samdive said:
Glad you had fun Sara! how did the training go?(PM or mail me if its a secret!)

hi Sam! - the statics went well but unfortunately my ears packed up and i couldnt equalise :( :martial
Going back on Sunday to give it another go....

Hi everybody,

I am in Dahab at the moment. I will training with Lotta tomorrow.

I plan to give a account of my experiences later. Stay tuned !

Holger

Go for it Holger! Looking forward to hearing your adventures.

Cheers,
Ben

Apnea_Addict said:
Hi everybody,

I am in Dahab at the moment. I will training with Lotta tomorrow.

I plan to give a account of my experiences later. Stay tuned !

Holger

Sweet, cant wait to get there (in about two weeks)! May do the safari week (not sure right now) but for certain the training week that will follow. Did you meet Flo and Emese? Two nice gals that turned from white to red skin by now - i bet! rofl

I am not sure, if you all really want to read it > I just write what really happens here.

To put things in perspective: I am here in Egypt for the very first time and haven' t travelled outside of Europe and the USA so far.

In Order to write more relaxed. I start with yesterday today and tomorrow I'll wirte about today.

It took me a lot longer to get here, then expected. My plane was delayed for over three hours in Hamburg already since the one they wanted to use broke down the day before (this was Condor).

The trip went that way, that we had to go Hurghada first, and the fly back to Sharm el Sheik. In Hurghada most of the people got off. I'm always curious so I was looking at the tourists that left there and I could guess what it would be like in the hotels. For sure the hotel area looked crowded with hotel and condo setups from up in the air.

There was another delay in Hurghada since Condor wanted to take now people back to Hamburg and they had to make sure, that everybody was on the right plane, but it took a while to get the numbers straightend out.

Then arrival in Sharm el Sheik. I was a little confused what to do after entering the airport building it didn't take long to get yelled at for the first time. But luckily this was a guided trip so there was somebody from the Orca traval company to get things sorted out.

The next surprise > luggage carts are not free but a Bakschisch is collected for that. In my astonishment I paid way to much.

I was waiting for the luggage to arrive. On of my bags > the one with ALL the clothes in it didn't come. Great. I wasn't too worried. Everything is well insured and I was certain to able to buy clothes. But still > nice thing if you don't even got swimming trunks and want to gut diving the next day early in the morning.

Lucky again my transfer was still there since I still needed to go to Dahab. An hour ride but about 100 kilometres I guess.

So far so gut. The driver was speaking Englisch and his only job was to get me to Dahab ( in a minibus ).

The road to Dahab is very well paved. But that also means speeding (max Speed about 140 km per hour). Speed limits seem not to mean anything. The driver flashes his lights at every upcoming car > no idea what that is for.

By this time it is getting dark > earlier than at home. But we are still on the road. The driver stops some place. He wants to get some water. This is courtesy of the hotel since they know I have been "on the road" for a long time.

The place where he buys it is nothing more than a shed with a refrigerator. Some place I would have never entered on my own I think.

One can' t help to notice that the road is blocked every once in a while. There are some people (soldiers) patrolling and checking the cars.

At one block the driver gets into a longer discussion with the guys there. Well, he says "is it okay, if we take the policeman to dahab ?". I say "yes" since those guys got Kalaschnikow carabiners and I just want to get there and not get into any trouble. So now a whole bunch of them gets in the bus. Some have not showered in while I guess (I am just writing what I thought at the moment, I didn't say anything of course). So now we got a whole car full of guys with guns, which are not wearing uniforms or anything. And it is night, very dark, no other towns just somewhere in Egypt. Well I was still confident, that everything is okay and it probably was. But the "police" didn't mind the speeding of the bus either.

After they got out the driver apologized > obviously he wasn't all to happy with that either.

Finally in dahab at the inmodivers divers home but more of that tomorrow.

Holger

I just wrote for half an hour what happened yesterday and then the computer "ate" the whole text .... Fu....

sorry, more tomorrow > Yes, I have met Aniko

Holger

Good to hear you arrived safely. Waiting to hear about the diving. Dahab is said to be the freediving Mecca of europeans. I bet the Blue Hole provides some great diving. I'm definetly going there in the near future.

sweet! good account of what is to come for my trip in two weeks time, i will have to travel overland from Cairo to Dahab - gotta have bakshish with me plenty! :)

serge

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT