• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedivers & Faces

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
Well, there are plenty of photos of freedivers in diverse threads of this forum, in user profiles, and on other websites like ApneaMania.com or FreediveCentral.com. However, now, when the member base of APNEA.cz grew to almost 400 freedivers (*) in just few months, and part of the users uploaded their photo, there is already a nice gallery of faces - some of them quite famous (like for example Bill Stromberg, or Bill Graham), others unknown, but there is also couple of well known DB residents with a photo (like for example Azapa, Jorg, but also several others), so it may interest you seeing them side by side

(*) in fact there would be 1000 of them, but 600 failed the entry test

To get to the "trombinoscope" (as the French call it), you can either use this URL: member photos @ APNEA.cz or navigate to the User Map and select the search mode to "photos" & "with photo". The member photos are grouped by countries. The list is searchable by user name (i.e. http://apnea.cz/usermap.html?faces&search=bill), country (for example http://apnea.cz/usermap.html?faces&search=france), or gender (i.e. http://apnea.cz/usermap.html?faces&search=girls).

I also added a new feature on the home page, where you can now see two user photos at the top. One is the latest uploaded photo, and the other one is User of the Day - a photo of a randomly selected member. The first one is being changed anytime someone uploads a new photo, the other one automatically changes each midnight (UTC).

If you want to have a chance for the moment of fame of being an APNEA.cz User of the Day, please access your Profile at APNEA.cz (if you have one) and upload your photo. In the same time you can also review and complete or adjust other settings - I am frequently adding new features and functions, and hence also new settings in the Profile.
photo.jpg

Last edited:
Bloody hell Trux, how hard is it to register on your site? I failed 3 times in a row with answers that I am pretty sure were right. In fact one question popped up which I answered correctly, but failed the overall test, then the same question appeared in the next test and the correct answer wasn't even there.

I think you need to change it so that there is only one correct answer per question, if necessary then you can increase the amount of questions to help keep the authenticity of it all.

Cheers,
Ben

I've given up trying to register! I've tried numerous times and either my browser is causing me to fail to register or i'm just plain not getting the questions right.

Trux - you've got a great resource there but give us a break and loosen the entry criteria!

Speaking of faces, there's quite a bit of freedivers in facebook already...If you're into that kind of thing.

Facebook is overloaded with silly applications. It is getting frustrating.

No Australian free divers on Apnea.cz?

Oh well I'll be the first. Not that I can really call myself a free diver but lets not split hairs rofl

Bloody hell Trux, how hard is it to register on your site? I failed 3 times in a row with answers that I am pretty sure were right.
Same here. I managed to register after about 15 attempts!

I would have been the first but I can't get into the bloody thing.... keeps telling me i'm too stupid :D

Bloody hell Trux, how hard is it to register on your site? I failed 3 times in a row with answers that I am pretty sure were right. In fact one question popped up which I answered correctly, but failed the overall test, then the same question appeared in the next test and the correct answer wasn't even there.

I think you need to change it so that there is only one correct answer per question, if necessary then you can increase the amount of questions to help keep the authenticity of it all.

Yes, you may be right, having only one correct answer (and always at least one correct answer) per question may avoid some failed attempts. I will look at it, but in the current state it is not really possible, so I will need to recode the program for this part. On the other hand, the 400 registered members show clearly that the test in not that hard, so it is certainly possibly passing it if you read carefully the header note and realize that there may be more correct answers, or no correct one at all, and if you already carefully read the answers.

I've given up trying to register! I've tried numerous times and either my browser is causing me to fail to register or i'm just plain not getting the questions right.

Trux - you've got a great resource there but give us a break and loosen the entry criteria!

Sorry for that, Stephan. In the past there were indeed occasianly issues with some browsers, but I do not believe there is any bug in the quiz lately.

If any of you continues having troubles with the test or the registration, do not hesitate to contact me. In cases of people I am sure are experienced and responsible freedivers, I can let you skip the test. I believe I already offered it to you, Stephan, but did not hear back from you.

The rather strict test is there to filter out innexperienced people, who do not know the risks of freediving and could harm themselves in using some of the exercises or tips available on the website. Though, if you are a freediving competitor like Ben, or a person well known in the community like Papa Smurf, and gave up after several refused entries, do not hesitate contacting me - I understand that you may not have the patience with repeating the test several days in a row.

Cool, thanks Ivo. I'll have another go tomorrow and if that fails i'll be in touch.

Cheers,
Ben

Facebook is overloaded with silly applications. It is getting frustrating.
Yes, that's exactly the problems with many such websites, or with communities open to public without any verification or any restrictions. And I believe that one of the advantages of the strict test (besides the safety that is necessary for the Apnea Training Manager), is that you can be pretty sure that other members are indeed freedivers, and rather experienced ones. You won't find automated spam bots there, chasing perverts, or people who know absolutely nothing about freediving and subscribed just because they were bored.

It has also advantage for the freedivers who offer hosting (there are 45 registered hosts now around the world - hosting freedivers @ APNEA.cz) - having only well tested members, you have certain guarantee that your hospitality does not get abused by someone just finding you by accident on the web. Same goes for those members willing to take use of the hosting - there is a warranty your potential host is indeed a freediver and not just some clown posing for one.

No Australian free divers on Apnea.cz?

Oh well I'll be the first. Not that I can really call myself a free diver but lets not split hairs rofl
Oh, there are already plenty of them, just none with a photo. If you change the User List selection from "with photos" to "registered" you will get 11 freedivers. If you turn it to "all" (it shows even those who failed the registration), then there are 31 of them in Australia.

Last edited:
If you turn it to "all" (it shows even those who failed the registration), then there are 31 of them in Australia.
Should be 32, it's listing me as British, i'm guessing because of the IP address.

This could be war....

By the way Trux, how did the registration guess my birthday correctly?

Just curious...(I registered to day and it was suggesting my correct birthday right away).

Facebook etc can indeed be frustrating, but you don't actually have to accept every silly invitation. I do have a bit of a philosophical disagreement with them asking for your email account login and password! To me that is just phishing, but what do I know (I'm sure many people might use the exact same password for things like paypal so I find it very suspicious to ask for that info even if the intention was good)

Last edited:
Well, Jome, you have probably forgotten it (since you did your first attempt a while ago), but you have to enter your birth date together with the login and password in the very first form before entering the test - that serves for the age verification.

But then, when you complete the registration, the system tries to find you at the Freedive Central, Deeper Blue, and Apnea Mania, and if it finds any matching profiles there, it completes the missing data from those servers. That's usually not the case though for the birth date, since it is a mandatory field and normally is already in the database at the very beginning. :)

Last edited:
Should be 32, it's listing me as British, i'm guessing because of the IP address.

This could be war....
roflanother good reason for completing your registration and putting it stright!

f*** I keep getting 35/36.... maybe I better hand back my AIDA IT card...

f*** I keep getting 35/36.... maybe I better hand back my AIDA IT card...
:) As I wrote - if I have no doubts about the person trying to register, and that's your case certainly too, I have no problems with letting you through without the test. Just contact me by PM if you want me that I let you through. But then again, you may prefer beating the beast yourself.

JFYI, on the statistics page, there is a list of the most frequently failed questions and answers: APNEA.cz - Site Statistics
I guess I may need to change some of the Taravana answers - for example people often do not know that Taravana means "to fall crazily" (in plus it is a little bit stupid definition, but it comes from an encyclopedia). Also people often fail to answer correctly that DCS at freedivers is known among native divers since centuries (that's what Taravana in fact is). Another weak point of many freedivers is the hyperventilation - many do not know that even brief deep breathing may be hyperventilation, or that hyperventilation in fact causes the constriction of carotids and therefore the hypoxemia of the brain.

man its hard work ive been tryin to get on for about two months and i always get 35/36 then get told to do one for 24hours :head:head:head:head

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT