• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedivers: Narcisistic Selfish Insidelooking angry people?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PoseidonSv

Aquaholic
Jan 2, 2004
It seems there is 2 different kind of freedivers the elite people that are friendly for stonsors and media but assholes to other freedivers, and there is the ones who really loves water and diving and do not out the fins on the shelf just because they can not be the best teachers in freediving anymore or not the top of the game.

To some i guess the image of the sport as a thing for hard fucused people to dare the dangers of the deep attracts those who seek some kind of recognition for starting agency or becoming the best of in other way write about themselves and promote themselves as some super heroes.

SO the question is, who do you do it for?

Not many freedivers really do it for the love of water and diving and the feeling only but they do it for the kicks of achiving and getting the high.

Freedivers who compet always like to see themselves as a big happy family with a open friendly atmosphere, but really, is it really like this?

If all claimed world champion or champion freedivers actually was the champions they say they are there would need to be a hundred current disciplines to house them all as champions at the same time.

Freediving is becoming like sopme other sports with different agencies and schools and becuase of this many world champion athletes with big cool webpages acclaiming their greatness as beeing the current best freediver in the world.

First, I dive because I love the water and the challenge of freediving. I have not competed yet. It's for the feeling that both those things give me. Same reason some people want to be the record holder in whatever discipline I imagine.

As for so many world champs, it's kind of like being a champ in other sports. You held the title so your still considered a champ. The depths are ever increasing and the training changing so fast that just like the great divers of the past, today's records will be surpassed. For someone to call themselves a 5, 6, 10, 12, 15 time record holder is not that big of a deal imo.

People know, for the most part, who the top divers are right now.

I dunno, haven't many a-holes yet. Different motivations, sure, narsistic - sometimes. But all in all pretty cool people most of them...

The really hazardous ones usually wear themselves out before they reach "champion" status :)

Reactions: ILDiver
I have been at one big World class event and been safety on 3 world records (not attempts, actual records). There were about 20 world class freedivers there (and me!). I would lend my favorite pair of fins, snorkel, or EVEN best speargun to any of them, they were all THAT GOOD people.

I am more curious as to how you get this distorted image? Exentric: yes, anything else, look into the mirror.

Reactions: Adrian
ive met a fair few divers and there is only one who was an a hole but he was not that good a diver anyway
but to judge anyone for their sports choice not possible

we do not see things/people as they are we see them as we are

It seems there is 2 different kind of freedivers the elite people that are friendly for stonsors and media but assholes to other freedivers, and there is the ones who really loves water and diving and do not out the fins on the shelf just because they can not be the best teachers in freediving anymore or not the top of the game.

To some i guess the image of the sport as a thing for hard fucused people to dare the dangers of the deep attracts those who seek some kind of recognition for starting agency or becoming the best of in other way write about themselves and promote themselves as some super heroes.

SO the question is, who do you do it for?

Not many freedivers really do it for the love of water and diving and the feeling only but they do it for the kicks of achiving and getting the high.

Freedivers who compet always like to see themselves as a big happy family with a open friendly atmosphere, but really, is it really like this?

Yeoow! Did someone get up your nose recently? Steal your fins? Cork your snorkel? rofl rofl

Reactions: drunkinbda
"Cork your snorkel" -- this made me LOL (in the parlance of our times).

I'm always suprised by how friendly freedivers are, even the good ones. This makes a nice contrast to many sports where the "star"s won't even look at you.

I think there's probably quite a big difference between how people behave in real life and what they put on their websites. Although some of the things online may appear conceited, it is how people get known, and you probably have to sell yourself like a two dollar whore to get at any of the meagre sponsorship money in this sport.

And to answer the question in the first post, my motivation is probably something like 70% the experience, 20% personal competitiveness (bettering a pb etc) and 10% ego/pure competitiveness. Thinking about it, that's pretty much my motivation in other sports too...

Hi,
I know quite a lot of freedivers around the world. Some of them are the most friendly and humble people I ever met. Some others are imo also complete idiots and probably they think of me as an a-hole too... but I guess that's what the world is like. You can't like everyone.
But that doesn't meen even the ones you don't like are not pasionate about their sport!

For me its very simple, I dive because I love being in, on and under the water.
It’s without doubt the best stress relieve I’ve ever known and if a fish comes along when I’m down there all the better but if it doesn’t then I really don’t care.
I’ve never dived competitively and I never will as I’m not in it for that and as for the type of people I’ve met while diving I can honestly say that they are among the finest people I have ever met and probably ever will.

I dive because I NEED TO! It's in my blood and If I go a long time without being in the water- I have WITHDRAWLS (shake, sweat profusely & Vomit) jk. But It is what I love doing- if it's with friends or by myself (safe/shallow/short dives).

As far as A-Holes go. I've only met one and he was inexperienced and ignorant. The One World Class Freediver I met was very cool- He was NORMAL (normal = buys his own food, puts his wetsuit on one leg at a time) very friendly and helpful. I'm sure there are some out there that might not be the nicest- but that's probably their personality because of who they are or how they were raised not because they are freedivers.

My 2 cents or Euro's depending on your location ;)

Mmm..I took up the sport for the challenge and a slight love of the water. It amazes me what the human body is compable of doing whatever the challenge. I belive at the moment that if your priciple of freediving is to challenge yourself to see what you are capable of achieving then freediving is the ultimate. Take away your ability to breath and you have nothing left!

I took up cage fighting a while ago and was fairly successful 7-1-3 (wins draws loses) as this was also a challenge to see what was i capable in comparison to others? I found the answer but not in the same way as i find from freediving.

I meet Herbert Nitsch last year at the NEC in the u.k and had a couple of beers with him, really cool guy, very helpful and not big headed!

I guess i will have to answer after i compete next year.

chrismar: pick a new flatmate.

I really dive for the fun of the explanation to inocent bystanders and the "does not really kill braincells" lie that we get to tell everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm amazed that this guy had such an awful experience amongst freedivers. Sure, there are indeed "know-it-alls," and I'm sure there are some big egos out there too. But I oftentimes sit around and marvel how much the community IS like a big family. I've met a few world/national record breakers, and you know what? They have all been kind, and completely down to earth. No superiority complexes at all. Everyone I've dove with thus far has been more than willing to learn, and more than willing to teach. Sure, there are some bullheaded people whose safety skills are a bit lacking. But isn't this true just driving to the store to get a carton of milk?
Anyway, the freediving community is one of the most welcoming, entertaining communities of which I've ever considered myself a part.
Peace!:friday

It seems there is 2 different kind of freedivers the elite people that are friendly for stonsors and media but assholes to other freedivers, ..........

Poseidon,
In my experience freedivers have unusually high ratio of decent people, when you compare them to another sport / hobbie.

Perhaps its the ability / requirement to be able to relax. People whom you and I would consider as "A-Holes", usually have a problem with the whole concept of "relaxing".

Last edited:
Reactions: podge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT