• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedivers: Narcisistic Selfish Insidelooking angry people?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've met my share of DIR and non-DIR tech divers who are a bit full of themselves. :head

It just so happens that my worst run-in's have been with the non-DIR types, but that dosn't mean I think one is worse than the other- compared to freedivers that I have met they are all too full of themselves.rofl

Jon

Jon: shall I use google or will you tell us thickies (remember, less brain cells) what DIR is all about?

DIR is a philosophy used in technical (particularly cave diving) and was given a bad rap by the antics of George Irvine. He was a fanatic about how dives should be done. If you did not do it his way, you were a "stroke". George fostered that way of thinking into other peoples minds as well.

That's my abbreviated take on it.

It a specific style of scbua diving that usually is used by technical divers- though they have recrational sysytems as well. It stand for Doing It Right and has blow hards who support it- and rail against it.

It's a pretty touchy subject on many Scuba forums. I can't think of any argument in the freediving that could rival it.

I want to hear more about the kitten beating freediver who was the reason for this whole disccussion.;)

Jon

In reply to the original post, this guy seems to think so:

Dive Girl: Free diving, Apnea, breath hold divers

First, this guy is a scuba diver with some issues. The good looking girl he was talking too was not looking at him. Maybe what that guy meant to say was, freedivers are generally better people and not ogling pigs? Well, most of us. I'm a pig myself. But most of the divers especially at an event are focused and good at what they do.

Freedivers are a strange type of individual imo. It's not a common sport and it does take a certain amount of drive. When a diver is getting ready to dive it's no different than any other athlete. A football player on his way to the field is not going to stop and grab a cheerleader for a quickie.

There was a story around the time of the Olympics where the athletes go crazy after their events are over. I'm guessing freedivers are the same way.

Freedivers are just people. You have good and bad, gay and straight. Judging a person based on how they treated people at a competition is not fair. They are usually trying to minimize distractions. Media is a necessary evil. Talking to the press could be a sponsorship requirement or a chance to be seen by sponsors. Being focused to do the dives that freedivers do makes them seem closed off. And they are, but only at that time, it's not a reflection of their personality.

Also, it depends on who you ask about freedivers. As mentioned by two of my dive buddies, there is a diver in WI that is not well liked by a majority of us. But if you ask him, there are a lot of freedivers who are scum. It's perspective.

All the freedivers I KNOW are good people. The better freedivers I've met are good people. The one person I've met through freediving and I don't care for, I wouldn't have cared for his personality if I met him in any other environment either.

Love the topic :)

The only thing that annoys me about other/some/a few freedivers is that in almost every tv show about freediving. You have to see the freediver doing that wierd yoga sucking the stomach all in exercise.

Please stop doing that on tv :) it makes us look wierd

The only thing that annoys me about other/some/a few freedivers is that in almost every tv show about freediving. You have to see the freediver doing that wierd yoga sucking the stomach all in exercise.

fair point, oh and the journalistic banter re-deathwish. oh dear, maybe original poster was right?:crutch

dude never done it on tv but its the only time i look thin!!!!!! dont take that away from me

its what us overweight podgy people call the (hastlehoff) ha ha
it does not make us look wierd it makes our bellies small and we can see if our fins are on the right feet

The only place for DIR is in the bedroom.

As a freediving primadonna myself, I resent this thread in its entirety. Gaston, *snap of fingers * mon monopalme!

I only get out of bed for:
-freediver groupies
-10,000 Euro
-Kiwi fresh fish cookouts

For me I just Freedive to overcome my fear of the ocean (I'm a pool lover). As I climb mountain to overcome my fear of heights. I still get the shiver when i can't see the bottom, i'm always thinkin that a great white might suddenly appear and smack me in my ass!!! Hehehehe

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT