• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Ban

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I just picked my daughter up from school and started talking to one of the other parents who works there. He gave me a little more background on what happened last year.

I guess the coach pushed all of the 8 year olds to go as far as the could underwater, without direct supervison, and the promise of a candy bar to the kid that could go the furthest.:head I heard from another guard who works there that the blackout was pretty ugly and caught everyone off guard.

I've done other types of training in the past (bogdats, over/under laps, count down laps, surface swimming apnea, no-fins, pyramid sets while swimming) and may just have to go back to them. I know they worked to help my underwater hockey game, which I no longer play due to a neck injury, but am not sure how effective they would be for FRC training.

At the momoent I'm thinking of ditching the pool in favor of apnea hiking up the hill in my backyard. ;)

Jon

So Jon, how does it look now with your pool training? Did they drop the ban finally? Well, you could also work on your DNF technique: if they permit only a single length underwater, you can try doing the full pool lap with a single stroke :)

I do single lengths and they leave me alone. These days I'm starting out with repeat exhale laps with much shorter recovery times, followed by exhale laps doing no fins. Everything is rather slow underwater- to maximize my single lap time. I do make sure that I am always moving before they get too upset about that.

The other issue I just ran into is my favorite winter spot for openwater diving has just frozen solid- for the first time in my memory. It's not because it's any colder than normal, but the power plant has been shut down- so no warm water to melt a hole for me. I'm not sure why they closed it down, but it could be the crappy economy has cut the need for power, or it could be because it's a cold fired plant and is dirtier than some of their newer ones.:confused:

Last year it had the hole melted the lake out to 10 meters of depth- which was perfect for working on the FRC thing. This year it looks like chainsaws and ropes for icediving- which is a lot more work, requires a group, and can't be done on a weekly basis.

I'm pretty disappointed right about now as last month I was training FRC in the pool 5 days a week and getting out in openwater once a week. Right about now it's -25F outside, snow everywhere, and diving training is getting harder to do. I'm thinking of adding some running back into the mix just to get something going. I cant even bike these days with my kids because of the sever weather. Yes, I'm getting cabin fever and it's not even Christmas.:head

Jon

repeat exhale laps with much shorter recovery times, followed by exhale laps doing no fins.

Careful

People die all the time in pools. Specially those who think they are safe just because there are other people in the pool. I could give you many examples of apnea activities where people die in pools with lifeguards and other people around. Three cases in sweden I can remember and several close calls.

Sebastian

PS If you would do exhale with shortened recovery without other freediver supervision in our club, even in your free time, you would probably be kicked out.

Anyhow, good luck with your training

cutting holes in ice to train! thats hard core! i think i am doing it tough as i have to wear a wetty to train! you must get a crazy dive response frc in water so cold?

in the pool i train in i will not do 25m if im not being watched. not that i think i will black out but if people are watching it looks alot safer and sets a good example.
if i ever train alone i swim on the surface or grab a kick board and work on my kick.
there are some pools here that will not let us do any apnea at all. i want to change there minds this year by showing how we can keep it safe.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT