• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Media Base & Apnea Training Manager

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
well done trux a lot of work obviously went into it. congrats on a great site.
i take it you passed Fergus :vangry

I have my second go now, it reminds me of my driving license...

If you have doubts about some questions, feel free to ask. Although I am explicitly writing on the page that I do not wish that anyone posts anywhere tips about the correct answers, I have noting against it, if it comes together with good explanation, helping to understand the problem (and not only passing the right answer without any detailed info and reasoning behind it)

yeah i got in,the questions i had were multiple choice with some obvious wrong answers and then two answers that i had to think about which was the correct one so on that basis i had a 50/50 chance of being right.

What may be confusing is that sometimes there may be multiple correct answers (and you have to check all of them), and sometimes it can happen that there is no correct answer at all. That's because the answers are pulled from a database randomly.

failed too but went on and get into the system! Excellent work Trux, respect for all the effort put into it. I gotta try some of the training programmes and if they have merits, i'll certainly upgrade.
serge

I really liked the test, I failed the first round but passed the second one. I think the test could be another stand alone feature of your site, just for people to test their knowledge. Perhaps it could be available as such once one passes the first test.

On another topic there's a freediving glossary I put together by browsing the forums and writing terms and definitions I read on the DB posts and different medical sites. I don't know if you have it in your database but it might be useful. I'ts quite incomplete and obviously very improvable - the last entry was in 2003!
http://forums.deeperblue.net/general-freediving/30590-glossary-freediving-terms-2.html#post216035

Reactions: trux
Well done trux.

I can see a lot of thought and effort were put into this project.
good luck with developing it further!

~ Snuf.

I went in at first try, but when i want to log in, it says "Sorry, too many failed login attempts! at first try, i don't know what am i doing bad...can you help me Trux?

I see your registration is not yet completed. I see you passed the quiz and confirmed the terms & contidions, but did not terminate the registration yet. Maybe you selected by mistake the paying account type instead of the default free one, and did not pay then? Anyway, try closing the browser, then opening again, and when logging in, type your login name, but click the button "new user" again instead of "login". That should bring you back where you stopped and you may be able to terminate the registration. If it does not help, contact me by PM - I'll try to find out.

From what i know about databases and dynamic websites, there's a lot of work and time investment in it! Congrats and thank you!

Thanks to all for the positive comments! I am pleased you like it. Though on the other hand I see a lot of people has troubles registering. At this moment 87 people tried to register, 36 succeeded, 40 failed to pass the quiz, and 11 abandoned the registration for another problem. At some it might have been the age limitation, and I know about three users having problems with login (but two of them passed through in the meantime).

So although I see more people have problems with the quiz than I expected, I am glad there are numerous people who registered and hopefully tried the Training Manager. I am little bit surprised though that I did not hear any feedback or comments about the online static tables, and other training sessions that are available there. I also see that most people logged in only once, so would like to know whether they were disappointed with the content, or if it is too complicated to use, or if there are some functionality/compatibility issues, or if there is any other reason why nobody commented on it yet.

I am also surprised than nobody added any links or media to the database yet. If you have your own personal website (freediving related) or a favorite one that is still missing in the database, do not hesitate to add it there. Same goes for freedving video, books, DVDs, games, documents, etc. I will continue to add new records anyway, but some of them are not easy to found (especially those in exotic languages), so I hope the community will help me extending it. BTW, today I reached 1400 records in the media database. Almost 700 of it are videos.

Reactions: DeepThought
Congratulations Trux, this is a lot of work. I'm looking around the website to let you know

Apnea.cz Site Statistics

I've added another page with some statistical data and made it public. You can either click the light gray "page hits" label at the right bottom of the page at apnea.cz, or use this link if you want to look at it.

Besides the page hits, and number of individual media records in the database, the most interesting for you will be probably the user statistics (anonymous). Once you register, you can enter diverse personal data, including weight, height, pulmonary capacity, and personal bests (PB) in diverse disciplines. Although the data are not mandatory, I recommend entering it and giving true values. The data won't be disclosed (unless you select you wan to keep them public, in your profile settings). All personal data are stored encrypted on the server, so even in case of hacker attack, they will stay safe.

The data is not only used in the global statistics, but especially helps with recommending appropriate exercises and their level or length. It will be also used much more in the future, and I'll be diverse other statistics, analysis, and comparison functions.

At the moment only a part of registered users filled in the personal data, but the sample is already big enough to get a basic idea about the averages. And they are quite interesting. Thanks to the registration test, it looks like that the majority of registered freedivers are of a rather advanced level. Also the average height of over 180cm is rather surprising. Hope it is not due to user mistakes at metric/imperial conversion.

Have a look at some of the results:
  • Total users: 110
  • Registered users: 46 (41.8%)
  • Abandoned registrations (quiz): 51 (46.4%)
  • Abandoned registrations (other): 13 (11.8%)
  • Average user age: 33.5 years
  • Average user weight: 79.9 kg
  • Average user height: 182.7 cm
  • Average maximal pulmonary capacity: 7.2 l
  • Average STA: 05:12 s
  • Average DYF: 102.4 m
  • Average DNF: 72.4 m
  • Average CWT: 42.1 m
  • Average CNF: 26.6 m
  • Average FIM: 44.8 m
If you already registered, but did not enter the data, or did not enter real values, please try finding some time for it the next time you log in. Everyone will profit from it, and you too. As I told, more analysis, training adjustment, and coaching features are in works, so the data will be quite important for it.

Last edited:
Well I finally managed to get through on my third go - and learned some things in the process. Looks amazing and above and beyond anything that has come before. I am really looking forward to putting it to use.
I tried to upgrade to a paid membership but can't seem to get through to where I can do it.
One suggestion - can there be some more detailed explanations as to the exact nature of the brething excercises. Descriptions are provided for some but not others. What is a breathup exactly. That term means one thing to some people and something different to others.
Generally very well done!

Well I finally managed to get through on my third go - and learned some things in the process. Looks amazing and above and beyond anything that has come before. I am really looking forward to putting it to use.
I tried to upgrade to a paid membership but can't seem to get through to where I can do it.
Upgrades are possible in your profile settings. Profile is the first left menu item in the top menu, when you are logged into the Apnea Training Manager (ATM). You can then click the link "upgrade" below the account type line. However, please note, that many of the paying features are not yet implemented. You can see currently available features in the chart after clicking the upgrade link.

One suggestion - can there be some more detailed explanations as to the exact nature of the breathing exercises. Descriptions are provided for some but not others. What is a breath-up exactly. That term means one thing to some people and something different to others.
Yes, I know that there may be more explanation, but that's really elephant work. Already now I spent many man-months of intensive work on it, and there is still around 500 programming tasks on my to-do list, so am afraid I'll not manage to get to such details anytime soon. Though, that's exactly why I made the system open, and that the exercises may be edited by users. I am hoping that the community will help improving it.

Specifically, breath-up is explained though - just watch the bottom pane of the ATM interface when running an exercise: it tells you what to do at each task, and it does it also at the breath-up.

Personal Data

Due to a small bug, some of the numerical values of the user personal data were stored as integer values (whole numbers), instead of floating point numbers, hence the value behind the decimal point was lost when stored in the database. In most cases it does not really matter, and the integer values are precise enough, but at the pulmonary capacities, where the values are low (especially at the residual volume), the fraction values are missing (and screwing up the statistics).

I have fixed the database now, so if you find time, please log into your ATM account and please re-enter the data. The profile settings are available in the first (left-most) top menu item. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you in advance.

I extended again the statistic page and added more data and some bar charts too. Besides the averages I added also some min and max values, and also country statistics - list of top countries sorted by number of registered users, and including also the numbers of media links available from given countries.

It is very interesting that there is already quite high number of countries represented - 29 countries at only 63 registered members. There is a big number of countries with just a single freediver. Only France with 6 freedivers, and then couple of other countries with more than one member top the list. Also interesting is that there are representatives of many small European inland countries, but freedivers from countries with great freediving populations are still missing (Italy, Greece, South Africa, Australia,...).

Check it out here: APNEA.cz - Site Statistics

Reactions: fpernett
Have a look at some of the results:
  • Total users: 110
  • Registered users: 46 (41.8%)
  • Abandoned registrations (quiz): 51 (46.4%)
  • Abandoned registrations (other): 13 (11.8%)
  • Average user age: 33.5 years
  • Average user weight: 79.9 kg
  • Average user height: 182.7 cm
  • Average maximal pulmonary capacity: 7.2 l
  • Average STA: 05:12 s
  • Average DYF: 102.4 m
  • Average DNF: 72.4 m
  • Average CWT: 42.1 m
  • Average CNF: 26.6 m
  • Average FIM: 44.8 m
It's great to see for the first time some statistical data on freedivers from various backgrounds, countries, etc and their declared performances. Now i know what i already suspected - i'm average!

I passed on the third try. Do You get an AIDA *** certificate when passing the first quiz? :t
The site looks good. I haven't actually done anything there yet, but just browsed. Nice!

I have a problem whit creating account of apnea training . I had answered all the questions correct but the computer log me out . I think there is some problems whit the little test there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT