• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

From Italy to South West Ireland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spazio

Apr 18, 2005
First of all, hello to everybody! :)

Would you go from Italy to South West Ireland for spearfishing?

I explain better.

I'd like to take a good occasion for a good flight to Kerry.

I'm very attracted by Ireland, its marvellous landascapes and the ocean.

I'm sure it's worth.

My main question is about spearifishing, as I'd like to do it most of the time.

I absolutely don't know how the sea is there.

Where I live the main problem is the clearence of the water.

When is good, it's only 2, 3 meters (1 meter= 3,28 feet). Most of the time it's impossible to spear because you can't see your hands, due to the sand of our adriatic sea.

How is there?
Is it possible to spear also if the ocean is moving?

Is it depth?

Is it worth in term of quantity of fishes?

Above all, is it quite or is it full of people during the end of June, beginning of July, like here?

I would surely rent a car (even if terrified by the left hand driving...) and maybe a couple of days also a little boat.

I usually spear at a maximum depth of 12 meters (1 meter= 3,28 feet) and normally 40-50 seconds.

Do you think I will have a chance or could it be boring?

I don't want to go only for tourism but mainly to spear into the ocean and then the rest.

The last question: dangerous fishes (sharks etc)?

In the Adriatic sea there aren't, except from few white sharks which are very rare but, unfortunately, among the biggest in the world, 6,7 meters ....:head

Thank you very much for evey suggestion and eventually further contacts to ask to.

Bye, Emidio

Sapzio,
PM to Huan...oracle on everything...speaks latin and lives in Ireland !

Rob

Spazio

Visibility is usually excellent now with 12m visibility not uncommon.
Sharks, you could be lucky and see a blue shark but otherwise no.
Depth - off the shore you can get 20m in places, plenty of fish and not too many people. June and July are busy but nothing compared to the Adriatic.
Hard to rent small boats here better dive from shore.

spazio said:
I would surely rent a car (even if terrified by the left hand driving...)
rofl
Man its you guys who drive on the wrong side of the road rofl I would brick myself if I had to drive on the right :crutch

Last time I was i Italy I landed off the plane with a bunch of lads we had had a few drinks to kepp the irish sterotypes alive and well. we were picked up at night in a taxi/mini bus to bring us to the hotel. It was a cool taxi and the driver with me riding shotgun in the front. the driver pushed a button and up popped a tv with a footballl match on I thought it pretty cool but am not really into football but the driver was and seemed to be enjoying the game. I literally near S___ myself as in my drunken state we came fast into a roundabout on the wrong side of the road with cars everywhere and the driver watching as the striker made a go for goal ittook the rest of the journy to recover.

Huan said:
Spazio

Visibility is usually excellent now with 12m visibility not uncommon.
Sharks, you could be lucky and see a blue shark but otherwise no.
Depth - off the shore you can get 20m in places, plenty of fish and not too many people. June and July are busy but nothing compared to the Adriatic.
Hard to rent small boats here better dive from shore.

thank you very much huan!

I was planning to pass a week before a big deal of work, that for me means the whole summer and autumn, at a small island not far from where I live.

unfortunately, due to several reasons, it's not more possible

therefore, without stopping at work, it will be very hard and decided for an alternative...

I'm very attracted by Ireland, because it's surely beautiful and very different from here...

but I want to be sure not to get bored, because of lack of infos....

therefore, sorry if I ask again....

you said that I must be lucky to see a blue shark... really I don't want to meet shark at all!!! unless the blue shark is not dangerous...

moreover, if I enter at the shore, at a medium depth of 6-8 mt and maximun 12 mt, will I have any chance?

which is the best place, strategically speaking, for the accomodation, so to be able to travel to the most interestings places to spearfishing?

maybe a little island could be better, because of the tranquillity, what do you think?

thank you very very much

emidio

You should be fine. I have speared many fish on shore dives at a spot in County Sligo in less than 6m of water. Visibility varies--today it was over 10 ft but at best I've had vis of around 15m.

I'm so curious to see how is the sea by you.....!!!

Do you think that my idea of going to the South West is good or maybe other parts of Ireland are better?

Maybe a little and quite island?

How about streams?
Could they be dangerous?

Thank you for your patience in answering....

The Ryanair will land at:

1- Kerry
2- Cork
3- Irelandwest-Knock
4- Derry

I think Kerry could be the best choice....

Kerry best choice.
You are not likely to see any blue sharks.
Islands - not really any better than mainland.
Streams likely to get you into trouble, Salmon is forbidden to be speared.

thank you again huan!

I hope to manage this trip!

the last questions:

1- you said: "streams likely to get you into trouble" it means that I'll get in trouble or not? :)
2- I have a cressi comanche 90 (rubber) a sporasub sniper 115 (rubber) and a stealth 70 (oil). shall I take all the three to be sure? if not suitable I can also ask to friends for other types.
3- wetsuit: cressi super competition (mixed between 5 and 6.5 mm) and omer 3 mm. better both ones? I don't suffer the cold.
4- i can look for an accomodation wherever in kerry or some cities are more strategical, in order to drive less (remember the left side driving)? :))
5- don't kill me for all these questions, i'm going to finish.... left drive menas also, in crossroads, to give priority to the left? here you drive on the right side and give priority to the right side.
6- if I catch also only one fish can I invite you for dinner? :)))))

thank you very very much

emidio

Hi Emidio
No spearing in Freshwater streams. You will be accused of poaching salmon.
I think 90cm is good for Ireland, better use rubber guns as the oil type is classed as a firearm and may cause trouble.
5mm wetsuit is sufficient for here, although the 3mm may need less weight = less baggage.
In Kerry there are no cities, only towns.
I would recommend hiring a car and driving to the north side of the Dingle peninsula and maybe camping or try B+B
I am sure that you will be able to drive here OK just drive slow and let people past you -no problems.
I am not very close to dingle now, maybe a 1.5 hr drive from my house. but enjoy the fish.
and remember this:

BASS

It is prohibited to take and kill more than two bass on any one day.( Bye-law No.667)
Minimum overall size limit of 40cm. From tip of snout to end of tail
· Closed season from 15th May to 15th June.

Note: Penalties for breach of the above laws include confiscation of tackle and heavy fines.

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/aboutus/legislation.htm

Reactions: Oldsarge
thank you very much for all this information.

if you will ever need anything from italy, information, equipment or whatever else, simply ask.

thank you again.

emidio

Is the closed season to protect spawning bass? If so, it would be great to that in force in the UK. I'm always gutted to find that I've killed a female bass when she is full of eggs.

Andy Davies said:
Is the closed season to protect spawning bass? If so, it would be great to that in force in the UK. I'm always gutted to find that I've killed a female bass when she is full of eggs.

yes, I completely agree.... it's a big damage for everyone!

Hey Spazio!

Ireland is just great! Land, people and guinnes,...
Dont't worry about driving there. Traffic is way more relaxed than in Italy. just keep left and you'll be fine. still the rule is right first, than left. but most intersections do have traffic signs anyway. after a few days you'll like it more than driving the right lane.

I'm from austria and my brother and I we are looking for a close spot to go spearfishing. you mentioned that you are from Italy. where is a good spot there? we thought about going to "la spezia" cause it not too long of a drive from Innsbruck.

we where in Croatia recently, and it was alright, but not as easy as in Australia or Norway. only chance to get fish is by getting up very early. I bet it's alike in Italy.

Can you give us any recommendations about where to go best in Italy. Also about fishing rules and regulations. fishing fees. better adriatic side or mediterranean.

Any help and hint is highly appreciated.

Fin.

PS: I saw a video where a guy was spearfishing in an italian lake. is that allowed? can I for example spearfish in lago di garda?

Hey Spazio!

Ireland is just great! Land, people and guinnes,...
Dont't worry about driving there. Traffic is way more relaxed than in Italy. just keep left and you'll be fine. still the rule is right first, than left. but most intersections do have traffic signs anyway. after a few days you'll like it more than driving the right lane.

I'm from austria and my brother and I we are looking for a close spot to go spearfishing. you mentioned that you are from Italy. where is a good spot there? we thought about going to "la spezia" cause it not too long of a drive from Innsbruck.

we where in Croatia recently, and it was alright, but not as easy as in Australia or Norway. only chance to get fish is by getting up very early. I bet it's alike in Italy.

Can you give us any recommendations about where to go best in Italy. Also about fishing rules and regulations. fishing fees. better adriatic side or mediterranean.

Any help and hint is highly appreciated.

Fin.

PS: I saw a video where a guy was spearfishing in an italian lake. is that allowed? can I for example spearfish in lago di garda?

it will be more difficult.

it depends on the type of holiday you're planning.

if you are intended to spearfish and also looking around, you can come without any problem.

if your intention are basicly to spearfish, you'd better go in another season.

also I was going to the same place but I couldn't organize myself earlier, that's why I'm planning to go to ireland or to another quieter place, because I'd love only to fish in peace and looking around will not be very important to me.

from innsbruck, croatia is surely the best solution, because it's not far and is beautiful. but it's very important to know exactly the good places, especially in this season.

in the two forums where I use to be in italy, there have been many discussions and good advise about it.
I remember on, recently, exactly in northern croatia, close to the italian border.
the forums are:

http://www.bluworld.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

http://www.apneamagazine.com/ibf/index.php?act=SF&f=4

try with search (cerca) with the words croatia (croazia) northern croazia (croazia settentrionale or nord croazia) if you can understand italian, otherwise, post in english.
croatian friends speaks english and also some italian ones do.

as for italy, as sais, this is not the best time for spearfishing, surely all the year is for looking around.

the adriatic coast is all sandy with only line of rocks put to protect the beaches. the unique exceptions are the tremiti islands and some little parts of my region, abruzzo, in the south.

then marvellous is the salento, jonio coast.

this will be too far from innsbruck.

the other coast, the tirrenic coast is mostly rocky with alsomany islands.

from innsbruck, as you said, la spezia is good strategically.

from la spezia, travelling westside is rocky until the border of france.
in the southern directions is mixed.

you can also consider to take the ship with the car in piombino and travel until elba island. it's very nice.

in all tuscany you will have thousands of things to see and to do.

other places are too far.

sardinia is wonderful everywhere but you need to take the ship and sail many hours.

if youd ecide to go in this season, remember to ask to friends in some forums, because you'd better go and know where exactly to spearfish, otherwise you'll run the risk to see wonderful underwater places but have no chance to catch a fish.

as for the lakes, in northern italy tou can spearfish into the garda lake and como lake.

after your survey in the forums, if you need to know some more detail, I will ask for you.

please tell me something more about spearfishing in ireland and norway.

all the best.

emidio

Hi Guys!

If you want to go to Norway there are many beautiful locations! I have been to the Bergen region and found an excellent local spearfisher named Börje!
His company is named "frivannsliv" you can check it out if you don't already know it. He also knows all the good spots (not only fish but also crab and mussels), where there can literally be hundreds of fish! Good spots are always in currents, where the little fish feed and the big ones go after the little ones! Water ist quite cold (Summer 12-15 °C) Open cell neopren (6,5mm) will keeep you warm; my 6,5mm semi-dry suit was kind of cold and limited my "bottom" time...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT