• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

From Italy to South West Ireland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
For Spear-Fin: lago di garda is a yes-yes for great fun spearfishing. You may send me a pm me for any information.
To stay sort-of on topic (Ireland, Italy and stereotypes), if you go to lake Garda, pay a visit to a town called Desenzano del Garda: plenty of good spearfishing spots, and moreover an irish pub run by a man from Sligo with the best beers I've ever tasted in Italy (irish beer of course: Guinnes, Harp and Kilkenny).

spaghetti said:
For Spear-Fin: lago di garda is a yes-yes for great fun spearfishing. You may send me a pm me for any information.
To stay sort-of on topic (Ireland, Italy and stereotypes), if you go to lake Garda, pay a visit to a town called Desenzano del Garda: plenty of good spearfishing spots, and moreover an irish pub run by a man from Sligo with the best beers I've ever tasted in Italy (irish beer of course: Guinnes, Harp and Kilkenny).

ciao!

you're talking as you've already been in ireland.

do you have any suggestion?

thanks

stammi bene!

Marius said:
Hi Guys!

If you want to go to Norway there are many beautiful locations! I have been to the Bergen region and found an excellent local spearfisher named Börje!
His company is named "frivannsliv" you can check it out if you don't already know it. He also knows all the good spots (not only fish but also crab and mussels), where there can literally be hundreds of fish! Good spots are always in currents, where the little fish feed and the big ones go after the little ones! Water ist quite cold (Summer 12-15 °C) Open cell neopren (6,5mm) will keeep you warm; my 6,5mm semi-dry suit was kind of cold and limited my "bottom" time...

there's a flight for an airport just near bergen....!

life is very expensive there, I imagine, much more than ireland, doesn't it?

spazio said:
ciao!
you're talking as you've already been in ireland.
do you have any suggestion?
My suggestion for this season is: Guinness extra cold! rofl :friday
Sorry Emidio, not yet been there even if I'm sure it would be worth it.
quando torni cammi sapere com'è. Ciao!

Thank you all for your hints!

I was in Ireland but unfortunately not to go spearfishing there. But I did a little reseach on the web about that. I found quite interesting things:
1. Since the great famine fish has the reputation of being a poor mans food in ireland. They seem to not like fish so much. So they don't go fishing as much as croatians or italians. Except trout and salmon.
2. I hardly found anything about spearfishing there. Only about angling. I even called the fisheries and they couldn't provide detailed information about spearfishing. so I guess the fish will be quite curiously approaching you because having hardly ever seen predator in a wetsuit before. ;-)
3. Here two useful links. They are about rod-fishing but on the maps that you can download for free, are heaps of spots for different fish. I guess we as spearos can use this info just as good.

http://www.swrfb.com/
http://cfb.ie

PS: Guinness definitely extra cold!

Norway vs. Ireland:

Yes Norway is indeed expensive! Because of that we went camping, preparing our own food and moving from spot to spot! It is allowed to stay at any place (for wild camping) for a maximum of two days! Open fire is not allowed in the summer month (therefore we had a charcoal grill). In Norway you can really go for a great "adventure-holiday" if you like that...

Ask Fin (my brother) for the prices in Ireland!

Once again me, guys.

I hope you downloaded the great maps of southwest ireland.
For Spazio!
well, im not in looking around. Plain spearfishing is the deal! the more fish, the better. thats my first goal, when planning a holiday. ;-)
but thanks very much for your helpful hints!
unfortunately i don't speak italian...

more tips for plain spearos still welcome...

Spear-Fin said:
Once again me, guys.

I hope you downloaded the great maps of southwest ireland.
For Spazio!
well, im not in looking around. Plain spearfishing is the deal! the more fish, the better. thats my first goal, when planning a holiday. ;-)
but thanks very much for your helpful hints!
unfortunately i don't speak italian...

more tips for plain spearos still welcome...

thanks for the info!

considering as general rule that summertime is always more crowdy than other seasons, I suggest the external islands of northern croatia and istria.
as external I mean the last one towards italy.

in italy, not far from innsbruck, I would exclude completely the adriatic sea, unless you aren't willing to travel till the southern part of puglia, in the salento area.

therefore, tuscany.

I would try the elba island which has a lot of places you can reach also by car. it's very close to the mainland, therfore also the cost for travelling with the ship is ok.

along the coast of tuscany, the area of cinque terre, excluding the park, argentario and nearby piombino.

then if you want to do the best among all these solutions but travel further, then take the ship from livorno and go to island of corse.

also in summer you can have good time, because they continuously open areas that were closed as parks and close new ones.
in this way many places are very well preserved.
exclude the east side and go either to the northern part or to the south-western one.

all the best

emidio

Marius said:
Norway vs. Ireland:

Yes Norway is indeed expensive! Because of that we went camping, preparing our own food and moving from spot to spot! It is allowed to stay at any place (for wild camping) for a maximum of two days! Open fire is not allowed in the summer month (therefore we had a charcoal grill). In Norway you can really go for a great "adventure-holiday" if you like that...

Ask Fin (my brother) for the prices in Ireland!

I usually rent a little house with friends where we can cook and store and prepare all the equipment.

I will consider norway for a next time.

I've already been there but not for spearfishing and I saw it's really beautiful.

spaghetti said:
My suggestion for this season is: Guinness extra cold! rofl :friday
Sorry Emidio, not yet been there even if I'm sure it would be worth it.
quando torni cammi sapere com'è. Ciao!

I hope I can manage it.

in positive case I'll let you know the results, among with all the other friends of the forum.

Back to Italy again...

Can someone translate the following for me? Maybe not everything but just the most important facts. It should be the regulations for spearfishing in lake Garda.

Thanks a lot.

Il riepilogo di tutte le normative conosciute provinciali e regionali sulla regolamentazione della pesca in apnea nei laghi GARDA, COMO, ISEO.

E' sempre consigliabile verificare normative e località esatte di pesca, inoltre si avvisa che Regioni, Provincie e Comuni possono emanare ordinanze di modifica delle normative in qualsiasi momento.

In tutte le acque interne è obbligatoria la licenza di pesca GOVERNATIVA (regionale) e il tesserino Fipsas per eventuali acque convenzionate (Lecco).
La licenza governativa può essere rilasciata solo dalla regione di residenza, ha validità di 10 anni , salvo quelle rilasciate prima del 2003 che hanno validità di 6 anni.
Annualmente va pagata la tassa regionale (salvo le regioni esenti), la tassa ha scadenza annuale comunque alla corrispondente data di rilascio.

Provincia di Trento zone

non sono previste zone particolari di pesca in apnea, si può pescare ovunque salvo le zone di tutela, ripopolamento, portuali, balneari.

E' vietata la navigazione a motore, quindi è vietato l'uso del gommone.

Il riepilogo di tutte le normative conosciute provinciali e regionali sulla regolamentazione della pesca in apnea nei laghi GARDA, COMO, ISEO.

E' consigliabile verificare sempre normative e località esatte di pesca, inoltre si avvisa che le Regioni,Provincie, Comuni possono in qualsiasi momento emanare ordinanze di modifica o sospensione normative

Spear-Fin said:
Back to Italy again...

In tutte le acque interne è obbligatoria la licenza di pesca GOVERNATIVA (regionale) e il tesserino Fipsas per eventuali acque convenzionate (Lecco).
La licenza governativa può essere rilasciata solo dalla regione di residenza, ha validità di 10 anni , salvo quelle rilasciate prima del 2003 che hanno validità di 6 anni.
Annualmente va pagata la tassa regionale (salvo le regioni esenti), la tassa ha scadenza annuale comunque alla corrispondente data di rilascio.

Provincia di Trento zone

non sono previste zone particolari di pesca in apnea, si può pescare ovunque salvo le zone di tutela, ripopolamento, portuali, balneari.

E' vietata la navigazione a motore, quindi è vietato l'uso del gommone.

[/B]

fishing and spearfishing in rivers and lakes in italy is submitted to a national licence (10 years) and an annual fee (it should be around 30 euro).

you will surely get every detailed information contacting the province of bolzano/bozen in suedtirol. everyone speaks german, as you probably know. you can either phone or email (search for "provincia autonoma di bolzano" then you will surely have the site also in german and look for the fishing and haunting department or something like that).

bolzano has no lakes to spearfish but you will surely get the most infos about the licence to get for spearfishing in the garda, como and iseo lakes.

as for the part to translate regarding trento/trient, it says that spearfishing is allowed anywhere in the part of the lake of garda which is in the territory of the trento province, except, obviously of ports, swimming areas etc
outboards are forbidden, so only spearfihing from the shore.

you can also try to get in touch with the province of trento ("provincia autonoma di trento"). many people does speak german but not everyone like in bolzano.

this is as a general rule.

as for local regulations for como and iseo, you should apply to the local websites, either with the keywords "lago di como" and "lago d'iseo" or directly to the "provincia di ......." and add "como etc...."; look on the map to see which are the provinces involved in those terrotiories.

in those cases, try with english or french, german will be hardly spoken there.

all the best

emidio

hallo Spear-Fin. Briefly: for spearfishing in subalpine italian lakes, the best is Garda, because in Como and Iseo it is legal only in a few areas and visibility is worse. When you get there, you must go to the Town Hall of the town where you're settling (ask for the Comune or Municipio) and ask for a touristic fishing license (costs a few bucks). They will also inform you about the areas where spearfishing is allowed, then you' ll start having fun: pikes, eels, tench, black bass, perch, trout, there's plenty.
some regulations:
-no scuba hunting
-no night hunting
-no lamp
-maximum 5kg fish per day + one single fish exceeding that limit (for instance, in a day, you may get a 7kg pike plus 4,99 kg of other mixed fish
-no spearing in ports, stay 500 meters away from beaches, avoid illegal areas (I'll add a link below)
-a buoy of float is compulsory
-no spearing fishes during the reproduction period of their species (I'll add a link below)
-no spearing undersized fish (I'll add a link below).
the links:
minimum size and reproduction periods:
http://www.pescare.com/Normative/Lombardia/Brescia/misuretempi.htm
areas allowed in the 3 lakes and various regulations
http://www.apneamagazine.com/articolo.php/1441
ciao. if you come, make me a whistle!

Dived in kerry in the weekend, visibility was 4-6m temps were 14-15 deg C and I think that a 3 mm bottom and 3/5mm top would be sufficient.
Only few fish around but the day was very bright and I have a feeling that it would have picked up had we stayed in longer.
After 8 months out of the water I had about 30 sec breathhold = noobie:(

Thank you all sooo much! I can't wait to spear my first Pike!! ;-) How cool would that be?
I'm planning to go this weekend (90%). Hey Spaghetti, are you around there? we could go together... maybe.

I'll let you know how it was...

Fin.

Spear-Fin said:
Thank you all sooo much! I can't wait to spear my first Pike!! ;-) How cool would that be?
I'm planning to go this weekend (90%). Hey Spaghetti, are you around there? we could go together... maybe.

I'll let you know how it was...

Fin.
No, I'll be home in Tuscany (hunting bluefish with my brother in law).
It's a pity, cause next week not only you but also another DB forum member will be on the lake. Did you choose a town or area in particular?

Pikes in this season are generally 12-15 meters deep, motionless on the bottom. The best weapon for them is a 90cm rubbergun, while for other fishes a 75cm is perfect. If you also have a short gun armed with trident, look for eels on the bottom: it's similar to hunting congers in the sea, but much easier. Check under the rocks and good luck. But also check "cracks" in the sand. If you see some strange "crack" in a sandy bottom, shoot with a trident in the middle of the crack: 50% of times you will spear an eel!

exactly after one year!

last year then I had to leave later and at the end I decided to go to finland

not for spearfishing or fishing but for the forests and I found it simply marvellous

I will surely go back again many times, much probably also this autumn

I just came back (the day before yesterday) from a week in kerry

everyone knows that ireland is rainy also in summer but this week was special

I counted the maximum time without rain, day and night: 9 minutes

heavy showers, hard sea

unfortunately I didn't have a single chance to enter into the water for all the time

it was possible only in the gulfs where the water was never moving but I went to ireland only for its fascinating and hard oceanic landscapes, therefore I didn't have the will to enter in a quite gulf

I drove a lot and say many wonderful places, even if I had to use my imagination to see how they would have been without rain and with a little of sun

I have found the situation I have imagined. very nice but the weather was really prohibitive

also local ones were everyone stopped, no fishers, no boats, nothing at all, everywhere, all dingle peninsula e ring of kerry

I found people very friendly

drive was really difficult even if I managed it very well and cause no problems to everyone, also passed some cars a few times and went to standard speeds

nothing to compare to italy. all drivers were extremely correct

on the other hand roads in italy are much better

I didn't go for spearfishing all the time

I just wanted to walk a lot on those beautiful landscapes, make many pics, then few diving, relax on the beacj, talk to people, maybe also go with a boat for a deep sea angling, whale watching, maybe also freshwater for salmon and trout, renting angling equipment

absolutely nothing of all this was possible due to the weather

I wanted to stay longer and wait as from today the situation was supposed to go better but I received a call and had to fly back as scheduled, unfortunately

unless all of this I have a good memory of the place and think I'll go back, even if not soon

next time the only solution possible is to go there when the weather is ok and to do this the vacation will be much expensive, as I will have to reserve everything the latest days and this cost much more

this is my report :friday

emidio

Spazio
glad you enjoyed the trip for whats its worth the weather has been crap even by our standards but it did improve somewhat today but the sea is still rough enough might calm down by sunday and if so i will be in but the vis will not be too good i'm guessing.

yes I know that it was hard also for you

good to know about the vis, because I had the feeling that the vis wasn't enough even if I succeded in enter into the water

so, knowing that maybe there was no vis easier it for me :t

anyhow, either a longer period (15 days) or reserving few days before departure so to have a certain warranty of acceptable weather

then it can happen anywhere

I remember years ago in september in sardinia

usually bad weather that comes from north-west last a cuclic 3 days

that year there had been 3 x 3 days one after another

so no possibility to enter for about 10 days...

it'll be next time. those places an people deserve a good and "deep" visit

all the best

emidio

Hi Emidio,
you have been really unluky because the weather around UK and Ireland this year is crap,but I'm very surprised about the sea in Ireland that is so choppy. I use to spearfishing around the south west of England and to tell you the truth even with this crap weather we can manage a very good days out with the viz about an average of 4-6 meters ok sometimes could be 2 mt but rarely maybe in the early season.Anyway I see that you like to travel so maybe next year is good to travel in Uk,I use to go out in Babbacombe,Portland ,Teignmouth.Never been in Cornwall but I will soon(it's a must here)and there are places like Doordle Door that you must visit first the website to see how nice they are.So have a look around and let me know if I'm right or not.Ne vale la pena.Ciao.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT