Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
Don't think it's gonna cut it. Not with 30bars of pressure coming at it. But I'm looking into vacuum impregnation. I actually have the gear needed for that. Alternatively, pushing the sealant into the pores with high pressure. Mulling it over right now.You could try coating them with paint from a spray can, just say two thin coats. Alternatively use a thin epoxy two-part type paint that cures rather than relies on solvent evaporation.
Ah, that's a good point, the force acting on a particular small area of paint may not be much as the pores are so tiny. But I just tried something else. Stay tunedI think you will find paint will seal it as each '"pore" represents the area exposed to the pressure, their cross-sections are miniscule. Collectively they are large, but that is not how the pressure differentials work.
Interesting and it makes sense. Just yesterday, in my research for this method I saw some guys impregnate a block of wood to be used for a mallet. They cut it in half after the process and described it to have a hard plastic feel. But then again, wood is much, much more porous than this material. I did wonder if it would be a process for wood guns, but if it makes it too heavy, then it wont work.A friend of mine had some timber handles that he had carefully carved treated with a resin impregnation process. It made them much stronger in the thinner cross-section trigger finger-guard area, but also very heavy as they turned into solid resin blocks with a timber matrix.
Try painting them as you have nothing to lose by doing so now, hopefully it will work. I remember watching a TV program where part of an experiment evaluating the Archimedes screw as a water lifter required a large water tank being built into the ground. The water in the tank leaked fairly rapidly into the surrounding soil and all seemed lost until an old timer said “throw a handful of fine sand into the tank”. Jaws dropped when after a minute or so the water level in the tank stabilized as the fine particles swept into the cracks and sealed the tank.Rescue Mission - Vacuum Impregnation Part 5, "Houston..."
So... Apollo actually didn't get fixed after all:-(
It looked great to start with but half a day under 22 bar was apparently too much for this nose cone and it has lost about 2 bar in these small leaks.
I was so happy yesterday when the testers held air an this morning when Apollo looked good, but now I am kinda back to being bummed out.
In the meantime, I have printed some more testers, really playing around with obscure settings in the slicing software and some of the testers are looking much less leaky which is kinda good news. I don't know if I can get to the "no leaks straight from the printer level" but it's worth at least getting as close as I can.
Also, there's always the high pressure impregnation method. Perhaps coupled with something like this:
I have two work trips coming up, so I wont get much more trouble shooting done for now. But I think it is OK to let this rest for now.
Just one more post on other stuff before I take a break from this project.
Will doTry painting them as you have nothing to lose by doing so now, hopefully it will work. I remember watching a TV program where part of an experiment evaluating the Archimedes screw as a water lifter required a large water tank being built into the ground. The water in the tank leaked fairly rapidly into the surrounding soil and all seemed lost until an old timer said “throw a handful of fine sand into the tank”. Jaws dropped when after a minute or so the water level in the tank stabilized as the fine particles swept into the cracks and sealed the tank.
When everything works you may consider having some injection molding dies made in China and start up a business.Meet The Humpback
Flying around China on different assignments these days, I found a bit of time to draw up a new nose cone:
It's a bit longer than the old one. It was either that or cutting down the barrel. While it does make the nose slightly heavier, at least, it also allows the fiber optic sight to grow a tad longer which should increase how much light it gathers and make the dot at the end of it brighter.
It has a bit of a funny hump where the pumping barrel ends.
I have a feature in mind I want to add to this nose cone, so once that's done, I'll start printing it - I guess in a week's time when I am back from the road.
That thought does pop up from time to time, but making 1-2 to prove the concept is where the real fun is. Anyways, there's a whole list of potential upgrades to the Mirage concept that I would want to incorporate before even feeling half good about having people spend their money on it. And then comes that whole question about whether you actually do want to become a manufacturer. You would have to take after sales services seriously, repairs, spare parts - all that stuff...When everything works you may consider having some injection molding dies made in China and start up a business.
I've considered exactly that for awhile. But mostly to have a bigger pressure difference between the pumping and shooting barrel.At some stage a 14 mm ID inner barrel may be worth evaluating in thin wall stainless steel for a gun of this type.