• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good Little Digital Cameras

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nikon P5000 and Fantasea housing with any substrobe and you have as compact as it gets for 10.1MP cameras! I think they have it just about figured out.

P5000 literature:
Nikon Imaging | COOLPIX P5000

Underwater housing: (only one available so far)
Fantasea Line - New Products

I have been waiting for this, but may hold out for more funds to go DSLR underwater (D80 or D200, remember NIKONOS started UW photography commercially), depends on several factors, but this P5000 option would be the path of least resistance.

I currently use a Nikon Coolpix 5600 in a Nikonos W3-CP3 housing, and a Sea & Sea YS-25 Auto strobe with Fiber Optic Synch, which can stop a ceiling fan crisply when the focus is good.

Major problem with all Point and Shoot cams, even P5000, and Canon's G7 is the Auto Focus takes longer than 2-3 seconds, and fish/children/birds/dogs/cats/beautiful women in bathingsuits with poor breath hold-(Im not complaining, just sometimes a fact), often dont stick around that long.

But Macro should be excellent! and above surface wideangle scenery should also be good, but is not anywhere close to a Full DSLR when it comes to resolving Chromatic Aberation, and Barreling/pincushion. the P5000 appears slightly less noisy at low light than Cannon's G7 because Nikon went for overall picture softness vs, clarity at the cost of noise. if you arent severely cropping low light images without strobe assist, this should be a negligible issue.

The only reason I am considering the P5000 is 10.1 MP for 380.00 and an underwater housing from Fantasea with an advertised Price : US$245.00
. so for close to 625+/- and you are underwater with a 10mp camera that will work with my current strobe setup and take care of most of my underwater image needs. any DSLR with 10 MP is going to run 3000.00+ with an underwater housing to take sub surface imagery, and needs a dedicated wideangle lense separate from a macro lense, plus a separate port for the different lense size.

Major Bummer is no TTL outlet on the P5000 case as far as is available in the Fantasea literature, unless they have omitted it foolishley. I cant upgrade to a TTL strobe and take advantage of better lighting, unless Fantasea designes otherwise, but at least the YS-25 Auto self adjusts for exposure fairly well even with the 5600 coolpix. I am also considering a second ys-25 synched with a second optic cable, and the P5000 case from Fantasea appears to have room on the flash housing, but anyone with an itchy shutter finger and a penchant for clarity and exposure will demand TTL strobe capacity. If they made a Dual TTL option of this housing, then it gets alot more attractive!!

if you insist on wideangle long distance images of large sealife, you really have no business with a camera of this size and capacity unless you are near the surface on a bright sunny day, because you need a better lense with a much improved focus length, and preferably, two TTL strobes for respectable deep water imagery.

I freedive, and appreciate a small setup, especially when diving below 40 ft to capture Christmass tree worms in Macro. I typically get three shots with flash before heading back up after 1.5 minutes. My hope is that the recharge rate for the flash on the P5000 is shorter, allowing more images per freedive.

The deepest I have been with my current setup is 61 feet, but I have spearfished to 75, unfortunately I need a red UW filter for anything deeper than 40ft without good sunlight. Usually I take images fairly shallow to maintain even lighting, and use the strobe to fill shadows.

what is your setup?? and why do you like it.
My main reason is Size. Smaller is better for freediving, or at least streamlined, I wouldnt complain if the housings were made streamlined, like Hugyfot. but what about a hydrodynamic specific DSLR housing shaped like a torpedo that has little drag for freedivers!!! If you are going to dream, dream big! I understand that Divers dont think much about Streamlining, unless you are as obsessed as a freediver, but they also would benefit from a streamlined camera housing.

also, call me crazy or fanatical, but I am currently working on mounting my Strobe tray to the underside of my gun butt, so that the camera can be held reverse style above the gun facing foreward in its own tray by screwing the strobe arm to the gun, while making it able to be moved out of the way to load the gun. I am going for short vid clips of spearfishing with the same camera using the TV Vid mode. some would call that sick, but I want images of the ones that get away, or I choose not to kill, preferably the latter. I prefer not to shoot a species the first time I encounter them whatever they are. Additionally the first fish I see in the morning lives on thanks to me also, it is a Karma concept that I have worked out with myself.

anyway, good luck with your camera dilemmas, we have much in common here. I will throw up a few sample shots from the 5600 Coolpix that I have managed with the Sub strobe.

Great photos as usually, Garett! I added your website to the Media Base. There are also other sites of great underwater freediving photographers listed there: http://apnea.cz/photographer

Also other DB members are welcome to add their personal freediving photo galleries, or websites. If you know about other websites (or media) that are not yet listed, and are related to freediving, do not hesitate to add them. I believe that the Media Base is a good tool for promoting your website. Apnea.cz, although quite young, already has Google Page Rank #3, and so sites that are linked there will not only profit from the exposure on the apnea.cz pages, but also improve their ranking in Google. Reverse links to apnea.cz are of course welcome, but in no way an obligation or a condition for the listing.

Hi Feargus, if/when you get F30, let me know what you think.Will there be much difference between it and the more expensive canon-olympus-nikon etc. that people are talking about on this thread? What do you think? Also,what is face recognition? Does this mean the camera spots a face and adjusts the focus to this? tbgsub mentions 2 to 3 seconds focus time for most point and shoots.Do you know what it is for f30?

HI all - I just added an Inon Wide-angle lense to my setup. (Canon S80 - wpdc1 housing) Pics in the last few rows of my site are all with it

HI Sunfish, dont know what the lag time is on the f30 but I have heard good reports of it but it comes down to what you want to do with it. I am a point and shoot and hope it comes out I dont want any adjustment at present. if you are into photography in a bigger way you may want more adjustment to get a particular type of shot or if you want to shoot certain photos like wide angle or macro ( close up) you may need different lenses for this. The f30 will not do any of this but I think it will be a good camera for me and what i intend to try I will proabbaly get the f30 and I dont think the f31 will make much difference underwater with face recognition.

Two things your really want to look at with these little cameras are low-light performance and focus speed. Megapixels are a big selling point but they are not as important as the size of the CCD (bigger is better) - this is one reason why a 4 mp SLR can take better pictures than a 10 mp point and shoot. The first camera I used - for the first half of my site -was a 5 mp casio. It had blazingly quick focus - faster than my S80.

Here's an interesting article on the hype and reality of compact camera's results at high ISO settings (for low light situations). It gives some basic recomendations and you can see the actual size of the different sensors used in various cameras.

Compact Camera High ISO Modes: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I use a C 5050 Oly camera and the shutter lag is so great that after pressing the shutter button, I can get out of the water, go have a pizza, resuit up and get back to the camera in time for the shutter to actually go off. Under water shutter lag is a waste of time. If I see a fish in motion I have to aim a foot or two ahead to where I think it will be! Sure, I'm exaggerating, but not so much...:) I've thought of getting another compact for UW photography, but I'm saving for a housing for my DSLR and it's 7-14 mm wide angle lens.

However, if there is a good high ISO performing compact with virtually no shutter lag it would make a great second camera for hanging on the belt or for those occasions one doesn't wantto lug a large bulky setup around. That's why I don't have a housing for my Hasselblad, it's not the cost, oh no...

Last edited:
Hi Sunfish, thats the best price I have seen for it so far in Uk/Ireland I asked in a few local camers shops the camera was E225 with a 1gb card the package from underwater cameras is with a 512mb card but when i asked about a u/w casing they laughed and said they were awful expensive and it would take a few weeks to get a price so ? I would have liked to buy local even if it were a few euro more but there you go. I also tried getting prices from dixons on the camera apx E205 plus postage but the casing was about E230 so not much in it and factor in two deliverys etc I reckon the package is easier. Hows the vis in the peoples republic? U/W cameras are out of stock of the f30 and f31 at present ( which i hope is a good sign) and expect it back in a few days or 2 weeks. I rang them up about it. Incidently if you can prove its for business use you might be able to put it through the business and they will send it out as an export sale no vat save 17.5%

Last edited:
On the worst days I had this past winter I had to go to ISO100. Sometimes I also set the shutter at 1/80 and just lighten the shot up a little in photoshop. Most of the year here it is not much of a problem because the bottom sand is so reflective. I know what you mean about focus lag! It's not bad on the canon - but the casio was nearly instant.

Thanks to everyone for the usefull information on this thread.The article on Adrians link makes the F30 look good.I'm now going to try and find out about focus lag.
Feargus,vis 10ft or so.Sandeels pollack and bass all here.March saw lots of big mullet.

Couple of new pictures from Irish Sea.

Attachments

• sea bass underwater ireland.jpg
    sea bass underwater ireland.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 192
  • seabass ireland dublin.jpg
    seabass ireland dublin.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 185
  • sea-bass ireland underwater.jpg
    sea-bass ireland underwater.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 191
  • seabass underwater ireland snorkeilng.jpg
    seabass underwater ireland snorkeilng.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0947-4.jpg
    IMG_0947-4.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Chers garett nice pics as usual,
Sunfish they have the f31 back in stock in underwater cameras but are not getting the f30back again Should have it in a few days and will let you know the crack with it hopefully i might have it before the weekend.

I see i'm not the only one struggeling with this decision!
I'm looking for a digital camera for underwater use as well.

What i want:
-wide angle lens (28mm would be great, I hate the 38mm keyhole peeping)
-small camera (really compact, preferably no protruding lens)
-small underwater housing (at least 30 meters waterproof)
-best picture quality (also in dim light, so higher iso. I rather see a bit of noise than blurryness from heavy noise reduction)
-good macro mode (and flash usable without lens shadow)
-minimal focus/shutter lag (I'm used to the analogue instantaneous click)
-big enough screen to see settings (macro, flash) underwater
-long battery life (at least 2 hrs constant on)
-as simple, robust and cheap as possible

I don't care too much for zoom, or number of megapixels (anything from 5 mp up is ok for me).
I love matt black cameras, I don't like fancy colours or shiny stuff.

Does my dream camera exist?

Possible candidates (and main problem):
-sigma dp1 (not available yet, no underwater housing)
-ricoh gr-d (no underwater housing)
-ricoh gx-100 (no underwater housing)

less attractive candidates:
-ricoh caplio r-6 (no underwater housing, picture quality?)
-fuji fd-31fd (36mm, so no wide angle)
-sony t-100 (35mm, so no wide angle)
-panasonic lx1 / tz3 (blurry at higher iso)
-canon s-80 (bit bulky, shutter lag 0,6 sec at 'high speed')
-canon ixus 850is / powershot sd800is (too blurry at higher iso)

But these problems are not from personal experience, only from what I found on the internet.
Perhaps you've got a different experience; please let me know!

Job

Four of us (Tylerz, Unirdna, Laminar and me) use the S80. I have the inon wide-angle kit for it - which is very nice. focus speed is an issue with all the point and shoot cameras for sure. The quickest I've used were little 5 mp casios - image quality is not as good though - first part of my site is with a casio exz57 - latter part S80. I have not noticed significant shutter lag - just slow focus.

pics are on my site below.

I agree with Fondueset, the s80 is a great point and shoot alternative with really good picture quality and all the manual controls you could ever wish for. In the housing it is only marginally larger than all those smaller cameras... For underwater stuff I always end up shooting on continuous mode. This has given me the best results so far.

Veel success met je speurtocht naar een nieuwe camera.

Gerald

Sunfish the f31 landed to me so hope to get out with it at the weekend. I brought the casing on its own in to the sea last night and had no bubbles so its safe now to put the camera inside now. Of course with the casing I also came across the biggest dogfish I have seen in a while but he wasn't there when I put the camera in. Will post some pics soon but the vis was crap last night.

Feargus, my camera arrived on Wednesday evening but we have the same problems here with vis.I went diving yesterday evening, but didn't bother taking camera as I knew it would be cloudy with some surge.I probably won't take it tomorrow either.The case should be fine.I haven't tested mine yet, but I won't be taking it much below 20 metres anyway and its capable of twice that, so long as the seals are sound and straight.
To Job.Romijn, F31 casing takes inon lens mount for wide angle etc.

Some pics so far on standard underwater mode.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT