• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good Little Digital Cameras

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Great thread, have only just found it and not the time to read each post, although I searched what i could find about the Olympus 770 as had been keen to buy one.

I find water housings for the array of cameras bulky and heavy so the choice of waterproof cameras 3M and 10M are attractive.

I really want something for in the Surf (hence the need for small as I don't want to miss out on a surf session myself), so need to strap it or tuck it away. I woud also like to use it whilst sea kayaking and also to take it spear fishing occasionally, maybe attatching it to my bouy.

What problems exactly are people having with the 720? How have people found the customer service from Olympus.

Anyone know what is on the horizon re. new models. Anything worthy of waiting for from olympus or others?

thanks ;>)

Look into Digital Pro Hero3 wrist camera...bunch of Youtube videos show excellent video quality, especially for extreme sports (surfing, diving, etc)

Great thread, have only just found it and not the time to read each post, although I searched what i could find about the Olympus 770 as had been keen to buy one.

I find water housings for the array of cameras bulky and heavy so the choice of waterproof cameras 3M and 10M are attractive.

I really want something for in the Surf (hence the need for small as I don't want to miss out on a surf session myself), so need to strap it or tuck it away. I woud also like to use it whilst sea kayaking and also to take it spear fishing occasionally, maybe attatching it to my bouy.

What problems exactly are people having with the 720? How have people found the customer service from Olympus.

Anyone know what is on the horizon re. new models. Anything worthy of waiting for from olympus or others?

thanks ;>)

surf cam = Small Digital cam (5-12 mp these days with 1-4gb SD or suitable memory card for continued shooting + video clips) + housing + wide angle lens for following the action and catching it all no matter how close you get! so get close. -no strobe needed unless shooting dusk or in near sunset, in which case the cheapest fiberoptic synch substrobe you can get will do for subjects 10-30ft away, any further and you will need more light power = expensive pro-strobe. dont try to use the slave strobe without a fiber synch cord, or you can easily loose half of your shots due to missfire.

hi I dive and sail with my pentax w30 and it works great carry it in a pouch on my belt ready to go just dive off the boat a shootgood to 3m i think it was I rarely dive deeper than that and if I do just leeve it on the boat or flat mine has taken a few drops sliped on rocks coming out from a shore dive and no problem whatsoever.

awesome..i was really behind the underwater photography...i really liked it very much...

I just saw a report on TV about a micro-digital camera integrated into a diving mask. The camera is actually in the top part of the mask (above your eyebrows) within its own waterproof compartment, and doesnt reduce your visual field, according to the report on CNN headline news. The camera is waterproof to 200 feet, and it was shown during a electronic gadget show in Las Vegas. They didn't say (or maybe I miss it) the name of the manufacturer.
(Now, it they can make it to operate hands-free, maybe blinking just one of my eyes, that would be perfect!).

Last edited:
Underwater Digital Camera Mask

Ok, I found it. Its a Fiji, 5 megapixels, and it is basically hands free, except for the need to press the tiny shutter. They are showing it in the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Vegas, and you will be able to get it for only $99.00. Sweet.

It looks like it only good up to 5ft. Good concept though. Does it come in black? :)

The specs dont mention any depth limit, but the girl that was doing the report in CNN said it was good to 200 feet. The 5 feet mentioned in the specs is the recommended distance from the camera to the object (or subject?) to be photographed. The only question for me is the quality of the mask itself. If it leaks or otherwise doesn't adjust well to my face, forget it. But if it is matched to a good quality mask, then it is a bargain.

ok i will check it..

Thanks Roni..i will check the underwater photography in You tube..but is that clear..because the picture like this should have to be very clear...

Also is there a time limit for how long it can be underwater, as I mentioned before I think on this thread, this is not made obvious in the specs of the Pentax and Olympus waterproof cameras such as the Optio WP. These were I think only good for 30 mins. or 1 hour. Hopefully being a mask it will have better specs?:)

(p.s. I also wondered if it cam in other than bright yellow, being from the underwater hunting camo'd fraternity!

This camera looks interesting too. Maybe not as performant and sophisticated as others, but very small and fixed on your wrist. Waterproof to -30m, and you can find it on the web for slightly above $100:

digher_alt1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
I like this one. It is the most practical I've seen so far. And the manufacturer/vendor is in California, so no problem for ordering here. Three megapixels is plenty, IMO. The price is reasonable, also. Thanks.

Yes I like the look & idea of that camera too, I will have to look into it a bit more.

I just ordered one, so hopefully I'll be able to post a review and some photos or videos soon. I ordered it directly at the manufacturer. It was little bit more expensive than some offers on eBay or elsewhere on the net ($139.99 ~ 94€), but I prefer supporting the manufacturer directly, than a reseller.

That wrist mount above did the rounds with the kiteboarders a while back. It was so you could take pics of yourself being a "hero" .I think it was for bungee jumpers/skydivers etc also. I never saw any results but for the price....

I have been using a canon ixus 7mp for the past 3 years with 40 m housing for all my pics. I think it does a good job. Any pics I have put on the forum were taken with it. The housing and camera are very well built.

My friend has the Sony equivalent and I can say the same of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT