• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good Little Digital Cameras

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
This inon wide-angle conversion lense will be attached to the wet side of the underwater housing?
So that would convert the f31 into wide-angle for underwater shots.

Would it also work above water (without the housing)?
Cause I want to use the camera there too!

It would make the camera a bit bulky though, so i think the best option for me would be a camera with built-in wide angle lens.
I'd like the smallest, most robust package possible!

Thanks for the suggestion though. Do you have any experience with the inon set-up?

Job

Job, I have not used the inon kit, but I believe as you say, it fits to the outside of the underwater case.
Feargus, nice photos.I still haven't tried f31 under water yet but it works well and is simple to use on land.I'm going diving tomorrow but its a bit rough here at the moment and I'd rather try the camera in good conditions.
How do I reduce the image size of my pictures to 1,024 by 1,024 so I can post them?Can you explain please or direct me to some instructions.

Sunfish,had the same trouble if you select the pic and right click, scroll down to batch process and select resize image then just type in the width and it will adjust the height itself it will ask if you want to resize the original i think or resize a copy. you should be able to upload it then

Sometimes it helps just to wait a little before you buy:
Sea&sea announced a new camera with underwaterhousing, the dx-1g.

The good news for me is that this dx-1g appeers to be a rebranded ricoh gx-100, and that is one of my prime candidate camera's!

So now I have to wait a little more, to see if the two camera's are indeed identical. And then decide to by the Sea&sea combination, or the ricoh camera with a sea&sea housing.

Job

links:

Adorama News Desk: Sea & Sea, Ricoh Cams Separated At Birth?

Sea & Sea DX-1G - digideep.com :: list of all underwater housings suitable for digital photography and videography...

Underwater Housing - SEA 1G ?!? : Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

GX-100 goes underwater !: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I currently use a 5MP point and shoot for freedive only photography.
a Nikon 5600 point and shoot. I will post pics soon, you may be impressed that they came from such a tiny little point and shoot, or that there is actually detail!! check them out, sure someof the shots SUCK, but others are fairly nice. link: MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/s_mclaren

some Caveats;
The coolpix 5600 takes a second and a half to focus, sometimes longer, but I now use a focus light with a diffuser, which is a UK-4 c cell flashlight with a diffuser on one sea and sea arm with a ys-25 auto strobe on the other arm.
It also takes 12 seconds to cycle the flash for another strobe shot.
However it takes great macro images that can easily be shared online, and printed in high resolution on 8x5 paper. sure it focuses slow as a slug, that is why we hold our breath and fanatically increase breath hold right, for an excuse to be down longer!! what better excuse than a slow camera!!! or slow fish in front of a speargun. I am always going for that third and fourth shot at a minute Twenty before heading up with the 5600, I am sure I will get an extra shot with a P5000!!

my needs: (may completely differ from yours, especially if you are a bubble blower with a coke dispenser on your back, and a BCD bladder slung over your shoulders! I say bring the kichen sink with you diving if it makes you feel safe and sound, you are just going to look like a gear head! and swim like a fish that is hydro dynamically challenged)

back to my needs:

I wish to be able to enjoy Cropping macro images with high detail preserved!!!!
I would like as small a camera as possible for freediving due to streamlining which is the purpose of Deeper blue I believe, for free divers.(please correct me if I am miss understood and if there are more bubble blowers in here than breath holders)
A DSLR is WAY too large and too bulky unless it is in a streamlined Hugyfot housing, and at least a D200 or similar Cannon with high ISO sensitivity and a wide angle lens and iTTL strobe setup! (not in my price option, although I wish it were.)
A wide angle lens accessory is nice but not necessary.
iTTl flash metering is a great plus, but manageable without it.

as for resolution, consider this. I am going from a camera that is like looking at the world through a frosted shower door trying to interpret shadows, to a camera that looks at the world with a freshly cleaned window and seeing stems on the leaves of the trees outside.

10mp is better than 5mp correct? regardless of the image sensor size, it is an order of magnitude better resolution. sure we can argue image sensor size and optics, but that is still better than the human eye which equates to roughly 3000 light nerves (rods and cones) per square inch in the center of the image that is projected through the Retina.

if I wanted better images in a reasonable form factor, I wouldn't get a DSLR, I would get a Nikonos V as religiously used by the freediving Oceanic Dreams website, and forget the digital revolution all together, as the sensitivity and size of a silver atom is far superior to any digital camera to date!!! But digital is far too convenient in the editing department.

so, from a freedive only perspective, you might realistically look into a point and shoot option that has a reasonable resolution for cropping without losing detail.

A cannon G7, or a Nikon P5000 would just about be the limit of technology currently for those freedive specific requirements of size and streamlining.

of course if you start talking Video, then you just open a whole new box of Pandora's bad mamma jamma that I am not prepared to speculate on!

keep fishing and freediving, and stay away from 20ft Tiger sharks.

SMC freediving and spearfishing in the CNMI Islands for two more years!!!

Hi to all. Some new pictures from South-West of Ireland. Also have a new video ("Composed video from trip to the South-West in August 2007"), it's on my site Welcome to Underwater World of Ireland on the video page. Be patient, files are big enough. Let them download to your browser. I hope you'll enjoy.

Attachments

• ---IMG_0023-3.jpg
    ---IMG_0023-3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 188
  • ---IMG_0220.jpg
    ---IMG_0220.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 210
  • ---IMG_0376.jpg
    ---IMG_0376.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 190
  • ---IMG_0065.jpg
    ---IMG_0065.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 6---IMG_0052.jpg
    6---IMG_0052.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 192
Has anyone had any experience with the Olympus 770 SW? It is supposed to be good down to 33 feet without a case, and can be dropped on the pavement from 5 feet.

A friend brought on my boat, and it sure seemed appealing to avoid messing with a case

If this camera has already been discussed, please forgive the repetition, but I just discovered this thread, and in a quick read through it I didn't find any mention.

great shots garrett really enjoyed the video too. I have never seen a pile of triggers like that. well done.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience with the Olympus 770 SW? It is supposed to be good down to 33 feet without a case, and can be dropped on the pavement from 5 feet.

A friend brought on my boat, and it sure seemed appealing to avoid messing with a case

If this camera has already been discussed, please forgive the repetition, but I just discovered this thread, and in a quick read through it I didn't find any mention.

Hi Bill
It's been discussed a bit on the Guernsey 2007 thread, but my son has got one, and has had no problems. However, Andy R has had a problem with his ( used for more extended periods underwater perhaps?) so perhaps you want to PM him. One thing which is not immediately obvious, is that although it's waterproof down to 10m, it's only guaranteed for immersion up to 1 hour at a time. Could be a problem unless you use a float! This may only be a safety margin though, and I'm not saying that's what Andy's problem was.

I also have a Pentax Optio WP, now replaced by a better model, and you can see some results on the Guernsey thread. The Olympus seems a better bet now for the same price though ( subject to possible problems!)

Let me know if you need more info ( and where to buy if in the UK)

Cheers

My bet with the Pentax Optio WP is that it was tested for immersion commercially at 5ft for 30 minutes, which even for Snorkelling is not practical, and you better keep an eye on the housing for water infiltration. Ooh yeah there is no housing, guess this camera will have to pour back soaked into Pentax headquarters from frustrated snorkellers/freedivers/divers.

this camera is primarily a heavy splash resistant camera. You can drop it in water and still have a working camera, and may get away with a few shots a few feet under water, but dont dive with it. maby someone will take pity and make a full housing for this camera.

good luck.

TBGSUB.

You're probably right, though I did take mine on a couple of spearfishing dives ( 2hrs plus) snorkelling before I found out about the limit. I now attach it to my float in its neoprene case and just use it underwater for short periods. Sample attached ( though not very interesting, fish-wise).

I don't think there would be much point having a full housing - I would rather have a better camera for which you could get a housing, as the quality's not great for video, not bad for stills though. ( I'm working on an attachment to my speargun, as it's difficult using one hand!)

[ame="http://blip.tv/file/449273"]Snorkelling Guernsey 2@@AMEPARAM@@player.setPostsId(454518);player.setUsersId(109611);player.setUsersLogin("Rincewind")@@AMEPARAM@@454518@@AMEPARAM@@Rincewind[/ame]

Attachments

• underwater.JPG
    underwater.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 186
I already posted about my camera when I got it, a Panasonic Lumix FX07, being extremely happy with it over water.
Now, for a recent trip to dahab, I got an underwater housing for it and have to say that I just love it. Sample pictures are here: Picasa Web Albums - Richard - Dahab '07 - remember that there has been quality loss by size reduction.

I already posted about my camera when I got it, a Panasonic Lumix FX07, being extremely happy with it over water.
Now, for a recent trip to dahab, I got an underwater housing for it and have to say that I just love it. Sample pictures are here: Picasa Web Albums - Richard - Dahab '07 - remember that there has been quality loss by size reduction.

those are amazing pictures! it makes me wish i had money to buy a waterproof camera....

Great Pictures, Richard!
I think I am going to try to Olympus 770 SW.
One question, though: why is it that nobody seems to be using the Nikonos any more?. Some can still be find at good prices in Ebay.

Great Pictures, Richard!
I think I am going to try to Olympus 770 SW.
One question, though: why is it that nobody seems to be using the Nikonos any more?. Some can still be find at good prices in Ebay.

Because Nikonos can take 35 shoots until film is full, and digital can take hundreds + video.

Of Course. Silly me. However, for the price (You can get a nice Nikonos V for maybe $200), and the convenience, it could still be a good alternative for anybody (like me?) that doesn't shoot that many pictures per day. What I like of the Nikonos is the fact that you dont have to deal with a housing. And it produces good quality pics too.

Well, I've only just discovered that they (Olympus 770) have a time limit in the water. That explains my troubles neatly. Bugger. I hope I can still claim on warranty.

Reactions: Pav
I think it's not made very clear in their literature - even the person in the shop when I bought my son's didn't know. It was the same with my old Pentax Optio WP, which is only guaranteed for 30 mins. underwater.

However, I don't know how they'd prove you had it underwater for longer, ( unless they read this!:)) and it may not be the reason for it going wrong.

You could ask Andy R ( see Guernsey 2007 thread) as he's also had problems, and is waiting for a replacement.

p.s. see also my solution for attaching this sort of camera to a gun: http://forums.deeperblue.net/trip-reports/69083-guernsey-2007-a-132.html

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT