• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gower 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mr brown

Mar 6, 2007
Hello all,

New to the world of spearo just bought the beginners pack from Dave (highly recommended) and am planning on posting regular updates from this part. I know the gower is supposed to have poor vis but last summer I spent a great deal of time snorkelling some of my favourite spots and expierennced vis of 10m+. Some of the locals believed it to be a one off but we will see! Plenty of bass, pollack etc seen at these reef marks and I have caught plenty of bass plugging and spinning over the years. So here's hoping!!

Matthew

Reactions: Pastor
Hey there mate. Good luck on your escapades, hope to hear something from there soon then :)

Welcome. There are a few Welsh spearos lurking, not sure if they are in your immediate area.

Hey man,

I do a lot of spearing on the west coast around Cardigan but now live in Cardiff so a few trips to the gower will defo be on the cards this year!! Would be cool to go for a dive if you fancy it? I also have a kayak that I dive off and its great to get to those spots a little further away.
If you need any advice on hunting styles for wales then just drop me a pm and would be glad to help.
Cool to have another Welsh spearo!!!:friday

Have fun

Dave

Cheers Dave, will definatley call upon your expierence. Any info on techniques etc will be very gratefully recieved. Will have to get a trip down the gower arranged (am a teacher so school hols are best!!). Been looking at cobra kayaks and am very interested in getting one. Would you recommend a kayak for a spearo?
Have not sussed out the way to PM yet!!
Cheers

Matthew

Hey man,

I do a lot of spearing on the west coast around Cardigan but now live in Cardiff so a few trips to the gower will defo be on the cards this year!! Would be cool to go for a dive if you fancy it? I also have a kayak that I dive off and its great to get to those spots a little further away.
If you need any advice on hunting styles for wales then just drop me a pm and would be glad to help.
Cool to have another Welsh spearo!!!:friday

Have fun

Dave

Dave,

In cardiff also, again pm if want to meet up. Trying this weekend

Rob

I use a Ocean Kayak prowler 13 and have had no probs with it at all.
Will probebly try and get down after work once it stays lighter for longer, can be on the Gower in an hr! Most of my diving is Aspetto which is diving down to the bottom and settle my self in the kelp with no movements, if the bass are about they will be round you in 30-40 sec at most. You can also look for bass at low water under the kelp and in gullies where they rest up.

Will be having my first spearing trip next week up in North Wales. will let you know if they are in yet!!!

Would be great to meet up with both of you for a dive,
Rob, am freediving in Chepstow this weekend but will defo get in the water next week as have a few days off either side of the bank holidays. Do you think the Bass will be in yet? What area were you thinking of trying?
Would be out this weekend as well if I hadnt had my 90cm imersion stolen from my house last week:rcard
All my other guns are up in Wrexham so will have to wait till Thursday!!

Let us know how you get on.

Dave

Dave,

Ther's 2 of us who spear from Cardiff, mostly down west wales...further than gower. Bass aren't in yet.....should know more this weekend.

Intersting...free diving in Chepstow....where abouts and with what club ???
Is it with Sam ??

That's how I got into spearo. Learnt in France 10 years ago....still going strong.

Rob

I will be diving with Salt Free, most of my freediving is done in Dorethea quarry in North Wales, but its a bit closer to get to Chepstow!! Its in the NDC (called something different now) just outside Chepstow, its 75m+ deep.

Vobster Quay or something like that isn't it Dave?

Hey Matt welcome! I'm up in the north of Cymru. Word of advice with that new gun, don't dive with Dave, with him being down a Bass slayer he'll be after a suitable replacement rofl Seriously, try and hook up with him, he is a first class dude and a good example to follow.

If you ever find yourself up in the north give us a call, your welcome to come out with us

Been looking at cobra kayaks and am very interested in getting one. Would you recommend a kayak for a spearo?
Have not sussed out the way to PM yet!!
Hi Mathew, sit-on kayaks are great fun & are quite compatible with spearing -- the Devon spearos seem to be particularly into this and helped me get set up. Cobras are real nice too, I heard the UK importer who was in Salisbury sold up to somebody in S. Wales -- perhaps in your area?

If you are new to spearing, it is probably prudent to keep the two pursuits separate at first -- less to deal with as you learn the ropes & gear. I bought a kayak (Ocean Kayak Malibu 2) planning to spear from it, so far we have used it for recreation and fishing with a hand-line (quite effective). Although I have equipped it with an anchor (you might want to check out the kayak rigging for spearfishing thread), my first spearing forays with will likely involve kayaking the gear to a more remote location (several spring to mind), beaching the boat well up the beach with anchor planted (the tide can come fast) and diving from the shore.

Please post reports - I spent much time on Gower climbing years ago, there are some really beautiful spots...which we often had to ourselves. It would be good to go back. There were a couple of spots that used to have loads of mussels -- although last time I visited one, they very small (wrong time of year perhaps?) -- which would probably be good for spearing too, as long as the water offers some visibility.

Hi Guys

I too am new to this, so new in fact that am hoping to get in the water with my kit for the first time this coming weekend, is it too early?

Would love to hook up with those of you in the Gower area, as I live in town and spend most of my life surfing the Gower.

Starting to get excited and a bit nervous about getting in now, haven't tried the weight belt yet will I sink like a brick or what? The gun seems unbelieveably hard to load on land with dry hands how hard is it going to be in the water??? (I'm no 6stone weakling either!) Will my fins fall off? Should I take my knife? Questions questions all to be answered soon!!

I will be staying down Pembrokshire in my van with wife and son and hopefully exploring that area underwater. There is a flat spell descending so should be a chance of some visibility by the weekend.

Well i dont know about your area of diving but lots of spearo are beginning to catch fish mainly mullet down this way.
As for your weight belt you should be fine as long as you are not over weighted, you should be neutrally buoyant at 10 meters and should not sink on the surface if you do you are overweight.
Remember you got to relax in the water to be able to hold your breath.
And yes do take a knife you could get caught in old fishing line or a lost gill net.
You shouldn't really be loading you gun out of water, i will try to find the link that shows how to load a spear gun.
Good luck
cant find the video only this pic, i dont load my gun like this i place the loading butt on the buckle of my belt then grab the rubbers and pull them back until the wishbone locks in place.

Last edited:
Hi,
I would defo take your knife in, never dive without one. As far as weight goes, how much do you have on the belt? how thick is your suit and do you have any extra bouyancy like a few of us on this forum have!!!!! I find it much easyer to load the gun in the water than on dry land but again it is just practice. with the weights, just take some off and try it as you can always just go back to the car and pick another one up.
Enjoy the weekend i will be in a few tmes as well!

Dave

You shouldn't really be loading you gun out of water, i will try to find the link that shows how to load a spear gun.
Good luck
cant find the video only this pic, i dont load my gun like this i place the loading butt on the buckle of my belt then grab the rubbers and pull them back until the wishbone locks in place.

Cheers Spearheads

Only tried to load it once, I know about the dangers but I'm a bloke with a 11 year old kid trapped inside!! Thanks forth ediagram tho, that will help.

As for the weights my belt has 18lb on it, I'm 13.5stone and will be using my top of the range surf wetty 5/3mm (pretty buoyant) so it should be fine, but will take it easy first time out.

Can't wait!! Cheers for the advice.

You may find that you need a little less weight than that but it won't be to bad! I use 21lb with a 6.5mm top and 5mm bottoms, but some people like to be nailed to the bottom so have more on their belt.

enjoy.

Cheers tecdave

Will def take the knife too as the idea of getting caught in a net has without doubt answered that question!!!

I only use 7kgs on the belt then 400 grams on the ankles.
But i like hunting deep so less wight is needed.:)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT