• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Magpie

Apprentice old git
Supporter
Jan 11, 2006
New Year, new thread. Hopefully more diving this year!

Anyway, something of interest to all local spearo's.

A group was set up on Facebook recently attempting to get Sea Fisheries to put better restrictions on inshore netting around our Island. Link here though you probably have to join it before you can see the contents:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/309325639207168/

It's mainly populated by anglers but the more people from different areas that have an input the better. I know that spearo's would be welcome in this as we're all on the same side.

They've managed to get Sea Fisheries to agree to have a meeting to discuss netting and it would be good if some experienced spearfishers could go along to put our side of things.

The meeting is on the 9th Jan at 7.15 and further details are in the group above. You will need to be a member and let them know you want to go along. It is a private meeting, no commercials trying to stir things up.

Someone was keen today, in the water at the northern end of Vazon at low tide, probably trying out some new gear from Santa.

I don't think so, was sticking to about chest deep over the sand.

You don't often get surf like these blown out waves in Pembroke but if you are brave enough you can surf them (my mate Steve not me)

Attachments

• surf.jpg
    surf.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 191
  • surf 2.jpg
    surf 2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 195
What about this pic....?

Attachments

• big wave.jpg
    big wave.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 188
looks like good surf there at pembroke. i surfed there years ago - it was minus something and just a big dumping swell on a day when the rest of the coast was just plain scary :)

so what are peoples years resolutions or fishing plans? anyone got and goals?

i'm hoping to do more dives off the boat and look for more different species...

quiet here...
got in yesterday, vis was as expected - ok on the very bottom but soup above. couldnt see the surface from about 5m down! no silhouettes, no fish, but nice to take a dip.

Reactions: jerseymike
Yes very quiet!
Anyway I have been asked by a representative of an active group that are trying to encourage the sea fisheries to look into the present inshore netting regulations (stop beer money gill netters).
They would like a shore diver to attend their next meeting, would any one be prepared to put forward a divers prospective?

Anyone watch the Sark program tonight ... I am always thinking about selling up & moving there...

I watched it mate......i noticed the grave digger looked quite full and persil was missing ......

we live on an island surrounded by lovely islands

Fear not mate, Persil was in the first episode of the series. I see one of them is off Ormering next episode.

Massive Turbot and Chancre Crab were washed up in storm force Guernsey winds last night. Fishermen, Les Banks and ex sailor Admiral Parks were delighted with the haul. Dylan C. Laine looks on in the background hoping for a Sea Bass or something.
washed up.jpg

It was nice to see the dolphin returned safely - an ironic contrast to what the Japanese would have done! Perhaps we should have taken it to the aquarium...?

That anglerfish is almost as big as those flares!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT