• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
yes Tom, vis was poor, but nice to get in. i was hoping to find some treasure uncovered from the eroded sand :) , but just found an old clay bowl of some sort. couldnt get it out so have some transits to go back to next time. i also found a metal 'door' or box lid about 3ft long, needs more investigating in better vis...
looks like you did well - i spotted your kayak on the roof of the van earlier.

By it's position and construction, I would guess that it was built for gathering vraic, from when it was gathered commercially.

Reactions: Jonny250
Big catch Tom!
To busy to go myself :( but at least I don't have to spend the next three hours cleaning the things!

Reactions: denian
Jonny I think it might of had something to do with the quarrying days, but most of that area was owned by Admiral De Saunarez so it could have something to do with his little empire?
The whole area just the other side of the road was a huge punting lake & canal system where his family & friend would spend summer days. His big property on the headland was connected to his manor house in Saumarez park but he did not own the main Cartieret road, hence the bridge that crosses it.

Reactions: Jonny250
Nice catch TJ, loads of ormers around, Went looking for something a little pinchier on Saturday and got a shock I blanked at my favorite spot, and to make matters worse it turns out I got schooled by this proper old guern in his late 60's or early 70,s who had a chat then laughed at me as he had 2 whoppers , blown out the water by some old Jenkins on my home patch!! My ego still hurts ! Still feeling confused and afraid......... Picked up a few shells on Sunday and a tasty treat to boot so partial redemption was mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 150
Nice one Jon, you can't beat experience. Nice lumpsucker, looks like a small one if that's yer foot in the bottom of the pic. Was it stranded in a pool?

Yeh the chap said he had 40 years on me of going lobstering so not feeling too bad. It was in a horse shoe shaped pool under a ridge, it waddled out when I gave it a prod, shame my camera is crap, the reds on it were neon red

I am sure most of you have seen pictures of the breached sea wall but, I have been renovating the Penthouse suite at the Grand Mare!
In fact I have been there since Jan 4th & I would have to say this weather scares me!

Last edited:
Luving the weather, best run of surf we've had in a decade.......... Wetsuit hasn't been dry since November that said I don't own a coastal property, don't own a boat, and I'm not renovating a house......so my view may be a little different to most people........tragic

Nearly time to dust off the suit and go for the first dive of the year (give or take a month ) jonny are u in a 5 or 7 mm diving suit?

5mm fro, with vest.
has the surf not been blown out mostly?
had a great paddle out round the knife at low tide today - really good to be back on the water with the yak :) zero vis everywhere of course tho.
thinking [still] of getting a surfski - looking at the Epic V8...

Hi jonny , what sort of vest? And is it cold or bearable ? How long were you in for the other day? The surf has been great, 90% of the time there has been a southerly component to the wind so somewhere is always cross or offshore, plus when it's been huge swell with westerly wind sheltered big wave spots like lancress Pembroke and fort Le Marchant have been lapping it up

A surf ski or basic sit on top is a good shout

@Fro-in-shorts i have an omer 3mm vest but i thinkits actually more like 1.5mm, just a thin layer. i wouldnt buy an omer vest again as the material seems so thin, but i am currently looking for a replacement, maybe polosub...
i was in for about an hour, its fine. the holes in my gloves limited my time as fingers went icy.

Here's the ski: https://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v8
i have a sot already which i love, but looking for a fitness paddling and adventure toy...
you might see me down vazon on my Jemski waveski as i have just dusted it down!

looks like a serious toy jonny, i'll be the guy on the black board in amoungst the big group of surfers lobbing rocks at you ha ha ;) but seriously though if I see you out in that down Vaz im ejecting you and having a go as that looks awsome, would love a go.

Hmm, I feel an Apnea spending spree coming on........

I was also about to say "I'd love a go", but having considered it a bit more that would be the worst thing I could do, because then my poor old Scupper Pro would feel like an ocean liner so I'd have to have me one of them!

Still very tempted by a Kaskazi Marlin, for the lack of weight compared to plastic boats if nothing else, would have to save me pennies for a while first though.

Reactions: denian
5mm fro, with vest. <br />has the surf not been blown out mostly?<br />had a great paddle out round the knife at low tide today - really good to be back on the water with the yak :) zero vis everywhere of course tho.<br />thinking [still] of getting a surfski - looking at the Epic V8...<br/>

I'll need to get training before Aug Jonny - you'll be flying in that beast. :)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT