• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Amazing to think we were fishing so close to shore or rocks, Dave used to prefer the shallow banks normally 50-70'. the huge catch of plaice were all caught inside the bay headlands.

Yeah my dad was always telling us how they caught them from the shore pretty regularly. We often tried fishing for flat fish when I was still at school a few years ago but no luck.

Yes mate, at one time it was quite easy to catch 3-4 plaice on the shore rods.
I used to drift just outside the Fort Doyle in my little dingy during the autumn & catch 6-7 in an afternoon.
We would always catch big wrasse at the same time, even the odd conger at slack water!
The very first fish I speared was a plaice, that was in Bray bay, Alderney, when I was 11.

When I was really really young I remember a friend of my parents coming around with a load of plaice that he had hand speared scuba diving. It must have been around 15 years ago now. I believe his regular spot was also the fort. I think someone official put a stop to it as he didn't have a GU number which was a shame. He hardly did it on a commercial scale, but I suppose I see why they cant have that sort of thing going on when people are paying for their numbers.

Struth, unfortunately it looks like it'd take something that size to be able to see it this year. The sea is just brown after these storms and we had something similar 5-6 years ago and it didn't clear for years, and even then was still hanging around right up to know.

Will we ever have good viz again? :cry:

Hope its better by Aug for the meet? Just watched a few you tube vids of the islands see your getting it as well as us !The café /bar down by the port where we sat on the last day in the hot sun drinking beer totally smashed to bits concrete bins flags and kerb stones thrown all over the place unreal! hope every ones ok and no homes damaged to much! The ton blocks of stone on the old castle causeway ripped out and blown away like little toys very worrying !

It has been amazing mate, we have lost hundreds of thousands of tons of sand from the beaches. There are rocks showing that have not been seen before, old forest exposed on the beach, old slipways & seawall foundations exposed.

looking forward to getting some vis and seeing what the seabed is looking like now - maybe need an underwater metal detector...

Fingers crossed will get some vis but... Tom has a point!
Yeah Jonny there could be a bit of German ordinance lying around!!

Heard some bad news today. Apparently, Gouliot Caves did not fare well in the recent storms. I have made enquires and will let you all know if I get any more info.

Do show us some pictures if you have any joy !some close ups of what they look like ta happy hunting.

Savage pics dudes!
Love those old pics from the boat Mart. Have you ever considered putting a few hundred of the best ones into a photo book?
That bass is savage... photoshop?

You're not seriously diving Jonny? Won't be able to see the the glass infront of your eyes, let alone your hand infront of your face if the viz is anything like it was were we just had these beauties. Futu now though!

Attachments

• 2014-03-01 14.07.47.jpg
    2014-03-01 14.07.47.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 2014-03-01 14.08.27.jpg
    2014-03-01 14.08.27.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT