• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2016

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello. First post in 2016, and in I made it into January (At least its January, still, here in Arizona).

First off, for those who don't know who I am and why I ask these odd questions, I'm this person: (https://forums.deeperblue.com/threa...s-not-a-mermaid-who-writes.77768/#post-860315).

This question is about dogfish skins. Once the skin is removed, treated, and ready to use for sanding, I know the outer surface is rough. But what does the inner surface of such a treated dogfish skin feel like?

OK, hopefully no one who reads the book will ever know I'm guessing. On the other hand, hopefully there are so many readers that there inevitably will be someone who knows I'm guessing.

Hm. . . Choices.

Ok well I would guess that the skins once dried will have one abrasive side and one much finer side that might be of some use for very fine work?
EDIT
Actually I have given this a bit more thought and I feel pretty sure only the outside would be abrasive & the inside would be non abrasive.

Last edited:
That is what I would guess at too, Mart. The scales give the roughness so I would expect the inside to be fairly smooth, maybe like thick paper when dried.

Shark skin is rough in one direction as it is covered in denticles, whilst on the inside it will just be normal skin so will be smooth I would have thought, just a thought! :D

There still seems to be uncertainly about the bass situation!
As far as I can work out there are no new official laws in place?

The EU is a confusing and annoying place, apparently because Germany has a written constitution they can deem new EU laws to be unconstitutional and not adopt them................ we don't have a written constitution and so don't currently have the same privilege................... I know it sounds like I am making this stuff up, but its real, it really is!!!!!

I would imagine that the EU directive counts as law, in that we automatically have to adopt EU laws, but I could be wrong?

Apparently... despite the sea fisheries announcement... Guernsey shore isn't defined as EU waters so it doesn't apply to our shore!
I really don't know what is happening in Guernsey, there are plenty of questions being asked but no specific answers being given.
I assume Sea fisheries don't know themselves?

Reactions: little sarge
Good luck to sea fisheries trying to police that one if it is ever inforced! I have seen plenty of people still spinning for bass when walking the dog recently!

Sea fisheries cant just introduce a new law. Surely, any law that can result in an offence leading to criminal prosecution would need to be ratified by the states .
Would that happen quickly....... it would be a first..
Tackle shops and commercial sandeel fishermen would take a very big hit.......
Why didnt sea fisheries act 10 yrs ago ?

Hope you're all well on my little island- are you getting a bit of a storm battering or did it miss?

Arriving tomorrow evening, The latest forecasts suggest gusts to F12 and 6.5m waves.

We have had nothing but high winds since before Xmas mate!!
How's you and the family?

Spinner Spaniels Andy?

Ooh, I'll get me coat :)

Hope you're all well on my little island- are you getting a bit of a storm battering or did it miss?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Me, Jonny and Chris braved the weather today for a spot of scalloping.
As expected vis was pretty rubbish! Nice to see all the small spiders walking around though. Had enough for dinner and a nice walk so I am happy. Water was lovely and warm and had a chance to test out some new kit. (y)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT