• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2016

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nice videos Jersey Mike.
I was wondering how the quality of a basic go pro was as I have just been given one! Looks pretty good. Hopefully get around to making a few videos of my own this year.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Selling a couple of cressi nano low volume masks in good condition if anyone is interested. One is clear lense and the other is mirrored. £29.50 new from apnea asking £14 each or both for £23

Nice videos Jersey Mike.
I was wondering how the quality of a basic go pro was as I have just been given one! Looks pretty good. Hopefully get around to making a few videos of my own this year.
Hi Kerin, nice to get one for free! I think the basic hero is good value, battery time is good and pic quality seems OK but heard black or silver image quality may be slightly better. Overall, I found the basic hero fairly easy to use and have had great fun playing with it. Look forward to seeing u r vids.

Hi guys I'm not on the island right now but I'll be back in the next four months or so, I'm passionate about my spearing but I was wondering if there was anywhere in Guernsey that I could train pool sessions, as in dynamic and static apnea. is there anyone out there who would be interested in a training buddy for those pool sessions?

Hi guys I'm not on the island right now but I'll be back in the next four months or so, I'm passionate about my spearing but I was wondering if there was anywhere in Guernsey that I could train pool sessions, as in dynamic and static apnea. is there anyone out there who would be interested in a training buddy for those pool sessions?

Hi Jacob
I have spoken to beau sejour about dynamics and they assured me they were ok with it.
Not sure how you would stand with statics though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob Fitch
There was an episode about 10 years back when Ed had a blackout during an underwater static in the pool!
I think Beardy & GBO2000 were there as well?

Hi Jacob
I have spoken to beau sejour about dynamics and they assured me they were ok with it.
Not sure how you would stand with statics though!
Cheers guys can't wait to get back and get into some serious training and will be defiantly be looking for dive buddies. Thanks for the quick reply guys

Still miserable out there, awful visibility, less than a metre in some places. At least I have managed to get the pots in using the Smartwave and have had four nice chancres so far as well as a few French-size lobsters and crabs. (Put back.) Pulled up a load of small spiders yesterday, so it looks like the big ones are not far away.

As a reminder that it isn't always as bad as this year, the conditions were great exactly a year ago, and I came home with this lot:

11038946_336563946539722_675431070896917559_o.jpg

Turbot on the offshore banks too, there have been a few flat calm days between the wind!

Turbot on the offshore banks too, there have been a few flat calm days between the wind!

My boat is out of the water still, so only have the dinghy to play with for another month or so. I could do St Martin's Point but Schole and Godine are out for me at the moment.

A sure sign the mackerel are lost in the bad vis?

I went to the beach today to get some ingredients for a sat night fire party, the beach looks like a "white bleached nuclear attack victim"
I really think there should be more limitations on the number of ormer tides? (cricking = 5)

I did a 2 h paddle on my paddleboard yesterday, starting at perelle and going to leree then around lihou, the viz is slowly returning after 3 calm days with no wind and dropping swell, by early next week should be good.

I agree with Mart on the less tides, and I know this will upset some people but there should be catch limits, on some of the tides people were coming away with 40-110, I know a couple of people who had over a hundred over 2 tides and they don't even eat the F*****g things, and they do this every time it drops below a 1.0m tide.

On top of this whilst paddling in 1-2m of water the majority of Boulders on the sea bed around Perell & Lihou are white & upside down, I don't care for the argument "you shouldn't flip them back it crushes the sea life living under them" crap excuse for Laziness in my opinion, if you cant be bothered to move any crabs etc. out the way before you flip it back or roll back carefully, don't turn rocks....simple.

rant over, FYI given the lack of wind and swell forecast (excluding the Blip on Friday) the viz on Sunday should be the best its been in months

Reactions: foxfish
I have never been impressed with big catches of omers or mackerel!

I did a 2 h paddle on my paddleboard yesterday, starting at perelle and going to leree then around lihou, the viz is slowly returning after 3 calm days with no wind and dropping swell, by early next week should be good.

I agree with Mart on the less tides, and I know this will upset some people but there should be catch limits, on some of the tides people were coming away with 40-110, I know a couple of people who had over a hundred over 2 tides and they don't even eat the F*****g things, and they do this every time it drops below a 1.0m tide.

Well, it doesn't take a genius to work out a relatively slow growing shellfish can't sustain that sort of pressure forever. Places like S Africa have really tight rules about abalone bag limits, seasons etc. And they really police it but even there some areas are barren after being hammered.
Personally I don't reckon the ormer / abalone is that great eating anyway. Having to beat them to tenderise it gives a clue - a battered flip flop with some fish sauce on it wouldn't be too dissimilar IMO [emoji23]

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Personally I don't reckon the ormer / abalone is that great eating anyway. Having to beat them to tenderise it gives a clue - a battered flip flop with some fish sauce on it wouldn't be too dissimilar IMO
emoji23.png
Jealously will get you nowhere :)

Reactions: grantl
Decided to finish work at a reasonable time today and made a last minute decision to join Jonny and Chris for a dive.
Vis was surprisingly good and we hit a gravel bank to hunt for some flatties. Breath hold wasn't on top form but surprisingly I was feeling fine with depth. No flats seen but plenty of chancres and spiders around and good to stretch the legs and lungs. Hope to get in a few more dives in the next few weeks and find some flats.
Anyone else been in??

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT