• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
We have seen some nice size Pollock in our fish ins over the last few years.
The Jersey lads have shot 5 & 8lb fish & Edin had a double figure one 3 years ago.

Reactions: Kristian Allen
Got in tonight for my first night dive, it was calm and the vis was good, saw a few species, sole, red mullet, bass, couches, scad and a shoal of large mullet in the shallows. Nothing was taken but a really good dive and looking forward to the next one, thanks kerin and edd for letting me join you both and the other ed for lending me a torch

Got in tonight for my first night dive, it was calm and the vis was good, saw a few species, sole, red mullet, bass, couches, scad and a shoal of large mullet in the shallows. Nothing was taken but a really good dive and looking forward to the next one, thanks kerin and edd for letting me join you both and the other ed for lending me a torch

No worries mate, you were super calm and got on really well. Thanks for the team work with that lobby too, there was no way I was getting him out without a hand on the other side of that large Boulder.

Good dive with Tom last night. A spot we go to occasionally but nothing of any real size.
Straight in I was seeing bass - a couple around 3 pounds but mostly smaller.
I saw a metre long conger in knee deep water - it was happy just snaking around a boulder on the sand.
Found a small lobster waving both claws from the safety of a rocky hole.
Saw some red mullet, missed the first one! On the way back had a look in the weed and saw a red mullet in the bootlace doing a bass impression. Missed that one! Going to get dynamite next time.
Half a dozen or more hand sole.
That's about it really - nice dive but was expecting to see more sole & plaice. Maybe too early in the season still.

Yep, nice spot but lacking in quality today. Lots of sole, some squid and cuttles, one smallish Lobo which got left behind and one red mullet which didn't.

I fitted a bodged flippy diffuser to the torch so will be interesting to see how the video comes out.

Attachments

• DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 190
I am surprised you night divers don't try out Vazon, got to be the best bet for turbot & brill.
Before windsurfers, jet skis & all the other plastic was out there, Vazon was possibly the most popular spearfishing bay!

Reactions: Kristian Allen
Have done a couple of times in the past, has bass and sole but no tubbies or brill.

My brother Derek, caught quite a few Turbot, most came from Fort Grat but I think that was because that was where he dived 90% of the time.
I know he had several off Albecq & his biggest was from Vazon.
I cant remember the sizes of any really, but most were double figures!
Obviously there were a lot more fish around 25 years ago!
Derek often said that he wondered what would of been caught if we had the skills & equipment that we have today, but he was very modest & nothing short of an athlete in the water.

Legends indeed, both of them. Only one I've had was the Brill on the right of this pic from 2012, which was a lot more northerly than that.

Here's a quick vid from last night, hopefully will get something a bit more interesting tonight....

Attachments

• 2012-11-08 20.29.44.jpg
    2012-11-08 20.29.44.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 197
Yep, nice spot but lacking in quality today. Lots of sole, some squid and cuttles, one smallish Lobo which got left behind and one red mullet which didn't.

I fitted a bodged flippy diffuser to the torch so will be interesting to see how the video comes out.
Hi,
I have just sailed into Guernsey and am looking for a dive buddy. Currently in St. Peter's port.

Legends indeed, both of them. Only one I've had was the Brill on the right of this pic from 2012, which was a lot more northerly than that.

Here's a quick vid from last night, hopefully will get something a bit more interesting tonight....

Nice video Mr Magpie
I am glad it's not only me who gets the run about or Houdini'd by lobsters!

Reactions: Magpie
Just in from a dive. Not much joy for me, and got royale'y shown up by Ed. Vid and pics to follow.

Reactions: Fro-in-shorts
So, last night me and Ed turned up and found a decent swell and chop at our first choice spot so we decamped towards Mecca to find more friendly ground.

The new area was also pretty choppy but nothing ventured...so off we went. Turned out to be a stupid idea and after an hour of bouncing around in the swell and tide with just a red mullet scratched out each we decided to call it a day and head back inside the reef we'd gone along the outside of in the hope the return trip would at least be a bit more sheltered, if not any more fishy. After a while of similar barreness I heard a shout in the dark, and that's where the video picks up the story.

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 20.41.53~2.png
Went out last night for a dive brilliant vis and flat calm. loads around , bass sole and red Mullet everywhere . No Flatt fish Big enough unfortunately as that's all I was after . Nice to see a top Knott , ray and the guilt head tho .
Does anyone know what that mini bream is ? White possibly
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.54.28~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 20.39.48~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.59.29~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.45.17~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 21.25.30~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 21.42.52~2.png

Great pictures Ed.
Those two banded bream have been around for years but as Tom mentioned alway samall!

Reactions: Eddy1666
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT