• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
There is talk on the radio this morning about restriction on speargun ownership and use!
I have acted as spokesmen in the past when the same issue has come up, I hope someone else will speak up for the local spearfishing community.

I don't think anything we do or say will make any difference Mart!
They will do whatever they want so I certainly am not going to let it spoil my day! If I need a license then I will get one, they are required in most places now so I guess they are just following suit.

What next eh.......

It has almost happened before, I had the police firearms officer at my house to look at my guns, after further correspondence we prevented any action. You migh be right though and they might just be considering age restriction and licensing and not a total ban?

I think they would find it very difficult to completely ban having and using a speargun if you can poses and use a firearm with a licence Mart.

Nice video Edd. (y)

Reactions: Eddy1666
Makes sense , don't see a problem with having to have a licence and I think an age restriction would be a good thing

Reactions: little sarge
I have only ever seen one buried in the sand at Perelle but others have seen them, definitely not common!
Electric rays used to be quite common, seen lots of them, always lying on the sand.

A few of us got out on a boat trip/dive today.
Was looking really good but when we entered the water we had a real mixed bag of viz.
I was watching some schoolie bass chasing and feeding on bait fish in the shallows and as it was my first time using my camera I thought this would make great footage and continued watching. It wasn't long before a 3lb+ bass swooped in so he was the first fish on the stringer.
Carried on for a while longer filming some mullet in the sea grass and found another 2 bass. I was working out which one was the biggest to take when they noticed me and bolted, hit one with a really awful shot towards the back end of the fish and he also got put on the stringer.
Things went quite after that until I moved into slightly deeper water and saw a big yellow nose coming towards me. Got excited at the size of this thing and let off a rushed shot only to miss, the gilty came back for another look before flapping its tail and heading off into the distance. Carried on for a while longer and in about 4m of clear water I see another 2 gilts cruising along. Took my time and lined up on the bigger fish, shot was good and he was well on the spear.
After that I saw some nice white bream over the sand and quite a few more bass but nothing else was taken. Really good dive with good company, cheers guys.
Gilty weighed in at 5lb 9oz and I am totally chuffed.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fantastic afternoon out with the guys, was far too nice to be stuck at work anyhows.
Like Kerin said viz was a mixed bag, stalked some kelpy bootlace shallow area's to start with, within 10 mins a bass came in for a look, was just about a passable taking bass but decided to wait in case anything bigger came along. Swam out in to slightly deeper water and dropped down into the kelp at up to 5 meters, hung onto kelp stalks and waited....breath hold is now starting to be around minute, viz at this stage was snotty....saw little. Continued along and started to see some biggish mullet, took a couple of shots and missed...to be fair they'd seen me and were on a run.
Tide was pushing against me so zig zagged around the bay. In another area it suddenly came to life and started seeing decent bass swimming around but all moving to fast or out of range for a shot, was swimming in about 4 meters of water with tons of jap weed trails when I spotted a big grey head moving really slowly to take a look, thought it was a big mullet but then realised it was a decent bass, moved my gun really slowly in line with the path the fish was taking, took a shot and thought i'd missed but then the bass darted to the sand following my shooting line, at this stage it had wrapped itself deep in the jap weed and I was tangled up in my line, tangle sorted and a couple of dive downs managed to find the bass, wasn't the best shot and if i'd started pulling the fish would probably have ripped off, 4lb 10oz so happy with that.
Continued swimming and was now seeing more bass, big shoals of schoolies coming in for a look, a number of shoals of 3-4lbrs, saw a good few bigger fish darting away from me, was motionless waiting in some jap weed and a stack more bass came around, lots of schoolies but then some bigger fish at the end of the shoal, lined up and took another for the table.
By this stage we needed to get back so started heading back but very slowly, next thing im looking down and in about 3 meters of water a Gilt head sat on the sand under me, I got pretty excited at this stage but well focused on what this was and taking the shot, the fish was starting to swim but only slowly and a fairly easy shot, fired and pinned the fish to the ground with the spear (bizzarly in thos e seconds started to think here we go my first gilty, going to be posting this on DB later) only for the fish to go mental and create a sand storm trying to release itself, by the time i'd dived into the crazy sand storm all I found was an empty spear :rage: fish had ripped off.
All the action happened in the last hour and my camera had run out after a couple of hours, managed a few seconds footage with the bass as you always get around 30 seconds filming when the battery runs out.
Epic session and totally stoked.....woken up starving so after eating a load of food, decided i'd post this report, Mrs has broken her foot so spearo sessions out over the next few weeks could be a rarity.
Thanks John for taking us out on the boat, very much appreciated! and thanks for giving us that Lobby, it tasted great with half a bottle of plonk!
Capture.JPG
Capture2 (3).JPG
IMG_8771.JPG
IMG_8782.JPG
IMG_8807.JPG
IMG_8820.JPG

I actually got in the water for the first time this year.
I saw Jacob at the top of the beach, we watched the kayak fishermen for a few minuets before deciding where to enter the sea!
I set out to check a few well known holes (always check that big one Jacob) but nothing in any of them.
I am just so 'unfit' for diving and after one hour of up & down I was barely able to walk back up the beach!
I did not see much at all & apart from one 2lb plaice that came home & a few cuttle fish, the sand was barren.
To be fair I am sure there were plenty more flatfish around but with such a poor breath hold & lack of stamina, I just could not find them.

Great day out, thanks guys. I was following Matt for the first hour or so. Had a little aspetto over some sand in poor viz and saw a gilthead come past from my right.... didn't expect it, took a shot, shot looked good but it started thrashing and tore off. Gutted. Next time....
Saw alot of bass and a mix of aspettos and drift stalking. Had a small bass to check my aim and then had a larger one on a deeper aspetto.
Coming back to the boat I noticed a couple of bream slowly finning into cover. Possibly white bream? Def not gilties nor black bream.
Fantastic diving, good company and great fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT