• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Quick video showing some of the different specimens seen by me and Ed on our night dive this evening. Sole in the video was really well camouflaged as it was so light in colour. I kept getting attacked by garfish for some reason! Happy with my new torch, must fit a lanyard before our next night dive though.
Again excellent footage mate. Thanks for the share [emoji1360].

Seems the new light works as expected and defintley does the job.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Cheers guys I really enjoy taking the camera in and well done on the gilts Pierre.

Had a nice relaxed dive with the guys yesterday and was hoping for another Gilty myself but it didn't happen, maybe next time.....
Took a couple of 4lb+ bass and one around 3lb
Viz was good but noticed the drop in air temp for sure! Nice to see Brandon spear his first bass, and a fine one at that.
image.jpg

Was it anyone on here that was out around 7:30am this morning in Havelet Bay?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Good dive on Sunday with Jon, Kerin, Matt & Brandon (& thanks Edd for the SWI). In for maybe 3 and a half hours over the low and saw plenty of small bass. I saw a cracking bass in about 3m of water and promptly missed it - not heavy enough for an aspetto and rubbish at the surface shot - need target practice :(
Also had a chat with Brandon about the incoming seal (good heads up as I'd definitely like to be aware of them rather than see them on an aspetto) and then saw a pair of gilties swim under me. Tried the vertical straight down shot but missed! Rubbish shot but very cool to see them swim under me, quite a distinctive tail motion and that gold band across the head in the sunshine is hard to forget.
Got shoaled by a mix of small bass and mullet over the next hour or so. Alot of aspettos - 35 dives / 7m max / 1.27 max dive time, no large fish seen on aspetto.... Need to improve my surface/shallow game.
Swimming back in over the shallows I saw a small giltie coming towards me from the right. It slipped behind some weed and I tried to anticipate where it was going to reappear but it did a houdini and I saw it emerge beyond where I thought possible. Too small anyway.
Great dive, good company.

Sunday saw great conditions and was one of my best dives of the season. Saw my first holed up bass also which was strange, followed it around a corner only for it to disappear, on closer inspection there was a large overhanging cave and the little weasel had swam in and out the other side. Saw lots of big golden browed dinner plates holding in the current just out of range, was in 5m of water doing drops and saw them schooling twice but they wouldn't come and play, this wasn't helped by the fact I have the breath hold of a 10 year old at the moment.
Spent the rest of the dive missing bass and also missing a big Gilty (would have been a pb) which turned as I pulled the trigger (they move so quick). On the way back in though managed a really long bass (around 60cm) so all in all quite happy. Great to be out in the sun with people and on/in the water again

Makes the fish seem twice as big.

Yeah, 2lbs gotta be more than 1kg! [emoji1]
So when you weigh yourselves, you switch over to kgs?? ;)

One more stupid question from one of them stuck in te metric thinking... and once again sorry for a bit of ot, but why the heck is pound shorted "lb"?

Reactions: Kyle merrien
No, when weighing people you switch to stones!

Lbs comes from the Latin libra/um which relates to the weight on balance scales.

Obviously! How stupid of me not to think of that! Stones and libras and shit, life in the non-metrical world is really all but logic! :D But hey, you guys are really all set regarding ways of measuring stuff! :)

You guys have been scoring it good. I was hoping to get out over the past few days but my wife's been hit with man-flu, so my attention has been forcibly shifted to home.

Reactions: foxfish
I went in today, looking for flatfish.
Lovely vis, loads of big fecking jellyfish but a nasty ground swell (flatfish hate that) & needless to say .. no fish.
However I did have a very interesting experience!
There I was happily staring at the bottom in about 5 m of water in the middle of the bay, when I sort of noticed something to my right!
Instant alert mode (panic?) is it a shark? is it a big bull seal a windsuffer a boat?
Nope it is a guy in a pair of shorts & T-shirt, wearing a pair of swimming goggles & a pair of ice fins going like the clappers arms and all!
I can only guess he was training for something, he swam about 10' away from me without even seeing me!

Great Dive Sunday, woke up a little worse for wear after my Dads 70th and sisters 30th celebrations the day before, but there was a boat trip and I wasn't going to miss out :), and getting in the sea is the best cure I find. Viz was amazing and in really shallow water saw a big grey head with fat lips, it was huge, have it on video but you can just make out the size of the body turning and swimming away, carried on and saw small bass and mullet swimming around, looked fishy. Hunted around looking for my first Gilty but didn't get a sight of gold. Saw a mullet and decided that i'd use it in the wifes curry recipe that she's made me a good few times and its really nice....bad shot through the tail though!
Saw some nice sized bass but normally swimming in the opposite direction to my gun, found a nice 4lbr swimming over my shoulder in a shoal of much smaller ones, was finning really slowly when I noticed a bass swimming quite fast through the jap weed, lined up where I thought it was going to come out and sure enough in line and on the stringer - wasn't my best shot through the tail again, was only a few lb in weight but tasted really good for tea tonight with the Mrs and my daughter. Cheers Guys was a cracking day.
bass1.JPG
IMG_8955.JPG
IMG_8960.JPG
IMG_8961.JPG
IMG_8963.JPG
pic1.JPG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT