• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've heard rumors of local spearos leaving loaded guns on the beach.

Load the gun when you are in the water starting your dive.

Unload the gun a few moments before leaving the water.

Be safe.

I have also heard this from non spearos. These people will give us all a bad name. The only "safety" is a unloaded gun!

Reactions: Eddy1666
Quick question - I have a rob allen gopro mount. But have found it to get in the way when loading the gun, is this the same for most mounts or is there a certain place along the barrel that is best ?

Quick question - I have a rob allen gopro mount. But have found it to get in the way when loading the gun, is this the same for most mounts or is there a certain place along the barrel that is best ?

Hi Kristian
A lot of people make them so they attach to the barrel but the camera mounts 7 or 8 inches away from the barrel. I have mine mounted on the bottom of my gun upside down so it doesn't get in the way of the bands, if your camera has a screen then it should have a function so even though the camera is upside down you see the image on the screen the correct way. I was having the same trouble and my bands were getting damaged when firing!

I have also heard this from non spearos. These people will give us all a bad name. The only "safety" is a unloaded gun!
Why would someone load it out of the water? Its easier loading when your in anyway.

That being said if its non-spearos noticing the guns they might mistake the shaft being locked in as a loaded gun.

If im diving where there appears to be swimmers / beach goers I tend to hold the shaft next to the gun so there is no confusion.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hi Kristian
A lot of people make them so they attach to the barrel but the camera mounts 7 or 8 inches away from the barrel. I have mine mounted on the bottom of my gun upside down so it doesn't get in the way of the bands, if your camera has a screen then it should have a function so even though the camera is upside down you see the image on the screen the correct way. I was having the same trouble and my bands were getting damaged when firing!
upload_2017-9-23_11-9-28.png
this is the one I have maybe I just need to try different places along the barrel i was putting it around 3/4 of the way up but found it got in the way and scrapped it after one try maybe just need to play around with it ? was just loading that was the issue had to jimmy it round if you understand what i mean ?

View attachment 44002this is the one I have maybe I just need to try different places along the barrel i was putting it around 3/4 of the way up but found it got in the way and scrapped it after one try maybe just need to play around with it ? was just loading that was the issue had to jimmy it round if you understand what i mean ?

Ok so it's already on the bottom, could you maybe extend it somehow to get it away from the barrel a bit more? Or so it sits lower? Sometimes new kit takes a while to get used to... Westcoaster uses a rob Allen. Maybe he has had a similar problem or uses another mount?

Hi Kristian

I have one of those mounts, I did have it loaded in my gun at the start of the season, I must admit I didn’t have any issues with loading my gun with it, the biggest problem was even with an anti recoil under the camera, the mount would flip backwards and miss the shot on the bass
I’ve now switched back to my old mount which my daughter calls the “cheese sandwich”, I like it though, i stuck cork board on it and I’ll get a floaty back door, the gun then pretty much can film you while your dealing with the fish
6180448099aefe1142a6b4b7e70247d2.jpg

Reactions: Kristian Allen
I was going to get another one of these for my other gun but struggled to find one, it was about £25

Kristian, just looked at your picture, mine was loaded about 25% from the handle, might be better to mount it nearer to the handle end

There’s Rob Allen pics on google images and they tend to show it mounted closer to the handle, mine me was closer than this pic off spearfishing.co.uk

e0256d1c878e23622b85bbb77d88b83d.jpg

There’s Rob Allen pics on google images and they tend to show it mounted closer to the handle, mine me was closer than this pic off spearfishing.co.uk

e0256d1c878e23622b85bbb77d88b83d.jpg
[/QUOTE Yeah I tried mine right up by the handle and would hit my elbows on it and have to do wierd manoeuvres. Maybe ill try right down near the muzzle as pictured. Thanks for the advice though mate

Reactions: westcoaster
Went for a dive yesterday but the vis was pretty crappy in the bright sun . Came across a bass which I managed to miss at very close range ! Easy shot , seems to be happening allot recently... Gave up after a while and went looking around the sand in the shallows . I came across maybe 6 or more tiny flat fish which all seemed to be feeding . One of them even went for my spear tip as I dragged it over the sand . I have a short video which is uploadig now and will post it here when it's done . Want to see if anyone can identify them , must be either plaice turbot or brill . As they are day feeders . I recon the second fish in the video is brill because of it's oval shape .

Took the Omer Hollow Stone 7mm wetsuit out for a swim today, added double the weight and I was still really buoyant
Bought it as this time of year I get really cold, felt like I was wrapped up in a duvet, if I was weighted ok it would have been fine, and will be good for April/May. Wetsuit has a much better loading pad
No fish seen but Found my first Lobby, although the Lobby won
Didn’t help when I dived down I raced back up to the top again due to the wetsuit, the Lobby was feeding on a razor clam, turned on his side so I decided to make a dive for it, stick my hand under but couldn’t grab it in time before heading back up to the surface, I think it was just under legal but it was more about seeing one, and getting it out of his hole. Learnt a bit there and will be better prepared next time
24e957420866726794c8f29786633b04.jpg
92890c1361c66284405cd815ad054420.jpg

[/QUOTE
Was that on the very low? I always see them almost like they’re waiting for the water to rise so they can feed. Have seen most species, plaice, turbot and even the odd sole which always surprises me. Always fun the play with.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT