• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Would be really good to see a Jersey thread on DeeperBlue. They get some great catches and make some excellent videos.
A few years ago when the forum was extra busy & before facebook took over peoples lives, we did have an active Jersey thread.
As the forum started loosing active members, Mike and a few others started posting their reports on our Guernsey thread.
It would be great if the guys started posting on here again.
facebook has so many issues, the fact that post get lost within hours & can be really difficult to find after a few days is one!
We do have adverts on this forum although for $10 a year you can loose those if you like!
There was one really good Jersey thread about a guy using only a pole spear, he was pretty good with it too!

A bit off topic but thought you might like this mart ... when I was desperate to catch a sole from the shore OMD was a great help and encouragement as he was with many others ..... so today when I was perusing my "La mare de carteret" cook book i came across this recipe

IMG_2649.JPG It was lovely to be reminded of such a great bloke once again ...
If I remember right we sold the cookbook to help fund the building of the swimming pool ....

Reactions: Spirit
Very good R.M. he was a legend indeed who taught us all. Do you know that was Dave, because it might equally have been Derek?

Reactions: Rouge Moullet
It will be 7 years ago he died, in 4 days time!
Dave was a dedicated sea hunter, he had spent so many thousands of hour in the water, that his knowledge was unsurpassed!
I remember when he discovered this forum, he was both amazed and really excited, he loved meeting other divers ( & rod fishermen :))
The forum introduced Dave to night diving, he loved nigh diving & would go at every opportunity - normally on his own much to the families horror.
The wrong type of C took him in the end though....
Dave supplied our whole family with fresh filleted fish for over 40 years... summer & winter!
We shared many interest in life & I don't think there were many days when we did not talk to each other but, he most impressed me with his incredible knowagle of our surrounding tides, rocks & the general topography of our coast.
Equally impressive was his ability & willingness to share his knowledge with anyone who was interested.

Dave was a dedicated sea hunter, he had spent so many thousands of hour in the water, that his knowledge was unsurpassed!
I remember when he discovered this forum, he was both amazed and really excited, he loved meeting other divers ( & rod fishermen :))
The forum introduced Dave to night diving, he loved nigh diving & would go at every opportunity - normally on his own much to the families horror.
Dave supplied our whole family with fresh filleted fish for over 40 years... summer & winter!
We shared many interest in life & I don't think there were many days when we did not talk to each other but, he most impressed me with his incredible knowagle of our surrounding tides, rocks & the general topography of our coast.
Equally impressive was his ability & willingness to share his knowledge with anyone who was interested.
Sounds like a fantastic guy, given his nature and knowledge wish i could have met and learned from him.

I had heard of OMD before I even joined the forum or FB page.

Guy sounds like an absolute legend [emoji1360]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Doesn't time fly. We met for the first time not long after.

I only met OMD once, as he was getting out of the sea at Grandes Rocques after a night dive. He welcomed my quizzing about it and invited me to join him on a future dive. Unfortunately I lost his contact details and never had that dive.

pollock-1720g.jpg

Thursday 21 September 2017
Thought I'd go for a quick dive to test a new sub vest and a loaner back weight vest (thanks Tom).
Saw a couple of large garfish straight off then swam across a section of fast current and across to a reef.
After creeping up the edge in the current I found a little bay.

Was testing out some shallow aspettos and got shoaled by a large herd of mullet. I kept checking each one to make sure it wasn't an imposter-bass lurking in the midst but no, not a single bass each time.

Played with the mullet over quite a few dives and headed into deeper water. The last time I got shoaled I saw a bream in the mix. Wasn't a gilthead nor a black bream. Right shape for a Couches but looked less pink - I've only seen Couches at night and this guy didn't hang around. No stripes, no gold, no black spot on the tail....

Back across some current and towards a little sandy bay behind a reef. Normally a great spot but the waves & swell were increasing and the head slap wasn't great. Had a few more aspettos off a point and saw a few pollock - decent size, I don't often shoot them, tasted great!

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to spearfishing here in Guernsey and my knowledge on locations for spearfishing isn't the best. Please could one of you guys possibly give me some advice on good locations?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Kyle merrien
Hi Brett,
I'm sure others will chip in but you can catch fish at many many places.
I'd pick a place local to you and spend time exploring it.
You'll get to know the tides & currents, you'll understand how the location works and you'll slowly get better and catch fish.

In general terms I'd pick a sandy bay about half an hour before low and dive for about two hours.

Avoid high tide and avoid locations with currents to begin with.

What are you hoping to catch?
What gear do you have?
Where have you tried diving already?
Who do you currently dive with?
What fish have you caught so far?

Take it easy,
Ed

That's the joy of living here, I can't think of a stretch of our coastline where it would not be worth going. There is fish everywhere.

As Ed says, pick a spot, then learn it.

Here's a sneaky peak at a video coming your way soon, can you tell what it is yet?
Capture.JPG

So, looking back I haven't been on a daylight dive since 2013, and not with a gun since 2010, until today. We went mob handed, 5 of us heading in, and it didn't start well for me.

Loading the gun for the first time I managed to rip a big hole in my 10 year old suit, and then was too late on a nice bass, very rusty!

Then came the main event, which you can see in the vid below. View isn't great as my camera was attached to my head so I didn't fancy putting it too close! Hopefully Little Sarge got some better footage from his gun mounted cam.

Got something to come home with in the end. A good 4 hours in the water despite my belly sticking out. I'll let the others tell their own stories, looking forward to finding out if Ed is going to see his new friends again anytime soon, and I'm off to see if I've got much neoprene glue left...

So, looking back I haven't been on a daylight dive since 2013, and not with a gun since 2010, until today. We went mob handed, 5 of us heading in, and it didn't start well for me.

Loading the gun for the first time I managed to rip a big hole in my 10 year old suit, and then was too late on a nice bass, very rusty!

Then came the main event, which you can see in the vid below. View isn't great as my camera was attached to my head so I didn't fancy putting it too close! Hopefully Little Sarge got some better footage from his gun mounted cam.

Got something to come home with in the end. A good 4 hours in the water despite my belly sticking out. I'll let the others tell their own stories, looking forward to finding out if Ed is going to see his new friends again anytime soon, and I'm off to see if I've got much neoprene glue left...

I need to know where this is so i can avoid that stingray [emoji6][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Magpie
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT