• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Last minute decision for a dive after work yesterday. Was enjoying drops in about 8m with huge shoals of pollacks ranging from very small to borderline legal, they always make you relaxed and calm I find as it is so nice to watch them almost floating and moving so smoothly in or just out of the tide. Also saw some small bream, silver, white with 2 black stripes. I think they are called "two banded bream" please correct me if I am wrong though.
Lots of solo big stinky mullet around and loads of shoals of small mullets too. Was in for about 2 hrs with goodish viz, no fish taken but always good to be in the water.

Last minute decision for a dive after work yesterday. Was enjoying drops in about 8m with huge shoals of pollacks ranging from very small to borderline legal, they always make you relaxed and calm I find as it is so nice to watch them almost floating and moving so smoothly in or just out of the tide. Also saw some small bream, silver, white with 2 black stripes. I think they are called "two banded bream" please correct me if I am wrong though.
Lots of solo big stinky mullet around and loads of shoals of small mullets too. Was in for about 2 hrs with goodish viz, no fish taken but always good to be in the water.
Nice. Been in everday this week but seem to only see mullet wherever I go [emoji38]

On a different note Ive got my full 5mm wettie so no more 2hr dives in a 2mm shorty[emoji1360]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 22.58.58~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 22.44.28~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 23.17.45~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 23.33.26~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 22.53.22~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 22.45.51~2.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 22.37.14~2.png
I also did a night dive not too far away with Ed last night . Tons of Different species around , an angy long nose , black bream , guilt head , couches , red Mullet , bass , mullet and the first turbot I have seen . Flat calm conditions and great vis . I took two nice size red Mullet around 1.6lb
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 22.58.58~2.png

Conditions were surprisingly good last night considering the rough weather prior.

Edd had a pair of gooood sized red mullet, they looked really meaty and I was imagining a little bit of garlic & a little bit of olive oil, some linguine....

Saw a couple but nothing huge and had made a dent in their population last week.

As Edd says, plenty of species to marvel at. What is the large cabou type fish? It was big if it was a cabou. I've seen them before but not looked them up.

Tried out a couple of ideas which Edd implemented really well. Taped a small marker light to a float on an anchor and left it in the shallows.
Could see it really really well from a long way off.

Can't overemphasize safety on a night dive. Not something to do solo if you don't have much dark time in the water...

Edd attached a bag at the bottom with bait - at the end of the dive it was crawling with huge lobsters....oh, in my mind! In reality it did attract a large population of whelks but we saw a few juvenile lobsters heading that way.
Good dive, good company.

Do wrasse get very large in size and come in a very dark colour with black dots?

Wrasse come in all sorts of colours, not sure about dots though!
Just don't shoot them!
No I don't made that mistake a while ago, was my first 2 shots then someone on the FB kindly educated me about wrasse!

That's why I asked as I didnt want to shoot if it was a wrasse.

Wrasse are edible & quite a traditional Guernsey dish.
Unfortunately they are in massive decline, only 10 years ago you might of seen 4 or 5 5lb + wrasse per dive.
They are very susceptible to netting & ' number one' favourite pot bait!
It was always a joy to spend a few moments watching a big wrasse cruising the kelp.

Reactions: portinfer
Wrasse are edible & quite a traditional Guernsey dish.
Unfortunately they are in massive decline, only 10 years ago you might of seen 4 or 5 5lb + wrasse per dive.
They are very susceptible to netting & ' number one' favourite pot bait!
It was always a joy to spend a few moments watching a big wrasse cruising the kelp.
Thanks for the helping identifying and for the additonal info [emoji1360]

It seemd a bit unspotsman like anyway as they always seem pretty doseile and remain in the same spot. Not easily spooked.

Reactions: foxfish
Spontaneous dive with Jonny after work today . The conditions wernt ideal with a large ground swell but the vis was pretty good considering.
Targeting pollock we went out and started doing deep drops around 12+ meters . First drop for me was right in to a shole of small Pollock which was a good sighn . Carried on doing drops further around the coast untill I spotted a bigger fish amongst the shole and managed to hit it , chunky fat Pollock of 5lb ,and a PB
Enjoyable few hours doing my favorite type of spear fishing .

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 21.23.15~3.png

Night dive last night - not much around, might have been the neap tide?

Anyway, saw a nice cuttle, a black bream, eel, a couple of small sole but really felt like there should have been more.

Good to go in & tested a little marker entry/exit light.

Night dive last night - not much around, might have been the neap tide?

Anyway, saw a nice cuttle, a black bream, eel, a couple of small sole but really felt like there should have been more.

Good to go in & tested a little marker entry/exit light.

Was like a ghost town in there but still good to be in. You don't know unless you go I guess.

Hopefully got some nice footage of the cuttlefish, bream and small eyed ray though. Saw legal Pollock, bass and sole but all left.
Thanks for the dive and good company guys (y)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT