• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
What I meant to reply instead ended up quoting. Was that on the very low? I always see them almost like they’re waiting for the water to rise so they can feed. Have seen most species, plaice, turbot and even the odd sole which always surprises me. Always fun the play with.

What I meant to reply instead ended up quoting. Was that on the very low? I always see them almost like they’re waiting for the water to rise so they can feed. Have seen most species, plaice, turbot and even the odd sole which always surprises me. Always fun the play with.
Cool ! Nearly half tide up that was

Reactions: Kristian Allen
Got in Friday with the guys and was greeted with okish viz, was nice to meet Magpie after being a member here for over 3 years and reading his reports in all the old Guernsey threads, turns out he's really not as bad as the other guys make out! ;)

The first hour way pretty quiet with only a few small mullet seen, then all of a sudden i hear loads of shouting like someone had either shot a 10lb guilt head or themselves. I raced over to find Magpie pointing at a 35lb+ stingray resting on the sand, it was the highlight of the dive and great to see.

Carried on a while longer and once the tide started to rise i was seeing some bass, took a couple and then just watched. I try to be responsible with how many i take as it would be very easy to keep pulling the trigger. In the last 45 mins of the dive i saw some cracking sized bass, easily 7lb. Its hard to explain but its like they know your not going to shoot. I had one swimming towards me and within 1ft of my spear tip we passed each other close and it didn't even flinch, I looked back as we passed and it just carried on in the same path and disappeared into the distance. Amazing to see but of course i had been in over 3 hours and the camera battery had gone!

Thanks for the dive guys.
Heres a short video of some of the footage. When i take the second bass in the video i remain partly hidden and a couple of nice bass come in to investigate.

Probably been told this before but I have forgotten. Is there such a thing as a UK or channel islands record for different fish species caught on spear ?

There will be in Jersey, I don't think there is an active list in Guernsey?
During the 70s & 80s we had our own spearfishing club called the Blue Dolphin (there was a reunion two years ago at the Yacht Club) & they kept a record list. There were also lots of social events & monthly competitions etc...
The Forum has its own Hall of Fame but it has not been active for a few years now.
However it makes for great reading, click on a record to find the story..... https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/the-deeperblue-com-spearfishing-hall-of-fame.82043/

Reactions: Kyle merrien
Good dive on Friday, nice conditions and very fishable despite being a little murky.
Took a couple of bass and found some new friends (had a male and female seal swim under me).
Found a great spot for some aspettos and then missed a 4 pounder as I dithered. Decided to call it a day and was hoofing it back when three large bass swam under me, I took a rubbish shot and then the largest one looked at me, waited for me to reload, then flicked off as the spear engaged in the trigger. Oh well.

Had a little dive on Saturday, 3mm suit, hardly any weight, no gun. So nice to scoot around and not worry about anything, just good to look at the fish.

There will be in Jersey, I don't think there is an active list in Guernsey?
During the 70s & 80s we had our own spearfishing club called the Blue Dolphin (there was a reunion two years ago at the Yacht Club) & they kept a record list. There were also lots of social events & monthly competitions etc...
The Forum has its own Hall of Fame but it has not been active for a few years now.
However it makes for great reading, click on a record to find the story..... https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/the-deeperblue-com-spearfishing-hall-of-fame.82043/
I will have a read , cheers . Would be great if there was an active record list again and some sort of club ! All sounds good fun . The one jersy have looks good , keeps guys motivated . I wonder how easy it would be to start one ...

I will have a read , cheers . Would be great if there was an active record list again and some sort of club ! All sounds good fun . The one jersy have looks good , keeps guys motivated . I wonder how easy it would be to start one ...
I'd become an active member Ed and happy to administer / help out in anyway possible.

I too think it would be good to have a club and keep records [emoji1360]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That hall of fame is great . How would you go about doing a guernsey one ?

Great idea but beware though, because the downfall of the last club was due to media pressure!
Divers have traditionally been blamed for lots of misdemeanours & of course the decline of the Omer & the demise of the crayfish.
Blood thirsty men with lethal spearguns killing everything in the ocean sort of propaganda, stealing crabs from pots all that sort of thing became to much for the committee to be bothered with.
Several large open competitions also hit the headlines due to the amount of fish dragged up the beach.
Not to say there would be any animosity nowadays as the fish caught are so relatively few but for every spearo there are 1000 rod fishermen!
I'd become an active member Ed and happy to administer / help out in anyway possible.

I too think it would be good to have a club and keep records [emoji1360]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That hall of fame is great . How would you go about doing a guernsey one ?
Well we would just need someone to start a new thread with Guernsey records (or whatever) as the title & start afresh or you could transfer all the Guernsey entries from the HOF as a start.
It would not be difficult but would need someone to oversee the thread & except the entries.
Someone like Edd Portinfer or Magpie have the skills....

Reactions: portinfer
Well we would just need someone to start a new thread with Guernsey records (or whatever) as the title & start afresh or you could transfer all the Guernsey entries from the HOF as a start.
It would not be difficult but would need someone to oversee the thread & except the entries.
Someone like Edd Portinfer or Magpie have the skills....
I think that would be a good idea ! Be great to go on a thread and see all specimin catches from guernsey

Reactions: jerseydan
For those who saw my earlier video but aren't fans of seeing my belly...fixed it.

Attachments

• 2017-09-26 21.48.51.jpg
    2017-09-26 21.48.51.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: Kyle merrien
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT