• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2019

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Managed a quick 1hr dive this a.m before work. Took my first black bream of the year, no monster but happy with that. Hope to get a couple more dives in over the bank holiday weekend.
Happy and safe hunting everyone.

Attachments

• F33876B7-C39C-4F41-BEB2-26BB11B076E3.jpeg
    F33876B7-C39C-4F41-BEB2-26BB11B076E3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 258
A few dives recently, good scalloping session, started off finding plenty of empty pits where the scallops had been taken at around 6 meters, moved to the 7-8 meter mark and started finding quite a few, some area's 3-4 at a time. John and Edd came to say hello in the rib, after being tempted by a can of beer, John casually tells me my mask and snorkel had just sunk, John lent me his and I managed to luckily find it on the bottom, was pretty certain that was a gonna... Walking back up the steps on my own was hard going, think when you have other people with you it kind of encourages you not to stop for rests
Hadn't been out with the gun since the comp, and that was a bit of a wash out for me as was feeling a tad hungover from a mix of drinks the night before, plus the vis wasn't great and there was a fair chop. Went to an area I knew i'd find bass, the vis was patchy in places but I did see quite a few bass around the 3lb mark and managed to miss a load. Saw some bigger fish but couldn't get near them, took a mullet in the end.
Went out this morning and was in the sea at 6.15am, it was really quiet and the vis was not great but fishable, starting hunting around some large boulders and bootlace, saw a large silver shape swim in the distance, started to fin closer until I was hovering over one of the boulders looking down, the bass circled around and came towards me, right up close, got a shot in through the head and weighed 4lb 8oz gutted. The bass had an ormer/limpit or something like that in its stomach?? (pic below), not come across that before with a bass, but they do seem to eat just about anything. Plenty of diving this weekend and hopefully some of the other guys who have been catching over the last couple of weeks might post some stories/pics.

basspic23.JPG

IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg
bass15a.JPG

bass pic.JPG
bass pic2.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 256
That is amazing, an Ormer!
It looks like it has been scrubbed clean but I guess that could of been the stomach acids?
Perhaps the ormer had died and became detached from its shell... hard to imagine what actually happened?

Reactions: westcoaster
That is amazing, an Ormer!
It looks like it has been scrubbed clean but I guess that could of been the stomach acids?
Perhaps the ormer had died and became detached from its shell... hard to imagine what actually happened?

Just very strange, bass must have thought he’d
struck caviar gold

Very strange! Definitely looks like an ormer, and yes the grime might have been removed by it's stomach, but how did it get the shell off? Even if it was a dead ormer you'd think the scavengers like crabs and dog whelks would strip it long before a Bass got there. And the bit that normally attaches to the shell looks very cleanly cut. Someone using one for bait? Obviously illegal to have one at this time of year but not unknown for them to be kept in a freezer, though usually it's the goodfish, the guts, used for bait.

Looks like it was a good size ormer too!

4th dive today since last Wednesday today, was planning to go every day but was way too tired in the end for that! Todays dive I came across a big congregation of black bream, bass, thick lips mullet, and a Red Mullet, seen in the med a good few times while snorkelling where a red mullet is scurrying around in the sand, and the bream and other fish hang around hoping for a free meal. Was amazing to see and as I got closer i was scanning all the bream thinking a Gilthead might be in the mix, there wasn't one so picked out the biggest black bream and managed to miss the shot. Was epic to see and a shame its not a more common thing. Saw a decent 6lb-7lb bass chasing bait fish, good few bass around but not so many opportunities on taking a shot, this was much the same on the Friday outing - always good to get out!

Attachments

• black bream 1.JPG
    black bream 1.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 256
  • black bream 2.JPG
    black bream 2.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 261
  • black bream 3.JPG
    black bream 3.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 254
  • black bream 4.JPG
    black bream 4.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 252
nice pics mate. Go pro makes everything look small so those look like decent black bream to me. Must have been great to see.

Reactions: westcoaster
Made the most of a bank holiday weekend last week and dived 3 times. Sat and Sunday was very fishy in terms of bass and mullet, took a bass and watched plenty more. Been plenty of bass on most dives this year but very quiet on the 4lb and over size I find. Missed white bream on both days too.
Monday did some offshore diving, was foggy and super still and was pretty quiet on the bass and mullet side of things, viz was excellent though. Missed another white bream but a small gilthead saved the trip in the last hour. Thanks for the boat trip @Eddy1666 lovely little boat you have I’m always impressed with her.
2lb 6oz.
D08A2605-961E-4BB0-9615-9ACD2FD7A22B.jpeg
A8628039-BC32-4113-AC09-5D8F3AF0CC7F.jpeg
985A8476-DB5E-4D31-A522-1A41E137C083.jpeg
F56A0F14-12E4-4DF7-9B9F-ABDDB3D01241.jpeg

Shame there’s not many people posting their catches on here this year Mart. Plenty of people diving.

Hate fishing on big tides so went bottom hunting yesterday. Viz was ok and managed a few scallops and a couple of cuttles. In for 2hrs ish and definitely well worth it.

EF5BEAC6-0DBB-479C-8551-E56BF2A40D4D.jpeg

It is a huge shame mate, but we are still here and at least a few folk do post .

Nice write ups chaps and some seriously nice catches too. Lets hope the weather is kind to us over this month before we're forced to turn into night owls.

Hi all, just arrived in Guernsey yesterday on a sail boat. Currently in st Peter Port, but thinking of anchoring in Petit Port on the south coast - is the fishing ok round there? Promise to post any dive reports!

Tends to be a bit barren and sandy on the South coats beaches but you will need shelter from the wind today!
There was some string weed on the left looking out to sea but I have not been there for many years.
Saints bay has a nice sand bank and some reef.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT