• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2019

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Won’t upload the video for some reason! Some people think it may be a tuna.
5669E6E0-B472-425E-BE5B-3943557122F5.jpeg
293D7E9B-8F1E-4BD7-B18E-25B5A9ABA043.png
6B1DA655-152B-4D9A-8DE0-A8559CE51667.png
05187EB0-1A20-46BB-BE0B-FC04F25CCA2B.png

Last edited:
Now that is interesting! I really can’t say what that would be without more details though.
Was it a basking shark, or something else do you think?
Looks like a big tuna or a sort of dolphin but as I can’t see it swimming I can’t judge....
My money is on a tuna?

Last edited:
There is now a video of the big fish thing ... looks like a tuna but strange behaviour to be swimming alone in such shallow water?

I have some more questions, ranging form the seemingly simple to the rather outlandish:

1) Is there a good source that shows the types of flora and fauna the live at different levels on rocks around Sark that are sometimes underwater and sometimes abovewater? I'll take Guernsey or Jersey if that's available.

2) More specifically about the flora living on rocks that are sometimes above the water line: Barnacles. Are your kind sharp enough to draw blood if one either drags ones skin over them or puts ones weight on a bed of them (when above water)?

3) I doubt you've ever encountered a group of people underwater repeatedly pounding a bunch of flint stones the size one one's hand against the bottom of a wooden boat. But if you had, would that pounding have been audible form a distance in the water, or indeed from inside the boat?

4) Now I'm not asking if any of you got in a fist or even a knife fight underwater, but there anything any of you can say for how best one should move to be most effective (both attacking and savoring attacks) in such a circumstance?

You don't get any less random Eric!

1) Not off hand.
2) Certainly, plenty sharp enough.
3) Very audible, sound travels miles under water and you'd be effectively banging a big drum.
4) Bring a bigger knife. From my underwater fighting experience wide slashing roundhouse type strikes are far less effective than jabs as the water resistance slows down your arm movement far more, but your biggest problem is seeing whats going on as all the bubbles obscure your view. My most succesful underwater fights have been ones I've ended quickly, by having a bigger knife.

I have some more questions, ranging form the seemingly simple to the rather outlandish:

1) Is there a good source that shows the types of flora and fauna the live at different levels on rocks around Sark that are sometimes underwater and sometimes abovewater? I'll take Guernsey or Jersey if that's available.

2) More specifically about the flora living on rocks that are sometimes above the water line: Barnacles. Are your kind sharp enough to draw blood if one either drags ones skin over them or puts ones weight on a bed of them (when above water)?

3) I doubt you've ever encountered a group of people underwater repeatedly pounding a bunch of flint stones the size one one's hand against the bottom of a wooden boat. But if you had, would that pounding have been audible form a distance in the water, or indeed from inside the boat?

4) Now I'm not asking if any of you got in a fist or even a knife fight underwater, but there anything any of you can say for how best one should move to be most effective (both attacking and savoring attacks) in such a circumstance?

Reactions: foxfish
Alright lads. I've done a compilation video of my old Gopro footage, its certainly not as good as some of your video edits but only after putting the footage together do you realise the importance of having good quality footage! The first camera mount I made for the gun was pretty poor and it kept on flipping up or down when the gun was fired due to the recoil of the band (as you will see in the video) - I think I have fixed that now.

Spearfishing in Jersey C.I / UK in 2018 - Bass, Mullet & Bream

I had a brief chat with Foxfish and even though its all Jersey diving he said it was ok to post in your Guernsey thread.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT