• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

gun comparison?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
gotchya!

jay, you fruit! don't you know that's called a CHART!!!!!!!!! :D

if only randy snyder were here to see this! :eek:

Originally posted by icarus pacific

Go get 'im Jay...

sven

Hap, you just CAN'T leave yourself open like that with these dogs around! You're just encouraging them....they don't get out much ;)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

No,no, no-
I would of said 1in=1nm, although that would be better since a nm=6080ft whereas a statute mi=5280ft. OK I'll go w/ chart. And thats my final answer.
Jay

Helldivers Rodeo

You guys should try to make it to the Helldivers Rodeo June 6-9.
You can check out their site at www.helldivers.org. Its always a blast lots of food, diving, drink and of course, dive groupies.

Just for you Jay,
most of last years winners were using those girlie Euro guns I eluded to earlier.

Cheers,

a little wood is good...

Originally posted by SASpearo
... I've tried lumber - and I liked it.

talk about not getting out much...:hmm

should'a gone with leagues, Jay. I feel a thread coming on about slip tips...

sven

Re: Helldivers Rodeo

Originally posted by cjndiver

Just for you Jay,
most of last years winners were using those girlie Euro guns I eluded to earlier.

Cheers,

ARGGH! It's alluded , NOT eluded!!
When you elude something or someone, you're escaping from them. When you ALLUDE to something, you are directing the current conversation towards an opinion or topic.

As in, you're alluding to attending the Hell Diver's doings being a good time. From my experience, those yokels are dilluded.

sven DB's wordsmith and Jr High vocabulary reminder

english lessons

>those yokels are dilluded. <

Hey Sven!

You made a misteak.

Aloha
Bill

english lessons

Sorry, I flunked out of jr high. Spent too much time listening to KISS and hitting the bong.

Yikes!

He shoots fish, he cooks, he's a ladies man:inlove, and in his spare time he corrects grammar:ban. I'm in awe. I've got to say Sven you're going to make someone a good wife one of these days.rofl I think I'll go have a cup of kauphy now.
Jay

hmmm...

hahah, i check this thread a day later and we have gone from speargun comparison to grammar. go figure...

:confused: ;)

338 mag

Originally posted by Jay Styron
OK- first, 12ga.... com' on anything less than 10ga. is a waste of time.

That's why i prefer a .338 mag but the 12 is still the cheaper so you get more bang for the buck :D :duh

Bang for your buck?

Matey, you're doing something wrong .... if you get a eauro, you don't have to pay for banging .....

And as for the lumber bit, I was referring to good ol' teak pole, aka Riffe Blue Water ....

BTW, seems like Andrsn's also going for a Rob Allen ..... no wonder .... This was, of course, taken by a 'girlie euro' Rob Allen Railgun ....

263.9kg Black Marlin speared by Brad Neilson at Mapelane, Northern Zululand. (Pending World Record)
Equipment used: 1.4m Rob Allen Railgun with double -rubber muzzle. shaft: length 1.9m, 7.5mm diameter.

Attachments

• gallery4_large[1].jpg
    gallery4_large[1].jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 511
Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by Hapakid808
hahah, i check this thread a day later and we have gone from speargun comparison to grammar. go figure...

:confused: ;)

my english teacher would bu ashamed if she saw this, then again this would give me a good excuse to spell bad,,

"guns" eh, rofl

The most bang for you buck? Forget the wong hybrid, takes quite awhile to get used to. Dont get me wrong on the wong, its a nice gun I have a 55 in titanium hybrid. My friend uses a 55 in midhandle teak with good results also. But for simplicity and ease of use I would get a 110 omer or rob allen. My dive partner uses a 110 omer aluminum (the cheap 140$ one) and just scrapes when he wants fish. Easy to load and deadly accurate with a good price. alohas

Re: Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by thin_air

my english teacher would bu ashamed if she saw this, then again this would give me a good excuse to spell bad,,

"guns" eh, rofl

Ima surry if my mamma didn't learn me no good...

stick to hockey buddy...

happakid

i dont play no ice hockey...

Originally posted by Hapakid808

Ima surry if my mamma didn't learn me no good...

stick to hockey buddy...

happakid

hockey, who said i play hockey (well i play underwater but i dont think that is what you were refering to....)

ice hockey, what is it with you people and stereotypes, darn...:duh :duh (giving me a headache just thinking about it...)

Last edited:
sup before you buy a speargun you need to ask yourself what it is your going to hunt the most.
this will greatly have an affect of what type of gun to buy.
Generaly people use wood guns to shoot pelagic fish(tunas, marlin, wahoo) because they suposedly shoot farther and pack a bigger punch. However people are known to shoot big marlins with RAs.

By far European guns are easier to use( easier to load, easier to manuever in the water) and they are deadly accurate(doesnt matter what type to gun if you stone em).
If you do more reef hunting I would get a eurogun. I have a 75cm Omer excaliber and love it. its not the longest of guns but when I need to go into a whole its easy to get in and out. It also shoots alot farther than many people think. and its very accurate.
besides if you think you need more power you can always change your muzzle to accomadate two rubbers if you think you need it.

Most people that go reef hunting with wood guns only use 2 rubbers anyway. and thats to move that thick 9/32 shaft.

you could always make your own euro gun by buying a handle w/trigger mechanism from hanapaa, a pipe and a muzzle if you wanted to. Hanapaa sells muzzles that can house 2 or 3 rubbers depending on what you need.

well hope this helps

aaaaahh, last question...

Thanks a lot guys for all your help. I’ve been definitely convinced to wait a bit and perhaps save a little extra money away for a nice rig. Once you add in expenses for how much fresh fish you eat from the gun you buy, it’s definitely worth it to buy a quality gun. Sooooo I decided on the Yokooji hybrid BUT once again I started thinking for another 35 bucks I can get a Wong enclosed track…. Is it worth it? Is it any better than the hybrid? Its funny how within a week, my mind has changed about 15 times…

Hapakid

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT