• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hand made wooden gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
last july.....

Attachments

• me & grouper 2.jpg
    me & grouper 2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by maltaspearo
do you catch brown megers where you are memo

Malta,

We have the only freshwater species of that family. The fish is called Freshwater Drum, or Sheepshead. They are thick in our lakes, but we do not target them heavily because they don't have a lot of meat [for their size], and (imho) there are other fish that taste better. The meat is white, but not as firm as our Centrarchid species.

Nevertheless, when other species move to open-water in the winter, the Drum hang around. It'd be nice to put fish on the table even during the 'dry' times. So, I'd like to know how you prepare these fish.

Ted

Last edited:
Nice pictures maltaspero, but be more selective about groupers. like 1.5-2kg minimum.;)

To be honest i shoot few little grouper (around 1kg range) in my first year (last summer) and one or two this year too. But lately i had to opportunity to shoot around 2kg one and i decide to not shoot under 1.5kg by now... I will rise the minimum limit when i got bigger..:D

On the other hand the second pic. (big grouper) is monster... I liked AJ and dentex too... Keep posting if you have more pics..

BTW i wanted to go spearing today but couldn't coz had weight belt problem... I just couldn't find a way to put 9 kg (1 kg block) weight on it...:head Anyone know a way to put 9-10 * 1kg block one weight belt???

I will post my groupers pic. before frying it if i found a camera..:)

why dont you change some of your 1kg weights with 2kgs? I use 4X2kg and fits perfect :)

Just couldn't find 2kg blocks, i will look for it few more shop...

Murat, as far as I read from the board, you are mainly making shore diving dont you? (as 9kg show it too) Put 8kg at the weight belt and buy 0.5kg little sand bag ankle weights from a sports shop, this way you will catch the total 9kg and feel more comfortable.... Just an idea?

The gun that I made is just negative with two shafts, with one it floats. All the mass of the shafts makes for a very smooth shot, when all three are on the gun. The shafts are held in place by friction and I can reload in about 15-20 seconds. I often shoot two fish reload the gun, then go get the two I just shot. I no longer miss the big curious fish than comes around after one is shot. The Gun is 60 inches overall and I shoot 60" freeshafts. I can get 20' of range with one band.

nice numbers, but its not my cup of tea. I would prefer a single shaft, single shoot at a time...

murat i will tell you exactly how to put 9 kgs on a weight belt and use one kg weights. but first of all are you very thin around the waist.if you are it might not work. but if it doesnt i have more solutions i will post some picture. of the led weight i use

also i use if you can find it here in malta hunting is vert popular and most hunters use shot gun cartidges that are made by the shooting clubs around malta .most shooting ranges make there own shootgun carteiges. anyway the point is that if you can get some buckshot. (thats the led pelets in shootgun cartiges) from a shooting club.you can make little 1 or 2 kg bags of neoprean full of lead pelletts. another edea is if you have seen the DEPERIN MOVIE AGUATTO PROFONDU you will notice that he has a small flat peice of lead sown into his wetsuit just on his back. now i dont expect anybody to do this with their wetsuit but if you make a nylon vest i prefer nylon to neopream for the vest because using neopream will just add more bouancy. nylon is not bouant. and but pockets int the back part you can put led or led pellets into the vest.this is a link to show you what i am talking about http://www.omersub.com/omer/catalog/belts/p8.htm

wow uridna brown meager and freshwater drum look exactly the same except for the coloring. i like most of my fish fried in butter and garlic. but smetimes i steam my fish in the oven. here is how i do it. clean your fish grouper, sargo ,dentici, brown meager etc.
get a peice of tin foil but your fish inside the foil now but lemon luice on the fish, garlic , capers, olives, basil,sweet marjoram, and olive oil. put your foil with the fish inside a dish . shape the foil so it will hold te fish and everything inside and cover it with the foil dont forget everything has to be contained in th foil . I FORGOT SALT AND PEPER. NOW put it in the dish and in the oven and cook till the lemon oil almost dries up dont let it dry up add oil and lemon juice if it drys up in the oven and cook for about 3 more minuts. i think thats how my mom does it.:confused: :duh .
buy thw way murat those small grouper you saw in the pic i didnt catch .a young spearo gives me his fish to add to my fish so i can sell them for him at a local restaurnt. i tell him not to catch small fish but he still does. he will learn he better learn :rcard or ill cut his balls off:) lol. im going to my garage so i can get my lead belt so i can take a pic and show you how my weights are.

notice the streamline shape
of my weights they are very comfortable around the waist

Attachments

• picture 064.jpg
    picture 064.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 396
11 kgs on that belt and very comfortable i made the mold myself very easy to make.

Attachments

• picture 067.jpg
    picture 067.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 381
Reactions: Murat
you can also use two weight belts . this is very safe especially in winter with thick wet suits because you can always drop one if in dificulty.

Attachments

• picture 077.jpg
    picture 077.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 380
you can also use very thin bicycle inertubes filled with led pellets same cind of led from shotgun cartiges.as a led belt for your back or ankle weights. i made a pic but you dont have to be a jeneous to figure it out my drawing really sucks buy yhe way:duh

Attachments

• weight belt for back.bmp
    90.8 KB · Views: 295
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT