• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Horrible news just in .....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I read this a few hours ago, but was so shocked I didn't really truly realize and understand what had happened...But it is starting to flood me with very, very deep and profound sadness.

Loic was a truly exceptional person, not just because of his exceptional talent in diving. The Nice team has been the inspiration and spiritual mentor of our whole freediving scene. I would have felt privilidged to meet him even if I or he never had anything to do with diving. It is a horrible loss...

I offer my sincere condolences to his family, friends and team.

Last edited:
The french versions say the part of the sled that should have taken him back to the surface got stuck, without further explanations. A safety diver brought him up, but all cpr efforts were unsuccesful. A very sad day. My condolences to his family and friends.

This is so horribly sad... I never got to know Loic closely but he was a true champion and did a great job in promoting freediving.

Words come to my mind, from Baudelaire:
"Homme libre toujours tu chériras la mer!
La mer est ton miroir, tu contemples ton âme..."
"Free man, you will always cherish the Sea!
The sea is your mirror; you contemplate your soul..."

He died doing what he was living for... My deepest sympathy to all who loved him...

PS: here in France, some reports state that he was recovered unconscious ("way past black-out" they say, whatever that means... ) at 20m depth, after the system keeping him ascending got blocked...

I'm absolutely stunned, first news of the morning... :waterwork

My condolences to his friends and family, RIP.

Very sad, I never met him, but what I heard from him was always good. No Limits is not the only dangerous form of freediving. In the Mediterranean probably around 20 spearfishers die each year. My warmth and condolences to the family.

Rest in peace Loic
Sincere condolences to all of his family and friends

Vedrana

Croatia

I am deeply saddened and shocked by this news.
Loic was the most natural freediver I had the priviledge to meet. He trained me for 6 solid weeks in no limits and all the disciplines, selflessly and enthusiastically. We dived, just the two of us in the winter, in the place where Claude taught Loic. We had such fun. He shared so much. So many happy memories. He motivated and inspired so many. The team must be devastated. If Claude, Francios, Christophe, Cedric or any of the guys read this, please email me or call as I wish to attend the funeral. To Valerie and the kids, my prayers are with you.
First the wonderful, kind Audrey, now Loic. These were two of the kindest and generous people I met on my freediving adventure. What more to say?
So very sad.
Steve Truglia
steve@prostunts.net
tel: +44 (0)208 530 1530
cell: +44 (0)7985 621630
stfreedive3.jpg

steveandloicX300.jpg

steveandloic2X300.jpg

Reactions: island_sands
why is that all the good man die?:(:(
rest in peace good man!
I guess a little piece of us has gone with you...

Just un update for the circumstances (it sounds trivial I know...) I just watched the french news and an interview of Cedric from CIPA who was on the boat. Apparently, the dive was too long and the safety people decided to bring him up, when the sled got blocked at 20m. Maybe an incident at depth? Anyway... a sad day really...

Rest in Peace Loic.

I wish I could have had the privilege of meeting him. My thoughts are with you and your family.

My sincere condolences to his family, friends and his team.
I put my hope to the thought that Loic is in freedivingheaven with all the
great ambassadors of our sport, Mayol, Mestre and all the others that I'm
to sad to mention here right now.

Very, very sad news. I was fortunate enough to meet him at the London dive show a couple of years ago, and I remember thinking that he was a very nice person, and totally dedicated to freediving. He gave a talk about freediving and his record attempts, and afterwards I and some other UK freedivers talked to him for a little while.

My sincere condolences to all who knew him.

I now promise not to ever do No Limits freediving, for myself, my friends and family, all my freediving buddies and those on DB, and my pets. The cost is too great. :(

I would also like to see no more record attempts.

Lucia

this is the worst news. Loic and the team at CIPA were my inspiration from the start -not just in how to get deeper but in the more important skills of having a good time doing it, being relaxed in the water and not listening to the crazy obsessives who tell you have to give up cheese to be a good freediver!

My heart goes out to Cedric, Francois and all the gang in Nice, and of course to Valerie and the children.

Maybe not many people know but Deepest Bear also has a lot to thank Loic for. The very idea came from a photo in Freediver magazine of Loic entitled "The Deepest Man in the World" and Loic was very supportive of Deepest Bear's training! He took him down on the sled several times and Loic and Guillaume even took Deepest Bear on the Afghanistan adventure.

I have a lot to thank Loic for and will miss him greatly.

Peace

Sam and The Bear
x

Attachments

• dbanddm.jpg
    dbanddm.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
This news is just terrible. My condolences to his family and friends.

I don't think that banning no-limits is the solution. As banning airplanes is not the solution to airplane crashes. I think this deserve an investigation to find out what was wrong. I don't know, maybe AIDA should have a commission to evaluate freediving accidents, that's the best way to learn.

Reactions: AltSaint
Terrible news...It's hard to realize...He was a great Man and a very exceptional person...The Sea started to take the best people...He paid special attention to safety and standed for a safe freediving...Condolences to his family and friends...It's hard but be brave to keep on...
Natalie Avseenko

Tragic news. I didn't know Loic, but know people who loved and respected him and also know what it feels like to lose a close friend so early in life.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Sara.

this is heartbreaking and indeed very sad.

my thoughts go to the many people who love Loic,
and especially to his wife and family.

Nico Danan or Steve Truglia or others, if any of you find out more information
about ways to support his family, (if they set up a fund in memoriam) perhaps you can post the details here as I'm sure the whole DB family would like to contribute.

may there be peace...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT