• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how do you cook fish on BBQ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
In any case and whichever method you use, the answer is 'quickly'. Fish are fully cooked at a much lower temperature than either birds or mammals so fergawdsake don't overcook them.

Reactions: SubSub
One thing I learned tonight is that cooking a commercial tilapia fillet on a ribbed grill on the stove top is a substandard idea. That's a fish that needs to be sautéed in clarified butter, preferably with a good breading including herbs-of-your-preference and served with fresh lime or lemon. Some fish take well to grilling. Tilapia will only do that whole--and maybe not even then. Back to salmon!

Reactions: Mr. X
This works well when you are beach camping in Baja . Filet the snapper or grouper rub both sides of filet with olive oil and place in a fish grill that clamps down so you can turn it over. Start an acacia fire or mesquite and create a good bed of coals , get some yams roasting then cook the filets over the coals quickly as soon as the flesh is no longer transparent it’s done. Over cooking is something you really don’t want to do to fresh fish. Season with salt and pepper, butter for the yams, fabulous simple meal the hardwood coals impart a subtle flavour into the fish.

I often do this with salmon, but also white fish as well, on a Webber BBQ / kettle.
I slice the fillets, a bit like sashimi. Then I marinate it a while with what ever is at hand, often olive oil, salt and pepper herbs what ever.
Then I just put the fish on a piece of ceder. Then when my veges or meat is just about done I put the slab of wood on the grill. throw a handfull of
smoked wood chips on the coals, put the lid on. And bam, its cooked in no time with a bit of a smoky flavour. It is simple and tasty.
I use ceder simply as I have lots of it, other wood would be fine, but dont use pine.

I cooked idiots, whole fishes, two per plank, this way and it turned out great. My Webber barbecue runs on gas, so I had to adjust. Bought wood chips and stainless holder for chips. Chips were from old bourbon aok barrels, interesting flavour but I will try something different next time.

Glad it worked out well. I am using apple or walnut chip at the moment, pretty good.

If I know I'm going to be using a grill then I leave the scales and skin on but remove the whole fillet from the frame and remove any bones. Season with whatever on the flesh side and put it skin side down on the grill over really hot heat. Put the lid on the grill. It only takes about 5 minutes but you should be able to get a spatula between the now charred skin and the nicely cooked flesh so that you can serve it without the skin. Essentially the skin acts like aluminium foil but retains all of the natural flavour and fat.
Get some baking paper and lay it out with a few slices of lemon and place the fish on them. Put some more slices on top of the fish then wrap the whole thing up in baking paper. Then wrap in foil and put it on the BBQ. Turn it over when you think one side is done (you will need to experiment a few times - so go shoot fish ...)

Reactions: Andrew the fish
If I know I'm going to be using a grill then I leave the scales and skin on but remove the whole fillet from the frame and remove any bones. Season with whatever on the flesh side and put it skin side down on the grill over really hot heat. Put the lid on the grill. It only takes about 5 minutes but you should be able to get a spatula between the now charred skin and the nicely cooked flesh so that you can serve it without the skin. Essentially the skin acts like aluminium foil but retains all of the natural flavour and fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Andrew the fish
Folks please share your ways of using BBQ for cooking fish. Apparently simply throwing fish into the flames doesn't work very well. Fish turns out kind of dry. There must be better ways of cooking it on the grill.

I'm an experienced cook. Dryness is not a result of the method but the time / heat continuum and of course the type of fish and the cut, and whether it has been previously frozen. Make an offset fire (or gas only on one side) and place your fish on the opposite side. A whole fish or steaks are better suited for this as filets may break apart. There is usually no need to turn it, just let it bake and gently remove, slide a metal spatula under all sides to release the adherence to the grill before removing.

I'm a fish lover and I like to eat fish in all its forms. But the most special I love to cook it on the grill. I have almost three types of grill, and at all the same problem that I can't keep the fish from sticking to the grill. Maybe I didn't cook it well, or just the grill was horrible. I bought the fourth grill from reading some reviews on https://www.thewindupspace.com/best-grill-for-apartment-balcony/ fortunately, I didn't encounter the same problem. My best recipe is to buy fish, you may choose branzino, salt, extra-virgin olive oil, freshly ground pepper, 1 clove garlic, 2 slices of lemon, and 4 parsley stems for stuffing. Brush the fish with all this stuff, and stuff it with the garlic, lemon, and parsley. Grill it at moderately high heat.
This comment is not necessarily directed towards you, larkyan, Just expanding on your idea and providing some info for those interested/unfamiliar...

That's just about word-for-word how i prepared this tilapia, an invasive species in Texas. The fish was scaled and scored to promote even cooking and allow more of the seasoned oil to get into the meat. The fish is done once the meat starts flaking and the skin peels back easily.

As far as preventing from sticking, make sure to oil your meat rather than the grill. Also, ensure your cooking surface is sufficiently hot before adding fish. I agree with BB above when he says flipping is not necessary when cooking indirect, though, I prefer this method of hard searing the skin over coals (requires a flip). If your finished product is dry, you're not doing it right. Whole grilled fish is my favorite preparation but may not be appropriate for all fish or all dinner guests.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 323
I built a barbeq at home.Made of concrete blocks, bricks ,Concrete, fire retardent materials.Burn alot of wood pieces timber.Then when flames stop place fish on mesh or other preference,.i have a distance o 30 40 cm abouve hot charcoals,Fish tail area towards your front ! cooks quickly,.On the Beach make a fire pit with good stone perimeter build fire keep loading with wood pieces then when flames are very dead or low cook.You could use bamboo or Shore hard wood pieces to maintain fish suspended abouve heat.Dont use your gun spear shaft it shall bend ,.Those 30 euro barbeqs that lay redundent in garden then go from black to rust irritate me alot when the life span be very little.,You could choose to Build a tower barbeq some clay bricks or stones or mixed 40 50 cm high with out mortar, cement allow for air current inlets on structure,.To close to hot charcoals you burn fish the centre distance of the meat shall be raw the outer body of the fish charcoal dry ,.Two three minuets before finishing the cooking of fish add a blended Olive oil mixed with fresh Rosemarrie with Garlic blended,.You could use Tarragon,Dill,.Dry bread crumbs garlic ,fresh rosemarrie little olive oil dry blended then coat 4 5 minuets before conclusion of cooking

Reactions: Leander
...add a blended Olive oil mixed with fresh Rosemarrie with Garlic blended,.You could use Tarragon,Dill,.Dry bread crumbs garlic ,fresh rosemarrie little olive oil dry blended then coat 4 5 minuets before conclusion of cooking
hey wait a minute here. So, mix olive oil with rosemarine - how much rosemarine, and do I grind rosemarine needles or just toss them in? Garlic, is it crushed or minced and how much garlic? Bread crumbs, mixed dry with garlic again? Jonny can you please go over the process once more, I am little lost. Do I coat the fish with crumbs and olive oil while it is cooking? Do I mix olive oil with crumbs to make a paste or do I dust the fish and sprinkle with oil later?

I really like grilling fish or any food for that matter on planks and wraps of cedar and alder. Works well with the lighter white fish and delicate ones like trout. Wildwood Grilling is a company that makes them where I live. They are great for camping as they are disposable, double as plates, firewood and cutting boards.
1606351449821.png

It sounds to me like you overcooked it.

I kinda make a mess of my bbq fish, but it pays to constantly check when the meat slips off the bone, because once it does you gotta take it off right away.

!blender electrical appliance( good to make bread crumbs(.Olive oil fresh rosemarrie clove of garlic blend together., Depending on the Barbeque and size of fish, cook time heat intensity add at chosen time with brush oil garlic rosemarrie premixed.,! Dried bread crumbs with oil garlic rosemarrie dont immerse bread crumbs in oil mix to a damp consistancy. Apply to internal of gutted area when cleaned add bread crumb mix near to half way cooked on outer parts different heats and distancing from charcoals !this is the reason i cannot be precise on time to coat fish,.you could use other herbs to other fish dill, oreganno .bay leaf.Baytree seed good on red meat. corriander coconut oil .I have many of these plant in my garden.Not the coconut tree obviously,. This oil mix garlic rosemarrie with salmon steaks is added 2to 3 minuets before cooking ends that one is a winner.,The mix is not to a thick paste alike genova sauce for pasta.The oil herb mix is with a runny with a heavy green colour I personally dont use salt pepper ! if very little I find people who smoke use alot of salt due to bad taste buds driving them selfs to dehydration and further ill health.

If you put Rosemarrie whole including the stock or twig in to a Elecric blender you shall come to realise that you make a mistake .Although you maybe confuse the rosemarie with basil. Basil stock and leaf you could blend in a blender basil is good with tomatoe, Pasta ,Pizza sauce e.c.t.

Europe, Usa! no wild cabbage .Then try using dock leafs for a rapping 8 or 6 bamboo or branch ends tie head and tail end to create a secure fish basket retainnig fish put 30 cm to 40 cm abouve your make shift barbeque hot charcoals you could also inlude in the rapped fish wild welsh garlic leaf this garlic leaf grows wild on embankments of river locations

Absolutely! Barbecuing fish is a fantastic way to impart smoky flavors while keeping the fish moist and flavorful. Here are a few methods and tips for BBQing fish:

1. Grilling Whole Fish:

• Ingredients:
    • Whole fish (such as sea bass or snapper), cleaned and scaled
    • Olive oil
    • Lemon slices
    • Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme)
    • Salt and pepper
  • Instructions:
    1. Make sure the fish is cleaned and scaled. Pat it dry with paper towels.
    2. Score the fish on both sides to help it cook evenly.
    3. Rub the fish with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
    4. Stuff the cavity with lemon slices and fresh herbs.
    5. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
    6. Grill the fish for about 4-6 minutes per side, depending on thickness, until the flesh is opaque and easily flakes with a fork.

2. Grilling Fish Fillets or Steaks:

• Ingredients:
    • Fish fillets or steaks (salmon, trout, swordfish)
    • Marinade or rub of your choice (lemon, garlic, herbs, and olive oil work well)
    • Salt and pepper
  • Instructions:
    1. Marinate the fish fillets or steaks for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
    2. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
    3. Remove the fish from the marinade, letting excess drip off.
    4. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Fish is done when it flakes easily.

3. Using Cedar Planks:

• Ingredients:
    • Cedar planks
    • Fish fillets (salmon works well)
    • Marinade or rub
    • Lemon slices
  • Instructions:
    1. Soak cedar planks in water for at least 1-2 hours before grilling.
    2. Preheat the grill to medium heat.
    3. Place marinated fish fillets on the cedar planks.
    4. Add lemon slices on top.
    5. Grill with the lid closed for about 12-15 minutes. The plank will infuse the fish with a smoky flavor.

Tips for BBQing Fish:​

• Ensure the grill grates are clean and well-oiled to prevent sticking.
  • Use a fish basket or foil for delicate fish to avoid it falling apart.
  • Keep the skin on the fish for extra flavor and to help it hold together.
  • Control the heat; fish cooks best over medium to medium-high heat.
  • Don't overcook; fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
Experiment with different marinades, rubs, and types of fish to find your favorite combination. Happy grilling!

visit HH Processors

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT