• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you pass the Winter?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
still summery over here, 23 degrees (celsius that is) so pretty much the same action going on :)

I shoot clay pigeon in the winter and ft airgun competitions been today and my shoulder is killing me. As for hunting rabbits and pigeons .:)

Here in the Channel Islands the weather is Stormy but a mild 15c. Ironically the bass shoal up at this time of year, huge quantities appear for several mouths but it is too dangerous for us spearos to try for them. The commercial fleet hammer the big bass by trolling lines around the shoals making it impossible to dive in the area.
We still dive until January unless the weather is really bad (like now) & then start again in April, although I did spear a bass last March!
So there is only a month or two to repair gear & buy new kit ready for the spring. :)

hey it was 18degC in Dubai today! and hasnt' stopped raining all day... unbelievable. the Rugby 7s was underwater.. :D

island_sands said:
hey it was 18degC in Dubai today! and hasnt' stopped raining all day... unbelievable. the Rugby 7s was underwater.. :D
yeah, mikha called me today and told me all about it seems a bit strange..i wouldnt want to be in that rugby 7's match today :crutch

It's bass and amberjack season here, water temp 9°C, my 5mm open cell wetsuit said "Hi!" to me from the cabinet this morning, and I replied "Hi! Still hanging there?". And there it hangs: I'm in family emergency nowadays as my beloved wife nearly broke her neck and has three vertebrae "left of center". Took her to clinic for nuclear magnetic resonance yesterday, wishing well for results to be released wednesday. Watching lots of cartoons with my baby daughter and reading fairy tales for her. I bought six bottles of Barolo at a mortgage price.

spaghetti said:
It's bass and amberjack season here, water temp 9°C, my 5mm open cell wetsuit said "Hi!" to me from the cabinet this morning, and I replied "Hi! Still hanging there?". And there it hangs: I'm in family emergency nowadays as my beloved wife nearly broke her neck and has three vertebrae "left of center". Took her to clinic for nuclear magnetic resonance yesterday, wishing well for results to be released wednesday. Watching lots of cartoons with my baby daughter and reading fairy tales for her. I bought six bottles of Barolo at a mortgage price.

Spaghetti,

Good heavens!!! I'm sorry to hear about the emergency!! Is Mrs. Spaghetti going to be okay? Very best wishes your family and especially to your wife for a swift and full recovery!!!!

Best thoughts,
Jeanette

Reactions: spaghetti
I was on the leading edge of that big storm that just went through. we only got a few inches by my house, but my in-laws, and mom, got hit with a good foot of the white stuff just 80 miles east of here. The really funny, or should I say "sad", part of it is the downhill ski areas just to the west of me got NO snow!:confused:

I'm hoping to get my three year old out down hill skiing this winter. She's been out cross country skiing once already and now we have a decent snow cover to do a bit more. This weekend is all about putting up the decorations and buying a Christmas tree.

Lakes are all still wide open and should be for the next month. Vis actually gets a lot better in the inland lakes this time of year so I plan on some diving as well.

There's a hot water outlet that stays open all winter as long as the power plant is on. Last winter it was off for a while so not the best for diving. In year's past it was always good for a quick dip to play with the fish and try out some new gear.

Jon

Cold and (soon to be) snowy here in Ohio.....so it's my time to hit the 12' deep pool once a week to freedive and work on technique, and the regular pool 2x a week to swim laps. That, and everyone's favorite, STATIC TABLES!! Yay!! Ack!! And, ye old apnea exercises on the eliptical machine...

Todd

Woohoo, static tables. Enjoy that.

It's two week until finals here. Time for the crunch...

Consider this a get-well email to la spaghettina! My wife was whiplashed in an auto accident years ago and still has spasms and neck pain regularly because of it. The only upside is that it gives me a chance to make her feel good with a massage . . . ;)

Spaghetti, so sorry to hear sad news. Hope everything works out. Best wishes to you, your wife and family.

As my brother Foxfish mentioned here in the Channel Isles we are still diving - weather permitting. This is night diving season when the red mullet, soles, the last of the plaice, squid and bass are all inshore in the dark. It lasts 'til January when the water temp drops into single figures and the fish disappear allowing a few months of rest and recuperation (especially from night diving in wet suits in 8 degree water).

Here too its Christmass deccy time. Tonight am fishing out the tinsel and streamers, lights and ornaments. No snow on the ground here as that's as rare as 20lb bass and with global warming may never happen again. Still even if it fell it would be blown away as we have force 9 winds - again!!!

Dave

Last edited:
All the best to Mrs. Spaghetti also from Germany!
I hope all ends well.
Richard

Sorry to hear the bad news Spaghetti :(
Hope the signora gets well very soon.

I also dive regularly (at least twice a week) even if the water is geting colder every day. Today was 11 degrees. Until it gets down to 8-9 degrees I will dive. Its flatfish season here ;)

Thanks for solidarity: you're my candidates for the DB Community Spirit Award! Hoping all is well, wednesday the NMR results.
But now clouds off this thread, which is intended to keep the community warm in the cold season.
Did I ever tell you when I scared the poo out of an amberjack? It was a couple winters ago, end of november. I had been trying and trying in vain to get those AJ's close and I was finally disillusioned to get any for the day. But then she appeared, swimming straight towards the tip of my spear as I was hiding behind some kind of rocky weedy step. The fish was almost within the reach when she suddenly noticed me, stopped her swimming, rolled her eyes and...POO!
She made it out right in front of me, just a few centimeters too far to be shot. She scared to sh..., I totally surprised from her "unusual" reaction. I was still watching that brownish cloud in the water when she gave a good blow with her tail and disappeared. I told my buddy about this, and he said "I never told you, but many people have the same reaction wen they see you".
:vangry

spaghetti

hope your family is back on track soon. they sure take a lot of film to tell you its broken. I can sympathize with her on that one. the best advice they gave me was just relax and let the drugs do their job. The doctors will do theirs.:crutch

to Answer the thread

wake up
do laps
work
shovel snow
Sleep yadda yadda yadda:mad:

spaghetti said:
Did I ever tell you when I scared the poo out of an amberjack?
Now there's a bedtime story for your daughter!
icon10.gif
The oceans are one big septic tank. Your story reminds me -- my mother used to cook skate wing, until my father said that skate wings don't excrete. Anyone know if this is true?

Re: thread -- dry statics (chiseling away towards my 4min goal) and swimming for me... reading and learning more about the sport from all of you here... dreaming up new things I want to see/do before I go into "permanent decommission" (Blue Hole, Natal Sardine Run - or any big bait ball, learn to blow bubblering)... work^10, some knitting, a little holiday baking...

This is kind of fun if you have a few wintry seconds to fritter away...
http://snowflakes.lookandfeel.com/

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT