• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Indie/Minor Speargun Companies

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
That will be the early "Sea Hornet" mechanism, the sear box tube is chromed brass with brazed on vertical stainless steel posts front and rear. Stainless steel side plates are spot welded to the posts to form the sides of the cassette. The plastic moulded cassette was much more economic to make for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Don Paul
Now, this. From Italy, another classy euro wood make: Necton Sub.
Nothing revolutionaire, but they are particularily well made and finished. :p
Wood choice is up to the customer: notice the beautiful Olive wood of the handle in the first pic:

Attachments

• necton1.jpg
    necton1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 247
  • necton4.jpg
    necton4.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 251
  • necton5.jpg
    necton5.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 238
  • necton6.jpg
    necton6.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: Mr. X and Don Paul
And from the United States of America, here come Bona Fide spearguns.
Various types of weapons in their portfolio, mid handle and rear handle, hybryds, plus something really special (pic 1): an overunder gun with two triggers and two shafts!!! :inlove

Attachments

• bona3.jpg
    bona3.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 241
  • bona1.jpg
    bona1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 240
  • bona2.jpg
    bona2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 237
Both look really well made. The American one would be too big for our modest fish and visibility but I particularly like the look of Necton Sub - is that one your own speargun Spaghetti? Do you have the URL for their website?

I just came across this Italian company: http://www.gimansub.it/

ban1.jpg

They have a speargun boutique :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I particularly like the look of Necton Sub - is that one your own speargun Spaghetti? Do you have the URL for their website?

No it's not my gun, though I'd really pic Olive wood if I had to order a custom gun in Italy.

Fact is I happen to have a fabulous custom gun on order for myself, but it's being made by...........a Briton!!! :)

GimanSub makes definitely firts class guns. They've already had their spot in this Indie/Minor thread: http://forums.deeperblue.com/spearo-board/85475-indie-minor-speargun-companies-2.html#post795980.
This ink-decorated model (pic below) is a true masterpiece!

Attachments

• ink.jpg
    ink.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
No it's not my gun, though I'd really pic Olive wood if I had to order a custom gun in Italy.

Fact is I happen to have a fabulous custom gun on order for myself, but it's being made by...........a Briton!!! :)
Interesting :) - anybody I know? With current exchange rates, it probably makes sense for you guys to buy from us than vice versa, as was previously the case.

The wooden guns often look sensational but I like the clean lines of the Necton and the minimal but really solid looking hardware.

I wasn't sure about the handle detail on the Gimansub at first but I now think it looks interesting and quite practical. Again, nice robust looking metal work :).

Last edited:
Bumped into these guns another day. I will be honest with you, I think that they look pretty... awkward, but their functionality is quite impressive.
Its a Russian brand "Taimen" and their main direction is pneumatic guns. Thats the info I was able to found on their pneumo-vacuum flagman PVrm1000. (apparently there is a PV1200 (120cm))
Specs:
Length(no shaft) 105cm
Weight(with shaft) app.925gr
Shafts: 6,5/7/8
Eff. range 8m(!!!) <<<<< thats what gets my heart beating faster...
taimen_big.jpg

That handle will be haunting me every night from now on =]
Is it true that the deeper you go - the stronger does the pneumo-vacuum gun shoot?

Bumped into these guns another day. I will be honest with you, I think that they look pretty... awkward, but their functionality is quite impressive.
Its a Russian brand "Taimen" and their main direction is pneumatic guns. Thats the info I was able to found on their pneumo-vacuum flagman PVrm1000. (apparently there is a PV1200 (120cm))
Specs:
Length(no shaft) 105cm
Weight(with shaft) app.925gr
Shafts: 6,5/7/8
Eff. range 8m(!!!) <<<<< thats what gets my heart beating faster...
taimen_big.jpg

That handle will be haunting me every night from now on =]
Is it true that the deeper you go - the stronger does the pneumo-vacuum gun shoot?

The 8 metre range claim has been disputed elsewhere, so I would not get my hopes up, plus it depends on the gun's length as well. The vacuum barrel is less affected by ambient pressure increase as only the spear diameter faces the external pressure, not the piston diameter.

Reactions: Mr. X
THanks for the Explanation, Pete.
I have never ever used a pneumatic gun, so my knowledge in the subject is pretty shallow.
But there is a video on youtube where some spearo (Russian, duh) shoots a target @7,8,9 m with a 120cm version of the gun. But everywhere I looked, guys are pretty short on any info. There is another video of a guy shooting a tuna/grouper with these guns, but the grouper part seemed pretty easy to me. He approached a calm grouper and shot @max4m away from the fish. The tuna part is more controversial.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/apoxru?blend=21&ob=5#p/u/6/2L7thvNPyrM]apoxru's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

At that range, could have speared that last fish with my humble 75cm band gun. :D

Has President/Premier/President/Premier/etc.* Putin been filmed spearfishing yet? (I think he was SCUBA diving on TV last week.)

*Ain't democracy great :D

Last edited:
THanks for the Explanation, Pete.
I have never ever used a pneumatic gun, so my knowledge in the subject is pretty shallow.
But there is a video on youtube where some spearo (Russian, duh) shoots a target @7,8,9 m with a 120cm version of the gun. But everywhere I looked, guys are pretty short on any info. There is another video of a guy shooting a tuna/grouper with these guns, but the grouper part seemed pretty easy to me. He approached a calm grouper and shot @max4m away from the fish. The tuna part is more controversial.
apoxru's Channel - YouTube

I have now added the "Taimen" component parts list with photos here: http://forums.deeperblue.com/pneuma...ssian-pneumovacuum-speargun-3.html#post862637

That will be the early "Sea Hornet" mechanism, the sear box tube is chromed brass with brazed on vertical stainless steel posts front and rear. Stainless steel side plates are spot welded to the posts to form the sides of the cassette. The plastic moulded cassette was much more economic to make for obvious reasons.

I have just found out from the company, via an associate, that the sear box tube is stainless steel; dark marks in surface scratches on it are just rust specks, not a parent material showing through plating. Interestingly a magnet will not stick to the tube, but it will to the other stainless steel parts of the cassette. The posts were silver soldered onto the tube after heating up the metal parts.

Just tried a smaller magnet and the cassette is not magnetic, it is only sticking where the levers are inside the cassette, not to the cassette itself. The levers are riveted in, so I cannot remove them without drilling the pivot pin ends out. Moving away from where the levers and biasing leaf spring are located in the housing the magnet falls off.

Last edited:
Allez la France!
Here's the only french builder of boutique spearguns I have heard of so far: GOMS (Guns of Marseilles), a brand founded by a young woodartist named Olivier Tardivat. His creations look very essential, with little or no bling bling, but apparently well made and tough. Here's some close shot of the Guns of Marseilles.

Attachments

• tardivat1.gif
    tardivat1.gif
    86.9 KB · Views: 255
  • tardivat2.gif
    tardivat2.gif
    71.2 KB · Views: 255
  • tardivat3.gif
    tardivat3.gif
    86.9 KB · Views: 249
And for the very big ones: Mosasaur Hunter. In its kind, a true work of art. But don't ask me if it does exist in the real world.
One only thing to say: I want one! :martial

Attachments

• mosa.jpg
    mosa.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 331
I saw this some years ago, it only exists as a concept, or it was back then. Just shows how realistic computer rendering can be with near photo-quality images.

I like the GOMs, reminds me of Portinfer's speargun. As for the spear Gattling gun...that way lays madness :D

Hey guys, just found these guns online. Its a Turkish company called Nitrosub. (Nitrosub=Pala=Kalite)
Prices are awww-so good. Guns look pretty sweet, but I never had a chance to use them. For those of you, who can figure out the prices on the website: TL400 is roughly $240. the reel is $60.
Yeah, they do have more pics on their facebook page, its registered under "nitrosub"

Attachments

• nitro.jpg
    nitro.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 236
  • nitro 2.jpg
    nitro 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 224
  • nitro 3.jpg
    nitro 3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: Don Paul
Amazing for that $, thanks for the link. The shape is outstanding at the muzzle.

Cheers, Don Paul

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT