• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland Spearing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dont suppose anyone is around Ballyliffin this weekend? Im there sat and sun and might bring my stuff over... Maybe inc a torch..... any idea of viz etc or should i just not bother?

cheers all!

Patrick

Johnny viz is excellent at the moment 8-10m last sunday Philipe was out in the harbour yesterday and had about 8m should be good at the Island as well as its 4 miles offshore

Hi Feargus, your right it was BR. Best of luck to everyone heading out to Inishmurray over the weekend. I've caught some big Pollack out there on rod and line in the past. Should be some good hunting

Fabulous Day out , even better Night out !!! Thanks Feargus !!!

No compromising photos :D

Re: UK and Ireland Forum Dashboard discussion thread

hi i was just wondering is there any law about selling sea urchins in ireland i was told by somebody that u can but just wanna check with u guys first dont wanna mess things up for everybody else thx

Left cork just before 5am after 4 hrs sleep and arrived in mullaghmore at 9:01am as neal pointed out to me. 1 minute late. Must work on my punctuality.
Well basically we took a rib to the island in the morning. We dived the shit out of it. All I saw was conger and wrasse. Danas got two nice mullet. When the boat returned with the other 4 we had a sambo and a beer and walked across the island to the other side. We dived there and again got nothing and saw nothing.
Walked back through the bog and I managed to get stuck up to my knee. Nice......
Back to the boat and all 8 of us got on the 6M rib with a 90 2stroke and topped 13kts. It was a long trip back.
We dive thumb rock for 20 mins and saw some small pollock. Feargus got a goldfish:)
Back to freediveireland shop for some fish with top secret marinade and more beer. Watched ocean men and went to bed at 10pm..........then slept walked to the pub and stayed there till 2am.
Next morning the wind was up so we didn't dive(nothing to do with hangovers, whatsoever) so I went back to bed till 1pm to catch up on sleep. Woke to find my keys were in Sligo with Neal and Stephen. Sound.......more sleep. On the road at 2 and home for 6:30
Great weekend. Thanks to Feargus for everything.
In other news, I started my new job today. Happy days.

Good man Johnny! Sounds like a fab weekend, shame I missed it :(
You hardly expected fish... sure you were outta Cork Boi ;)

hi i was just wondering is there any law about selling sea urchins in ireland i was told by somebody that u can but just wanna check with u guys first dont wanna mess things up for everybody else thx

Hi Trev, I don't know what the law is on this but in my personal opinion it's immoral to sell any of the bounty of the sea. No one breeds it or feeds it so no one should take more than their friends and family can eat.
Once money comes into it your urchin spots will certainly suffer, as do scallop spots, bass spots etc. etc.

Reactions: bobdonny
Yeah fish were not to plentiful but the craic was in good supply. It was my first time on the Island and I reckon I will be back. I did have the shit scared out of me in a gulley by a seal and I scared the shit outa him. Serious case of loud noise underwater and massive grey thing from a cave bolting beside me. Took us both a few minutes to calm down and then he stayed on the edge of the vis. Crossing was tough on the way out but alright if slow on the way back. If I have more numbers nest year I will try and book the bigger boat. Also we never decided who won the comp its between Neal and Danas. Should have a few pics n vids up in a while I hope but this pc is slow as christmas.

no probs just curious thats all when we went out saw hundreds of them thought shellfish might me different story than fish thx for the reply ill take it on board. been doin it for 3 yrs now and never came across so many before and some scuba diver told me he used sell them. thx sunfish

no probs just curious thats all when we went out saw hundreds of them thought shellfish might me different story than fish thx for the reply ill take it on board. been doin it for 3 yrs now and never came across so many before and some scuba diver told me he used sell them. thx sunfish

After a little research on Google it seems that harvesting Sea Urchins was very big in Ireland back in the 70's, but due to overfishing, stocks crashed and the sea urchin was practically wiped out in many areas. This overfishing was not confined to Ireland and many countries went about wiping out their stocks also.

From what I can gather they are harvested for their Roe which is used for making sushi in Asian countries like Japan, where they are considered a highly prized delicacy, but there does not seem to be any kind of domestic demand for them here in Ireland at the moment as a food source.

There are a couple of enterprises in Cork that are farming the Sea Urchin for the export market and for restocking areas that were once wiped out. An Irish developed aquaculture farming system called UP (Urchin Platter - unique in the world and patented) has proved to be commercially viable and sustainable in their production.

As Sunfish said its fine to feed yourself and family but to target them commercially would be irresponsible and short lived as the stocks would dwindle as before. If you are looking for a commercial venture involving the Sea Urchin, you could have a look at this article and maybe start up a sea weed production business to feed them...there's a demand for it.

inshore-ireland.com - Development of artificial feeds to benefit sea urchin farming

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT