• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland Spearing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just a quick thanks again to Fergus for organising a great weekend up in sligo. I think everybody really enjoyed themselves even with the lack of fish.
I'm looking forward to next year!!

Guys

Just wondering if you know why the vis is so poor. Up North we have had offshore winds and no surf for at least 10 days and yet both times at two different spots I have been in the vis has been real poor, 2-3m and total murk beyond. This is no matter how deep or how far out we are. It seems to be loads of very light coloured particles.

As some of you will know it takes a lot of hard work and household chores to get a pass and then when you go out expecting great clarity to find murk its not great. Just wondering if there is any way of working out when this stuff is going to muck up the water.

Thanks a lot.

Steve

It's the bloom. Exceptionally bad this year unfortunately. Your not alone man. It sucks but it's getting better. Sept is best month for spearfishing so fingers crossed.

With all the rain I suppose more slurry and nitrogen than normal has been washed off the land and has ended up in the sea. This will have contributed to the blooms we've had this year.
It's been so bad down here that levels of e coli have risen above EEC levels on a lot of beaches.

I also wanna say a massive thanks to Feargus for organising the weekend the sambos and BBQ were brilliant and everyone had a great laugh.
With regards to the sea urchins just as Sunfish said the type harvested and grown commercially are not the ones we commonly see i.e the large pink/purple and white variety. Its the smaller longer spiked darker variety you can see it here along with a recipe from one of the only Irish chefs to use them Thorntons Restaurant. The larger urchins have very little roe in them for there size and arent to the Japense taste. Either way I would also not like to see someone collecting them from the wild for profit.

Danas should win the competition he shot the fish I only cooked it.
" The Secret Marinade/Paste" is actually very simple if have access to an asian food store.
2 desertspoons chile paste
1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste
1 desertspoon fish sauce
1 desertspoon garlic and ginger paste
juice of half a lime
a good dash of kikkoman
small dash of peanut oil
I make my own chile paste but if you can find the " Mae Ploy" brand its almost as good. The shrimp paste comes in either a small tub or a block if its in block form just break off a chunk wrap in foil and toast in a hot oven till crumbly ( it stinks when its done in fact it stinks full stop!!). You can buy the garlic and ginger paste too cheaper than you can make it.
I use this with Mullet,Gurnard, and Red Mullet it needs to be a meaty fish if you are using a whole fish just mix all the ingredients together slash the outside of the fish a few times smear the paste all over the fish and in the cavity then put a handfull of Kaffir Lime Leaves in the cavity. If its a fillet just smear with paste and lay skin side down on a bed of the lime leaves.
Bake at 180c or on the top rack of a bbq wrapped in tin foil job done . Few pics below of the best brands. Next week how to make the lighest fluffiest fish cakes ever :t.

Attachments

• 20120821_140417.jpg
    20120821_140417.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 20120821_140430.jpg
    20120821_140430.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 20120822_130025.jpg
    20120822_130025.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 150
Cmon Dave... even the kids are catching Guiltheads down your way... 3 at a time!! and catching so much they are throwing them back in the water!
Wall Photos | Facebook

Maybe you could snorkle a few metres from them in the surf and shoot the giltheads asa they are being returned ;)

Re: UK and Ireland Forum Dashboard discussion thread

After a little research on Google it seems that harvesting Sea Urchins was very big in Ireland back in the 70's, but due to overfishing, stocks crashed and the sea urchin was practically wiped out in many areas. This overfishing was not confined to Ireland and many countries went about wiping out their stocks also.

From what I can gather they are harvested for their Roe which is used for making sushi in Asian countries like Japan, where they are considered a highly prized delicacy, but there does not seem to be any kind of domestic demand for them here in Ireland at the moment as a food source.

There are a couple of enterprises in Cork that are farming the Sea Urchin for the export market and for restocking areas that were once wiped out. An Irish developed aquaculture farming system called UP (Urchin Platter - unique in the world and patented) has proved to be commercially viable and sustainable in their production.

As Sunfish said its fine to feed yourself and family but to target them commercially would be irresponsible and short lived as the stocks would dwindle as before. If you are looking for a commercial venture involving the Sea Urchin, you could have a look at this article and maybe start up a sea weed production business to feed them...there's a demand for it.

inshore-ireland.com - Development of artificial feeds to benefit sea urchin farming
thx for the info derekn and link but i wont be tryin to sell them just goin to catch the odd few every now and then still havent tasted them so curious to what they r like but not sure about eatin them raw so if any suggestions in ways to cook them would be good i seen 1 on youtube fryin them in egg so im goin to try that

Guys,
I´m going down to Beara this weekend with my 2 of "my new starters". Plans for Saturday, 2 dives, one in the morning and another one in the afternoon/evening. Sunday one dive....or two... :p Any interested in join, just pm me or drop me a sms.

Hey lads,
I'm heading down home to Wexford for the wkend and I'm planning on getting a dive or 2 in down in kilmore, if anybody is around and interested in joining me just drop me a msg or pm

OHHH YEEE , I should win that competition !!! .......... :D
but unfortunately there was no competition :( it was all about cooking and drinking :) so , The Winner is ........ Neal - cooking and Johnny - forced to be drinking .... ( sorry , we not gona a do it again)
I will except all prizes , and pm my postal address :D

Hi Guys,

Haven't been here for a while. Hope everybody are well :)! What is the visibility in Galway areas these days like? I was thinking to do a trip there, but not sure is it worth... Thanks in advance

Howya lads

I completely agree three winners danas for them lovely fish, Neal for that amazing sauce and the cork boi for being as full as a paisley church on Sunday boi, ha good night all the same. Cheers to Fergus for organizing it was a great introduction to spearfishing (no fish lots of drink ha) great craic.

So what are your thoughts on this hero??

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346016400.136713.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346016400.136713.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 193
Madalena, pico island. It's illegal worldwide. The guy in the photo doesn't seem to care. He has it on display on a wall!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT