• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland Spearing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Check these out?
Some awesome underwater shots.... I expect the same from your new camera pedro :)

Blue shark hunting in Azores | George Karbus Photography

I´ll do my best... :) The lake dive went really well, I love my 8.5mm :) !!! ...Water temp was 3oC (!!!!) , and we stay there for maybe 3 hours. We got exactly where we wanted and we´ve made some dives there. The deepest was at 13 meters, I took the 60€ camera that survived once more :) Speaking about cameras, I also got this week the Cannon Powershoot sx 230hs + the underwater housing for it.... I´m going to test it during the week in the pool but nothing like our backyard to take all the potential from it! :)

P.S. - I´m starting to have serious spearfishing cravings.....!!! But...where is the fish...? No fish reports lattely...! :(

Nice temperature!! 2 cameras!! Jesus I just got rid of one and can't wait to get a new one.
Oh and on the fish report........if u want a job done right u gotta do it yourself!!

I ordered the Mares Avanti Quattro ABS Plus, they're on special offer with Scubastore at the moment. They arrived last Friday but unfortunately the fastening buckle was broken in several pieces when they arrived and I had to return them.

I'm waiting on Scubastore to ship a replacement pair so I'll probably have them on Tuesday or Wednesday with a bit of luck... I read in the reviews that they are a really good fin but the buckle lets them down, I'm going to order the spring straps this time around as well if Scubastore will ship them back with my replacement order.

I had a pair of closed heel fins a few years ago but I found them very uncomfortable and they used to cramp my feet a lot even though they weren't particularly tight. I've been using a pair of open heel Reef Tourers for the past 2 years and they're very comfortable but lack any kind of decent thrust and become very tiring when swimming against a current.

Anyone else have experience good or bad with the Avanti Quattro fins?

Never had or used them but I think the cramping problem could be down to the stiffness of the fin. I had plastic immersion which were open heel and they killed my ankles. They got so bad that I had a limp for 3 months.
I got the stereo fins carbon waves in medium stiffness and I have never had a problem since. Btw they are closed foot pockets. Nice flex on the blades and effortless compared to the plastic blades.

Nice temperature!! 2 cameras!! Jesus I just got rid of one and can't wait to get a new one.
Oh and on the fish report........if u want a job done right u gotta do it yourself!!

True, true...Couldn´t say better :)

Anyone getting itchy feet for some cod... seems they are out there :)

normalimageviewer.ashx

Monster 43lb 9oz Cod Caught

Anyone getting itchy feet for some cod... seems they are out there :)

Monster 43lb 9oz Cod Caught

O.M.G...... What a juggernaught!

For a minute there I thought it had been speared, and my heart sunk a little. Kinda like last year when SurfnSpear nailed that 35lb Bluefin Tuna before summer even started - we all knew that FOY 2011 all sewn up. Stick a fork in it; and console yourself with trying to win a FOM somewhere down the line. I though the bleeding 44lb Cod had ruined FOY 2012 for sure..! :duh

Folks, I'm selling my ocean kayak prowler 13, to free up some cash to buy a faster boat :) :)
PM me for details, but I'ts been used 3 or 4 times, in excellent condition and being sold with a brand new garmin echo 100, motorcycle battery, daytripper paddle, and comfort plus backrest. All this comes to 1100 approx and I am selling it for 950. Drop me a pm if you're interested, I have LOTS of photo's and a video that I took this morning but I don't want to clog up this thread.
Ta :)

Some guy was interested on a kayak,on irishkayakangling last week if you don't have an account with them pm me and we do something about.

PM sent, ta :)

I'll hopefully pick up another kayak next OCT when the boat comes off the mooring!

Have you put it up on donedeal in the watersports section?, I sold mine last year within a day of putting the ad up.

Not yet. I know it will be snapped up ASAP... new ones are actually on a waiting list in Ireland.
I said I'd throw it up on the forums first to see if anyone wants it, but I reckon it will be gone within a few hours on donedeal.

You know, I was half thinking of keeping the Echo fishfinder and attaching it to the banks board!! Have you done any mods to yours?

373830_2551353580471_1152836871_3064482_822912743_n.jpg

No, not really, only thing I attached was a Gorilla type camera stand to the flagpole but I was thinking exactly the same thing about the fish finder...its probably not much of an advantage for locating fish but It would be good to know what depth the bottom is before diving down.

Gorilla%20Tripod%20Stand.jpg

Yep sometime I cover a lot of ground and don't even check to see what is lurking in the kelp below..., the fishfinder can tell yo if there is a boulder or dropoff below, as well as maybe finding a suitable depth to anchor on, or feature / reef you are looking for... mind you... a GPS could be handy too!!
BUT don't forget some flatfish are really well camouflaged and will not move even if you are right over them. The fishfinder was a critical part of my turbot hunt last year.... that never started due to the weather.

yea I have an old handheld waterproof Etrex to bring with me this year, I figure it will be handy for marking off any good locations I might find while I'm out there. I also have a handheld VHF transceiver that I kept when I sold my boat but that's maybe a bit overkill. A waterproof bag with a mobile phone in it is probably a better option to stay in touch with a buddy or in case of emergency.

out for a boat dive today. Was lovely with about 3-4m viz. Finally made it back to that plaice / cod / sole spot.... But 20 mins in the skipper called it a day... Conditions were not good enough to leave boat.... So abandoned the dive and had a few hours fishing in the cold on the drift.
fab to be in water again tho... And that place really looks like it has potential!!

We'll be back rob. Damn south easterlies messing up my plans. I didn't even get in the water. Was worried about the boat in that swell.
Next time......

Is it my impression or the forecast for next week is just getting unreal.... :) Smells like B Peninsula this Friday..... yes it does :) .....!

Yep. Looking great. Can't make the Friday but I'm planning to get out Sunday. Are ye stayin the weekend or the day?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT