• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland Spearing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I was looking at a few reviews for the Mares Phantom and it does'nt seem like a bad gun at a reasonable price, but 34 euro delivery from Scubastore is abit of a joke.
Its no wonder they offer low prices when they bump their profits up with delivery charges...

That's what couriers are charging for international chipping I am afraid. Try if someone wants to buy something from scuba store and share the cost of shipping.
Ps. I have no experience with mares guns.

Was looking at the forecast for the weekend. I know a few scubies are heading out on Sat and was in two minds to go with them Bit of swell on sat and a fair bit of wind. Might be better with you guys down south. Have committed to going on the piss Friday night as well so might have to leave to sunday.

Kookiebrew. Keep looking and when u find it u will know. Took me 2 years to figure out where to dive. When u find it keep it quiet!! Usually places hard to access are the best!
Never fished clare so I'm no good to u but good luck!!
Chealy. Vis is crap offshore and in cork harbour which is y I went rod fishing today with bobdonny.
Caught 6 nice ling and a cod but the reason I'm telling u this is because of what I found inside the biggest ling. I've gutted a lot of fish and seen a lot of strange and big things in their stomaches but I've never seen anything like this!
Not sure what the fish is but he is over 1/3 the size of the ling! Just goes to show how big a bait u can use!!

Baldy,

I might say that´s a Greater forkbeard (Phycis blennoides - latin), a fish that usually lives in caves, wrecks etc, so sharing in theory the same areas with ling. I usually see them when guttering congers. Not sure but that´s at least it´s my guest from the picture.

More info:
Phycis blennoides, Greater forkbeard : fisheries

As soon as you report that the water start to warm up, even if 1oC more there in south....let me know ............. ;)

As soon as you report that the water start to warm up, even if 1oC more there in south....let me know ............. ;)

Says the man with the 8.5mm suit :)

Sat has a neap low at about 14:48 so for anyone travelling down its probably best to head out at about 1pm and fish the drop, and then on the drop maybe head to that spot sunfish got the plaice and we shot the cod.

Last edited:
Pedro that is a ling but the fish from it's stomach is a whiting I'm pretty sure.
I havnt spoken to my bro yet Derek but I'm sure he was there with bells on before it was even reported!!
What's goin on sat? I'm planning on heading west for a look.

What's goin on sat? I'm planning on heading west for a look.

I heard rumours of a trip to Roches point. I might tag along if that goes ahead. Otherwise I might just see locally if there is a bit of viz / bass ;)

Anything exciting going on west?

I'll head for bass out west. A little birdie told me a story yesterday.
All depends on if there is a wreck dive on, in which case I'll be going out to test my new toys I've been putting together the last 4 months.

Says the man with the 8.5mm suit :)

Sat has a neap low at about 14:48 so for anyone travelling down its probably best to head out at about 1pm and fish the drop, and then on the drop maybe head to that spot sunfish got the plaice and we shot the cod.

Well... The man with the 8.5mm suit is going this Saturday to dive in a lake...it was nice actually two weeks ago or so, the 8.5mm worked really well in a 6oC water temperature :p

Well... The man with the 8.5mm suit is going this Saturday to dive in a lake...it was nice actually two weeks ago or so, the 8.5mm worked really well in a 6oC water temperature :p

Can you actually sink wearing something like this or you just lying on the surface pretending a brave diver :D ;)

Can you actually sink wearing something like this or you just lying on the surface pretending a brave diver :D ;)

:D I have a 7ml for winter and with enough weight I can sink just fine. The only thing is that deeper than 10 metres it gets a bit tricky to swim back up again.:head

:D I have a 7ml for winter and with enough weight I can sink just fine. The only thing is that deeper than 10 metres it gets a bit tricky to swim back up again.:head

You can always leave your 8mm wetsuit on the bottom and then come back to the surface ;):duh

Hi to all
Back again for the new year.
I wish we will get some weather this year.

@chealy: have the Cressi ger. elite at 85cm
Tried it last year and I am very happy. Had always Cressi anyway. The gun moves fast enough in the water and is strong too
Got a second band and thicker spear to try a different setup this year.
Reel comes handy for pollock.
@zaratustra: get your ass in gear we have to get out before I become a father!!!! Ha ha ha

Nik

Haha. Being a father ain't stopping me. Foot is firmly down. :)
Weather is good Saturday!! Not sure the viz will be great tho:-(

Hi to all
Back again for the new year.
I wish we will get some weather this year.

@chealy: have the Cressi ger. elite at 85cm
Tried it last year and I am very happy. Had always Cressi anyway. The gun moves fast enough in the water and is strong too
Got a second band and thicker spear to try a different setup this year.
Reel comes handy for pollock.
@zaratustra: get your ass in gear we have to get out before I become a father!!!! Ha ha ha

Nik

I am afraid we don't have much time left my man ;)

U sure? It's gonna be a gentle roll with that light westerly. All systems go I say!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327657515.888893.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327657515.888893.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 126
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT