• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

is there any spearo's on the isle of wight

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Benford, i used to live in Portsmouth, many moons ago i used to go to whitcliff bay for holidays and i always took the guns with me to do flatty bashing on the sand bar which was just off the coast there, i remember the undercurant being a bit deadly further out but it was good fishing then(1976 77 and 78), and on the right hand side(looking out to sea) where the Quartz cliff is just around the corner about 100 to 150m from the point was good for bass.

Peter.

hiho,
cheers fox and jimy, nice big mullet to dude.
ive been down to wight cliff bay twice and withput a dive partner i would not even go out pass the cliff, cant speak french that well so would hate to driff over there "sucuer bleu, wee wee wee",

i have never found a flate fish or how to look for them so any pointers would not be bad,
well with the wind comming from the west at the moment my favourite dive is murkey as hell so i may try around compton, i hear at low tidy there a wreck that shows there at low tidy so i may pop over there this week but i heared from a local fisherman that there are a few pollack there but wrasse and congers mainly, and the last thing i want to spear is a conger, any one given it a go before or dived around them???

well take care guys,

oh jimy how about we arange a week end next year over in brigton???
:friday

Sounds good...I stay diving through the year so sooner if your keen,

Theres a spare bed at mine if that helps you?

Congers wont hurt you... Wouldnt shoot one unless your confident.

Wrass taste good as well

cheers for that forum fox, now i want to observe them,
any hints on flatty or skate hunting??,

do you wear a 5mm suit during the winter months jimy??,
cheers guys
Ben

Ben I wear a 3mm shorty over my 5mm suit when the water goes below about 14c. There is loads of flatfish tips & even pics of buried plaice on the Guernsey thread.

I atchaly use a 5mm scuba semi dry...wich on paper is rubbish for spearing but in pratice its perfect for me.

Some times i were a 1mm suit under it///good gloves boots and good make all the diffrence.

Actual skate are very scers..but other rays such as blondys and thourne bak tast just the same. Id love to catch one and they get pritty big.

Your suit is obviously working dude but when you replace it with a smooth skin you will notice a BIG difference. I saw a real big blonde ray last year 30lb + but left the slimey monster be.

ive got 5mm beuchat mundail camo, its an open cel suit so will this do the job or do in i need to get the wallet out again on a 7mm??

NO...Just play it buy ear.

Ther is always under layers like rash vest or boddy gloves.

Not worth a 7mm

Horses for courses, some guys can dive all year round on 5mm but you have to factor in lots of variables; resistance to cold, body fat, enthusiasm, lack of sleep, diet, type of diving etc. etc. It's a hit and miss affair, what works for one man doesn't for another. I feel the cold easily but having dived in winter in 5mm and other than the initial ice-cream headache in the forehead i've survived for 2 hours. A lot of it is psychological!

I think it comes down to seperating the people who love the sport and the people who are obssesed/mad..

lol, its getting like that,
went out again today for a wee dive after work, was murkey as hell in the mouth of the pool where i go but say 3 good size mullet and well did not even get one did even mange to get aim before they fecked off into the murk, stayed well past dusk until a had to use the torch and saw a load of small pollack whipping here and there,

Oh yes that very very thin line between mad and obsessed, Mad is dreaming of the next big dive day, and thinking how to rigg the gun while waiting in traffic,and diving in a 3mm wettie in -1 water just because its to much lead to carry down to the beach if you wear the 2 5mm suits. Obsession is beating up the postman because he is 2 hours late delivering the new 3mm smooth skin wettie , then proudly showing the misses how great it looks while she is all dressed down in her best ann summers kit wondering what planet you are now on????.

hi guys,
got this crazy bottle today at my local sports shop for my dive belt and it did not cost a bomb ethier,
grouper found you some pic of wight cliff bay mate, enjoy.

Attachments

• bottle.JPG
    bottle.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 237
  • bottle on belt.JPG
    bottle on belt.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 220
  • wcb.JPG
    wcb.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 221
hey all,
went out today at bembridge again got 2 mullet and my first pollack, was in a wierd mood today became more of a spectature the a hunter, watched a 4lb bass come in quite close and rub its body in the sea weed.
was funny on the way back in, in around a foot and a half of water was a nice size plaice i nearly stuck my hand stright on him before he sodded off so i got out the knife and had a rambo moment but did not find the sod.
thoose sport bottle worked well, did not let and sea water in and did mess up the wieght ratio.
Well Enjoy your weekend guys.
Ben

Last edited:
hi guys,
went out again today over bembridge got a 3,4,5,6lb mullet, but did not see any bass today????
Shot 1 mullet and it slipped right of the spear again LUCK FECKER! so his fish food or he can apply for a disabled badge,rofl
Any good hints for getting rid of the smell of fish from your car?????

went out again for a short dive today on the east coast and the vis was crap but i did find a dead mullet (well what was left of it) with a spear hole in its back so i guess the one that got away died and fed the crabs,
with the wind blowing in from the s/w the best place to hunt would be the solent but with all the boat traffic and mud around there illed give it a miss until the wind comes in favour again.

Last edited:
went out again for a short dive today on the east coast and the vis was crap but i did find a dead mullet (well what was left of it) with a spear hole in its back so i guess the one that got away died and fed the crabs,
with the wind blowing in from the s/w the best place to hunt would be the solent but with all the boat traffic and mud around there illed give it a miss until the wind comes in favour again.
Hi Ben I’m a newbie to spear fishing but I’m on the IOW how you been getting on since you last posted on here? I can’t wait for my new gear to get here. I’m living in Ventnor you still in shanklin

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT