• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

is this gear good?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
can I make a suggestion.........

before you buy your gun, or any spearfishing gear, spend the money and get some quality freediving equipment. even it it means missing a season spearing. the experience and knowledge you'll gain from simply getting out and diving will vastly improve your hunting down the road.

Last edited:
that was what i was thinking of doing. i was going to buy my freediving stuff first, then hit my parents up for the gun.

All Hail Amphibious!!!!

Martin Stepanek told me, "The most important gear to put your money into is the wetsuit, even well before the fins and mask"

I am the wrong person to discuss wetsuits (Florida), but Phibious can give you advice on staying warm and comfortable.

o no i have a wetsuit already. i do lots of body surfing, boogie boarding and surf fishing, and i am ALWAYS in the water swimming, water skiing etc. usually in water temps that are pretty cold, like sometimes down to 48 degrees f, so right now i have a body glove wetsuit. it is 3mm, and keeps me very warm in 60+ degree water, but a wetsuit is not really what i care about. normally i just go with a bathing suit, or if i am swimming at night, i wear a swim shirt. hahaha right now in MA it is about 3 degrees f at most and i am walking around in shorts. i am the kind of person who walks through 15 inches of snow while it is still snowing in his sandals and pajama bottoms with nothing on top, to get wood for the fireplace. being warm is not a big deal to me.

"i have a body glove wetsuit. it is 3mm":head

That is NOT a wetsuit to spearfish in where you live!

Sure it might keep you warm for some silly surface sports, but when your in the water for 4-5 hours, lying on the bottom in Aspetto waiting for the fish to come, your going to wish you listened to all of the other divers on this board. You need at least a 5mm FREEDIVING wetsuit for your area.

Now hit the search key and find out what a real freedivng suit is made out of and how it differs from a surf suit, or even a scuba suit. Wetsuits make ALL the difference and getting a good one off the bat will help you out more than you know at this point. There is so much good info already posted that I won't duplicate anything already written

Amphibous was right when he told you to get a good wetsuit and a mask/snorkel/ freediving fin set and start practicing just stalking your game. You'll also need a weight belt, knife, and flag/float combo to get started safely. If you have the basics down, and are comfortable in the water for a few hours at a time, your stalking skills will come along and you'll need nothing more than a pole spear to catch dinner.

The MOST important thing you should find at this point in time costs you nothing- and that's a buddy to do this with so you will be alive to tell us about all of the great catches you will get in the future.

Jon

Reactions: jimdoe2you
ok ok ok i will get a freaking wetsuit. what are some good ones and what is typical price range?

If I may I would suggest a custom wetsuit. I have a diveskin wetsuit made in greece and I love it.Ive got a 5mm 2 peice blue camo one, It only cost about $180 USD and its is so worth it. Ive been in 57 degree water with it and it kept me warm, but then again thats as cold as the water gets here in fl. There are better and nice custom wetsuits that you can get and im sure some one like jon could direct you i that direction. Good Luck, Ryan

ok ok but i dont really want to spend a whole lot of money on one, as i am still growing, so are there any ones that are cheap, like under $100?

I have a Diveskin wetsuit that I wore once and now hangs in the closet- really crappy tailoring job. :( It's only a 3mm, and you need at least a 5mm, otherwise I'd give you a sweet deal on it.

I would go Elios on a new suit. If your worried about growing out of it too fast look at some of the suits on Ebay, or Scubastore, or get the diveskin suit since you won't need it for long.

A good suit will make you so much more at home in the water you'll enjoy the sport much more and be able to work on stalking those fish.

IF you want to save some cash up front look at starting out with a polespear and wait a couple years to buy a gun. For the water temps your diving in a wetsuit is something you can't get around.

Jon

ok ok i will just buy the wetsuit. i have a shorty wetsuit that is 3mm, and i dont wear it anymore because the arms and legs are too short, so is it possible to wear that suit under my other one? that would make a total of 6mm, but just around the chest area. im just throwing out ideas here, i dont know if this even possible. so far the gear i will buy is: Riffe Viso mask, Cressi j-tube snorkel, AB Biller Mahogany gun, OMER thunder still knife, and i am undecided about the wetsuit. i havent tallied up the total yet, but i am pretty sure it comes out more than $300

Especially if you're going to be diving in Rhode Island, do yourself a big favor and save money on the rest of the gear but get yourself the best open cell (designed for freediving) wetsuit you can afford. I used to dive in my Henderson 7mm scuba suit--got myself a Picasso mimetical last season and even though it's thinner than the Henderson it's so much warmer and way more comfortable (plus it's a really sexy camo so I can disappera in the kelp!!). It's just my opinion, but I think where freediving is concerned the more things you can take off your list of stuff to worry about the better off you are and more likely to come home with a fat stringer. Being nice and warm makes it a lot easier to concentrate on putting holes in fish.

is there really a way to get a good wetsuit for under $300? i am just trying to save money, and when i saw the 300 dollar wetsuit i sort of felt my wallet die.

To be brutally honest, the last piece of gear that you should try and cheap out on is the suit.
I know that you are growing and that you feel that you can handle cold water, but your whole diving experience and performance hinges on the fact that you need to be warm.
If you are cold your performance suffers, you will lose bottom time because you get cold and the thing is you won't even realise it.
If you are in the water all the time you will look on the investment in a good suit as money well spent.
I would buy a good spearfishing suit, there are plenty of links posted by others.
If it is good quality and you look after it you could probably sell it when you outgrow it, and use the money to put towards a new one.

Amphibious, i was just looking at the gear you showed me, (comes out to $500, roughly) and the wetsuit would most likely not fit. i am 5'2", around 110 lbs and the smallest size it for a person who weighs 154-166 lbs, and it 5'7" to 5' 9". also, is it possible to get a wetsuit with a removable hood?

Short question...

Can somebody recommend me some really good fins for spearfishing:confused: ???

My shoe size is about 45 and I use boots.

I need those with good structure, so I will move faster with the same energy imput…

Thank’s !

Hiya

alexanderXP, there are quite a few long bladed fins on the market. Almost all of them will work well for spearfishing. If you're hunting in less than 20m (60'), a "soft" fin is what you need. The most important factor is FIT!! Your fins MUST fit your feet PERFECTLY. Too tight, and your feet will cramp up, conversely, too loose and you'll get blisters and probably lose your fins. So simply visit a dive shop and fit on as many types of fins as you can.

Some of the most popular brands are:
Picasso black teams - great for guys with BROAD feet (like me!!)
Omer Millenuims
Cressi Gara 3000's as well as their 2000's

All of the above will work very well as a spearfishing fin. They're all closed heel fins, so you'll have to switch to socks instead of booties.

Hypersquid1, if you're an odd size (like me!!rofl) then get a custom made wetsuit. Manufacturers such as Elios offer custom made wetsuits similarly priced to those off the shelf suits!! Check them out!!

Regards
miles

Reactions: alexanderXP
alexander xp, if youre going to ask a question, do it in a new seperate thread. dont go into other peoples threads and ask questions, its rather annoying. btw, thank you miles, i will look into that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT