• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

is this gear good?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
advice is good, attitude is bad

Threads all over DB wander off in different directions all the time, and often become more off-topic than a gear question on a gear thread. This thread deals with gear, and if you'd take advice (which you seem to be resisting thus far), you might consider the recommendations instead of taking it personally. Lighten up and enjoy the site.

Pardon

Sorry mates, this will not happen again, I promise.

But, I just think when the threat is about „gear“ in general. And I have a!!Short!! Question about “Fins” (what is also gear)…. Got the point? Then the forum will be filled with short answer questions.
But still…. I beg for pardon.

Alexander,
There is no need for you to apologize. Your question was completely appropriate and reasonable for this thread and forum. Please continue to ask questions; if you want to learn, there are many people who can help you. :)

Its ok guys....rofl
Lol...

One thing that I just love about this forum is, that it is like a big community with people helping each other…

Compared to other forums (e.g. some Airgun hunting forums) filled with hot-on-guns kids who just care about their prey’s capacity,guns and not the art of hunting.

OK.. "lets get down to buisness"

Reactions: foxfish
OK.. "lets get down to buisness"

Sounds like a plan to me. Since both of you want to spearfish, and both are starting out, this thread will help you both out with queston- as well as many others out there. You may be in different countries, but you'll both need to wear similar wetsuits and socks/gloves to dive in.

Almost all of us on here started out with plastic fins and many of us moved up to something fancier as we got more into the sport. Some of the nicer fins have footpockets that you can change out with different blades- Beuchat,OMER, Spetton, C4, Sporasub, Picasso, and some older Cressi Sub models. I would suggest one of these fins to start with and then you have the option of changing out blades at a later date.

Fancier blades can be made out of fiberglass, like the Water Way/Nemo fins, or Carbonfiber, like C4, Specialfins, Omer Record's, Beuchat's, M-technic's and others. These come in different stiffness blades to match your leg strength- I would always recommend going softer. They cost a lot more but they are a lot more fun than a plastic blade.

If you can try on footpockets at a local shop it's worth every penny for paying full price at that shop for the chance to do so. If not, find something close. I wear a 43 and have footpockets in the 42-44 size range- I have fins/pockets from OMER, Sporasub, and Picasso and they ALL allow me to wear wetsuit socks underneath to keep my feet warm.

Look for the ultimate fin thread on here and you'll see all kinds of opinons on fins and what people like, or don't like. I really like a fin blade with an angle to it, but others would disagree.

Masks are easier since it comes down to what fits. Some low volume masks are great for deeper depths, but that doesn't always make much of a difference on spearfishing- depending of course where your doing it and what depths you'll be hitting. ;)

You'll both need a GOOD wetsuit. ELIOS will make a decent custom suit for about what an off the rack suit will cost you from some of the better dive companies. Socks and gloves, or even 3-finger mitts, can also be made by them. One thing that this thread should beat home is the need for a good wetsuit to get the most out of your diving- and in colder water it really is a safety issue.

Rubber belts are also a nice to have item, I've seen them cheap on EBAY as of late, but your still better off spending the cash on a better wetsuit and using a crappy old scuba belt to start with. Eventually you'll want to move up to a rubber belt to stop the slipping.

Snorkels are all over the place. Tradition states a simple tube with no valves, but I know guys who love the purge valve for diving in choppy water. I have a whole quiver of snorkels and use different snorkels for different things- I don't use a purge valve for spearing, but I love them for playing underwater hockey with. Decent snorkels can be had for cheap- my favorite one I bought used off of Ebay for $2!

Spearguns come after you have all of the basic gear. A pole spear isn't such a bad way to start. Hawaiian Skindiver Magazine recently had an article about learning how to spear with a polespear before moving up to a speargun to improve your stalking techniquie.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I could kill two birds with one stone.

jon

ok ok thanx so much. alexander xp, im sorry bout that, most forums ive been on do not allow you to go into other peoples forums, and its been a while since ive been on DB. jon, thank you so much, i will get that coffee right away and start reading! i think i will go with the plastic fins, as the prices of some of those composites are outrageous amounts of money for me to be spending. as for masks, will a lower volume mask push against your face more? what i mean is, when i was younger i would swim around in my pool with a mask on, then i would swim down to the bottom (aproximately 9 feet) and i would have to breath out of my nose to break the seal on my mask, as the pressure was tremendous. will having a lower volume mask maybe prevent this? and for depth, the deepest i will be going will be around 15-20 feet. also, my mother is the queen of ebay, and she always buys stuff on there. i was looking and found a new ab biller mahogany gun for about half the price of a new one. is a speargun the type of thing you can buy on ebay, or is it like trying to buy a car, where you have to be there and inspect it? i am about 5' 2" (just measured this morning) in height, so what would be an appropriate size gun to buy?

Last edited:
Hm there are lots of factors involved there, such as the kinds of species will you be hunting, average visibility, is it a reef, or a rocky area, or is it mostly sand? Viz is a big limiting factor, since you don't want a gun that's longer than you can see underwater. If you're diving in a rocky area, you'll want to concentrate on guns with purpose-made spear tips and probably thicker spears to avoid warping when the fish hide in the rocks. Those are some things to consider. As for masks, the volume affects how much air you'll need to equalize pressure when you descend. All masks will squeeze your face, but a lower-volume mask won't require as much air to equalize. There are some good ones out there, like Omer's Alien or several Cressi masks.

Good question hypersquid :).

Last edited:
Species- Stripers, bluefish, tautog (blackfish), scup, flounder, and possibly some small sandsharks. during the annual tuna run i might try for some very very small tuna, but that is very unlikely. Area- in/around rocks, sandy bottoms, some grassbeds. viz- 2-6 feet. hope this info helps.

Sounds like the viz in my neck of the woods :D; I'm lucky if I can see 5 feet ahead of me. What size is the Biller that you're looking at? Suggestion - use the Deeperblue Search function to investigate AB Billers. Guns build up a reputation, so there should be some good info available.

oh i was looking to buy a 30 to 36" gun. i think the one on ebay is 36. also, i do not want to go too big, as i am rather short (5' 2") and i think a bigger gun will be harder to handle.

Sounds reasonable. A smaller gun will be less intimidating and more practical in the waters where you will hunt. How much are they asking for the Biller on ebay? Is it set up for a rocky hunting environment? Another possible place to look for guns & gear is the Deeperblue store. Great gear deals, but you'll need to calculate shipping to make sure it's worth it. :)
http://www.fridykning.se/freediving/features/eliossub.html

There is a link to Elios-related material. It'll answer most (if not all) of your questions if you want a custom-made wetsuit from them. If you have more questions after that, do a DB search on Elios or custom wetsuits. The subject has been discussed most thoroughly.

Last edited:
ok thats a great help. i have no idea if the gun is set up for rocky environments. just do an ebay search, ab biller spearguns, and it should come up. it is being sold by a dive shop, and there are 20 of the guns for sale. o i have another question. say i want to shoot a flounder. now this flounder is lying on the bottom, and if i shoot it, the spear will most likely go through the fish completely and into the sand. is it a bad thing if the spear hits a rock or goes into sand? im sorry if this is a stupid question, but i am just curious.

You can pretty much count on shooting sand or rock, regardless of whether or not the spear goes through a fish. By the nature of the sport, you will miss a number of shots. I can't really think of a problem with hitting sand, unless there is debris to tangle up the tip, and that's more of an annoyance than a problem. If anyone else has input on that I'll defer to it:).

Rocks are a different issue. If you hit a rock, you run the chance of damaging the speartip. If you shoot a fish, it might run off and hide in the caves, which sometimes results in bent shafts. Some guns can be set up with those things in mind; then you have a gun with a purpose-made rocktip that can withstand a beating, and sometimes a thicker shaft to prevent warping. Some JBL guns, like the 38 Northwest Special and the Custom, are powerful but durable for such activity, and you have the option of rock tips for the spears. The NW and the Custom are also metal and can take a beating, whereas wood guns might not look so pretty after a while. You may want to search ebay for those guns and compare them to the Biller.

BTW have you checked the DB store for wetsuits? There is a decent-looking Cressi that looks suitable for spearfishing, and seems reasonably priced. Sizing info is available. Who knows, it might work.
http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=12&id_subfamilia=52

Hope that answers your questions. Take care. :)

no no i have not check the DB store yet. will go now. batray, i looked at the elios site you told me to go to, and there is so much overwhelming stuff about wetsuits on there. i have no clue where to start. what would be a good setup, but relatively cheap? also, is it legal to spear largemouth bass in massachusetts? and how can you tell if a fish is legal size to spear?

Personally, I think the Cressi suit in the DB store is a pretty good deal, and it may be very close to your size. It is also possible that an off-the-rack suit would be easier to sell once you outgrow it. As for Elios, yeah, there have been many, many threads and discussions on which neoprene is the best, opencell or nylon, Heiwa or Yamamoto (sp?) and so forth. My suits have all been off-the-rack and have worked well for their purposes, and I don't know much about the Elios suits, except some people speak well of them. If the Cressi interests you, but you have more questions about it, contact the DB store representatives. They've been very good whenever I've dealt with them.

Your state should have sportfishing regulations for both salt and freshwater. You can try accessing their website or go to a local sporting goods store to acquire the regulations. I go to sporting goods stores, because here in California the regulations are printed in manuals, so you don't have to dig through DFG codes. If such a thing is available in Massachusetts, that would be a big help to you:).

When you start hunting, try to locate a more experienced buddy who can point out fish that are of acceptable or unacceptable size. You'll learn to identify them by sight after a while.

ok ok. i would be spearing in freshwater in MA, and in saltwater in RI. the size for stripers in RI is 28" and 2 fish per person per day if you are fishing. do the regulation for fishing also apply for spearfishing? luckily there is not size for bluefish, so i will have more fun spearing them. ;)

Hypersquid1 said:
ok ok. ido the regulation for fishing also apply for spearfishing?

you need to put some time in and do your homework before you go spearing.

getting arrested for poaching would not be a whole lot of fun.

and here is a SWEET Deal for you: or any other newbie spearo:

[ame]http://cgi.ebay.ca/JBL-38-Special-NW-Spear-Gun_W0QQitemZ7223543884QQcategoryZ47353QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/ame]

Last edited:
:inlove I second that recommendation. That gun was made for your conditions.

i definately will look into that. but sommewhere on this site i heard that JBLs are just rear handle guns with a cocking stock added onto the end. is this as effective as a gun in which the spear goes back past the handle such as the biller of riffe?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT