• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

is this gear good?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I got some of those gloves, and they are soo nice. They are plenty warm in California waters, but you have a great deal of sensitivity through the palm. Great deal. Also considering selling my UK Blue Tang and buying one of the Riffe knives. That's something to keep in mind when buying your stuff; it won't necessarily turn out to be ideal for your circumstances, and if that happens, it's no big deal. Just sell it and buy what you need. Live and learn :).

Oh cool BatRay..

without wandering of topic for hypersquid, could you let me know how the triggerfinger of the kevlar gloves are. My trigger is very sensitive and i am not at all keen on thick gloves (in fact i usually cut off the tip of my triggerfinger anyway) so do you think that these gloves offer enough manoverability and versatility without compromising protection and warmth?

Cheers
Huw

Without a doubt, yes. It's surprising to me, because the material on the palm isn't very thick, but my hands stayed warm at Catalina. They may take a bit of getting used to, but they should do the job.

Actually that's :girlie woman, but the info's what matters :).

Hi I just bought a blunt tip diving knife I would like to know how good it is

the brand is "scuba zest" but I cant find info about it, and this is a brand I have never seen before

I only paid 6 dlls at a swap meet and it is in very good cond.

does any one have a sugestion

I don't recognize the brand either. This thread deals with spearfishing gear, though, and a blunt-tip knife wouldn't do so well for dispatching fish. Try posting your question in the scuba forum, since it's a purpose-made knife you're dealing with. As for care, rinse it with fresh water after you take it diving, and perhaps coat the blade with a thin layer of oil (I think cooking oil is good to use, if that's wrong then someone please correct me). That helps to prevent corrosion.

im sorry i havent been able to check the site recently, but this is all great info. thank you all for helping me out. i might be able to get a wetsuit after all, as my sister might buy one for me for my b-day. it will probably not be an elios, but it a wetsuit just the same. and i will most likely be getting the frediving package within the next few weeks.

i have the 00 and its only use is for days when you cant see 3 feet, but i still use the metal tec 1, and for its winter flounder hunting. othe that that it doesnt do much very bad idea for hunting bass.

Yay! I hope the wetsuit works out. Once again, I recommend the Cressi suit in the DB store. It may be in your size, but you'll have to check the sizing charts. Either way, happy birthday!

wow i really have to go on here more. thank you! i cant wait for my b-day, i really have no clue what i will get, but i hinted (begged for) the spearfishing package from spearfishinggear.com hahaha.

o and scrounger, what is a good gun for hunting bass? they are at the top of my list, for both fishing and spearfishing.

hypersquid
an excellent gun for bass is a 90 cm euro gun or riffe comp 2. I also use a pneumatic, wicked power!!!

more $$$ isnt always better

as far as the gloves go if you look on blue water hunter.com. the lite gray gloves with the blue rubber palm. i use thoughs out here in okinawa and i think that they are damn good and real cheap too. but if you want to spend money on stuff that isnt necessarily better go for it. and i also recomend a sling. i use my jbl 8ft sling every time i go out and it never fails me. especially around rocks and reef

wetsuits

ok so what is all this talk about wetsuits and how 5mm is better then 3mm. ive been diving with a body glove 3mm and never had a problem with it. in fact its to much i have to ware a 1/2 mm in the summer cause the waters so warm in oki. all i use is my jbl 3 prong. and me and my buddies clean house. does a wet suit make that much of a difference?

It does. All of the world's bodies of water are not the same temperature. For further info, read the rest of the thread, or do a DB search on wetsuits.

i was using the mt3 as my main gun but i found that i didn't need the range all the time. i have had a few different guns 90 cm euros comp 1 but i decided to get a mt1 it is a smaller gun but has very good range for around RI. i have never missed a fish yet with it because it was to far away. so that or the mt2 would work very well. i like the metal tech because you don't need to worry about the teak taking a beating. oh both of mine have 3 bands and 2 wraps a bit slower to load but i usually have a fish to deal with so its no problem for me. the mid handles are great for when our water warms up and the vis is 8' at most

scrounger
I used a metal tech # 2 and it drove me nuts because it was negative without the spear in it! I sold that thing within two months and got a comp 2
which I just set up for a single 3/4 inch band so that it is similar to a euro gun,which I just saw riffe came out with! Oh well another gun to buy.

buechat 100mm

has anyone ever used a buechat 100mm. if so did you have a problem with it shooting low? i just bought a new one and my shots are all low.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT