• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

July - Freedive-A-Pazoola 2007 - Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be attending?

• Total voters
Hi Jon,

I will be heading to the lake right after work on Thursday and should be to the lake around 630PM. My wife will be camping with me.

-Jeff

I was wondering if anyone else is bringing their family up with?

I'm trying to decided if my wife and kids would be too bored with dad in the water all weekend, or there might be a couple of dry moments that would make it worthwhile to bring everyone along?

Jon

I'm still debating on showing up on Thurs evening, or early Fri morning.....looks like just over a 10 hr drive for me, which isn't too bad. Looks to be good weather, too!

Todd

Jeff,

Can you be sure to grab a group site, or two, for us? I think that Rob (cigarlung) is coming up that day as well. I will get there early(ish) on Friday and my family will come up on Saturday morning- provided we can find a kennel to watch our dog.

It looks like this year's event will be a bit larger than past year's so reserving a group site, or two, will be important.

Weather looks great and we've got lots of divers flying/driving in from all over the country!:friday

Jon

looks like i'll be a friday late afternoon arrival. save some good weather and clear water for me.
Fred

Bummed that I'm not gonna be able to make it...Next year for sure. Good news is that Friday I'm going to go check out a custom farmer John with a step in jacket. So I'll have 6mm on the torso & 3mm on the legs and arms.

Next are a weight belt
Pair of Cressi-Sub Gara 3000's
Cressi Horizon Mask
And a 7ft JBL one peice tapered aluminum polespear - Can you beleive they are ONLY $29.00!!! (pole spear)

Anyways I cant wait to read about it on here. Have fun everyone. I'll probably be in Lake Michigan or Geneva -

Most of all be safe!

Hoo boy...sounds like it's gonna be me, and a bunch of spearos! I'd better try not to look like a fish! :D

Todd

Don't sweat it too much Todd as we are all pretty versatile. ;)

I imagine that you will see more monofins than spearguns this weekend.

Of course, there will be a few extra guns lying around if you get the itch to try it out.:)

Jon

Hoo boy...sounds like it's gonna be me, and a bunch of spearos! I'd better try not to look like a fish! :D

Todd
rofl rofl rofl Everyone, safe travels and have a ton of fun!

Todd, looking forward to reading a front page article on one of freediving's premiere events! Take good care,

Here's a little map of the lake with some details on when and where we'll meet.

On Friday I plan to set up base camp ;) and then jump in by Sherwood forest- yes, there is an underwater forest there as well as a new sunken boat to play on. Depths range from 10'- 210'. (#4 on the map)

Saturday will have us meeting at the south boat launch where we'll find lots of fish cribs and two platforms with ascent lines- one at 25' and another at 75'. (#7 on the map) This was the area where Seth and John found the large schools of walleye and suckers last year- you can spear the suckers but not the walleye for all of you out of staters.

Sunday we will meet at the spot closest to the campground and with the easiest access to some deeper water- with ledges at 70', 100', 180' and 220' (#2 on the map). There are some nice ledges, trees and fish cribs in this area to play on and I bet Nostres will have some great video footgage from this area. This is also a great area to dive bomb the trimix divers as they complete their deep deco stops. rofl

Sometime in there it would be nice to do a swim, or scooter, all the way between sit #4 and #2. Scuba divers never get all the way through there and I bet that's where the fish hide. :) One of the best things about freediving, compared to scuba, is the freedom it allows us to get to places that scuba divers won't because it takes too much effort to swim there with all their gear on.

Weather looks great with temp in the low 80's and sunshine all weekend long.

It also looks like we will have a lot more families up there this year- and not just the usually rogues gallery of dive hard divers. My goal for next year is to get as many kids in the water, with their parents, as possible.:cool:

Jon

Last edited:
All spearos - This lake has special regs on panfish = 10 daily. just a FYI. I'm still thinking about using one of my benifits in order to make it there on Saturday. (sick day) ;) - I'm watching the weather to determine if I will or not. But sounds like a blast! hope to see you all there.

-----Scott

Jon,

We'll see you Friday afternoon sometime.

Jan (my wife) was asking about food. Is it a "fend for yourself", or is it a bring your own Meat (or veggies) to grill & a dish to pass?

Also, if anyone has any good ways to make suckers (other than to burry them rofl ), let me know...They count for the 2007 fishing contest ya know. :martial I'll bring the makings for a fish boil...may be good that way!

Also, if I could get my son (11 yrs old) behind a little scooter to try out, it would be much appreciated. He has been having fun sitting on the bottom every time he goes swimming at a pool/lake...I think we have a freediver-in-making! :)

See you all there.

Gene

Eating is on your own. Many of us get together on Saturday night and go into town to this little brewpub place that has great steaks, ribs, chicken and such. I know that Fred goes into town every morning because he likes to have a good breakfast before he jumps in the water- and since the guy has so little body fat on him he needs to fatten up a bit so he can slow down to the rest of us.

When it comes to freediving I don't really eat that much- especially on this kind of a weekend. I have Gatorade and maybe a yogurt for breakfast and possibly a power gel in the afternoon so that i don't waste so much energy digesting food that will take away from my breath holds. Every night I usually make up for the loss of calories with a good dinner- and a few beers. :friday

My family is planning on coming up Saturday so will be packing the camp stove and other cooking utensils- but this will be for my wife to play with as i will opt out for the weekend.

Jon

Sounds good. We'll see you there.

We will be needing to leave Sat. afternoon sometime, but are looking forward to a great time.

Jon, thank you for all of your hard work on this one.

Gene

Jeff Ceason just got up there and snagged group campsites #9 and #10 for us.:friday

I'll be up there early tomorrow morning to set camp and hit the water.

See you there!

Jon

Freedive-A-Palooza - Had a blast! Thanks Jon! and Everyone involved. And a special thanks to DB for the T's!

Attachments

• decend.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
  • freediveapalooza.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 205
  • safe diver peter.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Reactions: nostres
Freedive-A-Palooza Sat. 7-14-07

Attachments

• safety diver.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • wazeegene.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 203
  • wazeelake.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Another great year.:friday

Thanks for putting this together Jon!:king

Attachments

• peterX2.JPG
    peterX2.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 201
  • scooter_.JPG
    scooter_.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 173
  • group.JPG
    group.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Reactions: nostres
It was great to be there and meet You all boyz (and girls)! You guys are fun, thank You for very good time

Last edited:
Had a great time at Palooza. Thanks to everyone for making it an enjoyable weekend. Thank you Stephan for the Tees...to Ceason for getting the campsites...and most of all to Jon for all the work of organizing and setting up the lines, floats and all. Looking forward to more pics and videos.

Jim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT